Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 04:28 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,266,248 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't think you'd have an issue with them in your yard as long as you keep your yard cut low. You usually will have problems with chiggars from walking around in thick overgrown knee-high brush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 01:42 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
I keep my yard cut, and the chiggers will still get me if I go out barefooted or in sandals. If I wear shoes and socks, I'm okay. Yes, they are exceedingly itchy if they get on bare skin. I think they love all the rain we've had lately, too (like everything else).

Old 08-01-2007, 01:50 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,544,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawksweetie View Post
hmmm, makes the idea of a no grass lawn very appealing in some ways. Not practical or pretty, just convenient in regards to avoiding the chiggers.

Do chiggers grow in any particular kind of grass or just wherever?
"Tall" grass is the problem areas. Normal lawn mowed grass is not. The chiggers climb up the grass blades and wait for food (e.g., you) to pass.

Above ankle height up to wherever -- that is the problem area. In knee-high you get bites up to your knees. In waist-high . . . . I will leave to your imagination.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:05 PM

633 posts, read 2,541,324 times
I remember one spring our family went to watch my dad play softball and we sat in the grass and had our lunch...and the chiggers joined us, lol. Man, we were miserable.

I just wasn't sure if it was Bermuda grass, or Zoysia or some other type of grass they were prone to.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:48 PM

2 posts, read 7,936 times
Default Chiggers!!! Noooo!!!!

Well...I definitely disagree...I was attacked by an army of chiggers this summer and the damage lasted two weeks for sure. I was only in my back yard...no tall grass or weeds...but there were tomato plants. After researching I learned that they will hang out on anything tall...so that explains that. I was told by my very old..oops..and very wise mother to get OFF with as much as Deet as I could find. It actually works, along with taking a shower immediately after coming inside. Those tiny little red devils are the absolute worse thing I have encountered.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:58 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,224,009 times
Here is a link that tells you much about chiggers and the savage itching they cause.

Chiggers! (http://mdc.mo.gov/nathis/arthopo/chiggers/ - broken link)

Old 08-27-2007, 03:14 PM
RES

34 posts, read 154,188 times
Yes, watch out! The rain awhile back made them bad. Our youngest of 4 got them all through his diaper at Arcadia Trails Park. They were just about gone when one got an infection that turned into an abcess super fast...turned out to be MRSA. That is the "superbug"...a staph infection that is highly resistant to many traditional antibiotics. He is on his second round of antibiotics, has had two abcesses, and three others that tried to form. He is not even two. All from chigger bites.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:50 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,266,248 times
That is a great link KewGee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth