Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2011, 07:14 PM

176 posts, read 541,939 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a kinda funky and somewhat artsy Ft Worth area that also has good public schools. Nothing too extreme, just independent coffeshops and bookstores and not extremely socially conservative. (For those familar with Dallas we were East Dallas/Lakewood/Junius Heights folks.) My son is in elementary- and one that is good with GT kids would be especially helpful. Magnets and charters are fine too, we just don't have the money for private, and I am hoping I am not having to trade in my remaining shreds of urban-hipster cred for better schools for the kiddo, though I will if I have to. Dallas had quite a few pockets which were close-to-city but still safe and good schools... but we are new to the FW part of DFW.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 08:08 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
Tanglewood Elementary is considered the best and is in the TCU area......so you would get the scene you seek. Home prices in that area can be pretty hefty.

Also Lily Clayton Elementary and Paschal High School (both Clayton and Tanglewood feed into Paschal) but I have read that there are no really highly rated middle schools.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:54 PM

211 posts, read 495,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Tanglewood Elementary is considered the best and is in the TCU area......so you would get the scene you seek. Home prices in that area can be pretty hefty.

Also Lily Clayton Elementary and Paschal High School (both Clayton and Tanglewood feed into Paschal) but I have read that there are no really highly rated middle schools.
Tanglewood is pretty soccer-mom-ish. I think you would prefer Lily B. if you're looking for a funky, artsy vibe. And the home prices in that district are slightly less than in Tanglewood. Lily B. feeds into McLean. The 6th grade school is good, 7th and 8th, not so much. I will say however, that my kids did great there. It depends on the peer group, IMO. Paschal is the h.s. and again, it has a little bit of everything!

Old 09-05-2011, 09:11 AM

Thanks! Sounds like what I am looking for.
We will need to rent at first- looking for 2br house or duplex/apt. What are the zipcodes which feed into those schools? Is that area "near Southside"?
I think Lily B may be more our/his style, though I think they would both be great! (We have had more luck in the schools that were more flexible in their approach, as he is a great *learner* but not necessarily a great *student*.) Jr high is pretty much a rotten experience no matter what you do, so I'm not too concerned about it as long as his elemetary friends follow him there...and the high school looks very good.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:43 PM

211 posts, read 495,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewmn View Post
Thanks! Sounds like what I am looking for.
We will need to rent at first- looking for 2br house or duplex/apt. What are the zipcodes which feed into those schools? Is that area "near Southside"?
I think Lily B may be more our/his style, though I think they would both be great! (We have had more luck in the schools that were more flexible in their approach, as he is a great *learner* but not necessarily a great *student*.) Jr high is pretty much a rotten experience no matter what you do, so I'm not too concerned about it as long as his elemetary friends follow him there...and the high school looks very good.
Yes, it's considered the "near Southside." You'd be looking at 76109 east of University, and 76110. Talk to a realtor to verify the school boundaries. Good luck!

Old 09-06-2011, 04:14 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
3324 S University Drive Fort Worth TX - Home for Rent - MLS #11581862 - Realtor.com®

Old 09-06-2011, 06:22 PM

Perfect! Hopefully something just like that will be around once we get confirmation to move..that is exactly what I am looking for. Wish I could grab it, but still not 100% sure where move will be. If it is anywhere near Ft Worth I will look there!
I will also check out both schools when I arrive.
That is a very, very big help!

Last edited by littlewmn; 09-06-2011 at 06:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
View detailed profiles of: