Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 11:10 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbb303 View Post
If that bothers you, don't buy there. I'm not sure why you would get so worked up about someone that isn't bothered by it and chooses to buy there.
You are the one getting worked up about it, not me.

Personally I find it absolutely hilarious that people would pay $350k just to have the privilege of owning a brand new home. There are lots of MUCH nicer existing homes in the area in that price range that aren't built in a flood plain, across from the landfill, and down the hill from the red light district. To each his own, but I have zero desire to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 12:30 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,313,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
To each his own, but I have zero desire to live there.
Yeah, I don't want to live there either for that same reason. But I'm certainly not going to knock someone else's choice to live there, especially for reasons as silly as the dump "across the street", the 3 strip clubs that you can easily avoid driving by if you want to, or the flooding problems that are going to be addressed by the developer.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:50 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbb303 View Post
Yeah, I don't want to live there either for that same reason. But I'm certainly not going to knock someone else's choice to live there, especially for reasons as silly as the dump "across the street", the 3 strip clubs that you can easily avoid driving by if you want to, or the flooding problems that are going to be addressed by the developer.
Repping you! I have lived in the DFW area since 1978 and sooooo many areas were and are near dumps, flood zones and strip clubs. I think within the same distance of the Viridian development you can find strip clubs to Highland Park, too! I have not smelled bad air in that area in a long, long time and the new development in that area will be a good way to ensure the air quality is regularly monitored! I have been watching the work done there and like what I see!

Old 09-16-2012, 02:09 PM

24 posts, read 50,325 times
I cant believe they are building a housing development next to the Arlington Landfill.
All the land is recovered land that used to be part of the Trinity River flood plane.
About 15 years ago they dredged out a couple of shallow ponds and built up the land around them creating those lakes that are there now. I figured they were building and industrial park, cause of the location next to the landfill.
Im sure there will be people who will buy those houses then we wont hear the end of the complaints about ther foundations moving and cracking and the smell from the land fill.
Kind of like people in Euless complaining about the noise from the Airport.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:40 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,770,904 times
Good grief, we were hauling trash to that dump back in the early sixties. I would have thought it had been filled up and a new area designated as a dump by now.

I haven't been in that area in many years, but at least it surely has moved in and away from 157 quite a ways by now.

Anyone heard of when the dump will be closed (LOL It has to close at sometime)? There used to be quite of bit of river bottom land around in that area. I think maybe it was Randall Mill Rd. that meandered down through there. All I remember seeing down in there was one old beer joint and some deserted old cars. I imagine the city purchased enough land down there for future dumps, but I don't know for sure. I don't live in Arlington any longer and haven't even thought about this area in a long time, but now my curiosity is aroused.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:36 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times
I think that dump is probably closed but it is still there--
they are harvesting methane from the decomp going on inside it

I think most of the people who actually buy in that area would be coming from someplace they consider worse or from out of town/state
will be very interesting how local RE agents--not sales agents of developer--react when people want to see houses there in addition to others in Arlington or GP
you know there will be some shoppers like that

Old 09-22-2012, 07:57 AM

167 posts, read 334,696 times
My concern would not be with the dump itself, but rather the soil that the houses are being built on.

When the fill dirt settles, how will it effect foundations?

Old 09-25-2012, 01:10 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times
Article about this development in FTW paper this week--maybe Sunday's--don't remember but glanced through it and needless to say in all the descriptions of where it is being built, there was no mention of the land fill just across 157...nor any questions about the soil conditions that might require more substantial foundation construction...
One point I did notice though was the mention that many of the people who have already signed contracts for homes were from out of the area...you can believe that...

Old 09-25-2012, 06:20 PM

394 posts, read 1,256,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Article about this development in FTW paper this week--maybe Sunday's--don't remember but glanced through it and needless to say in all the descriptions of where it is being built, there was no mention of the land fill just across 157...nor any questions about the soil conditions that might require more substantial foundation construction...
One point I did notice though was the mention that many of the people who have already signed contracts for homes were from out of the area...you can believe that...
Here: Developers hope to keep up with builders at Viridian project | Business | Dallas Busines...

-Eric

Old 09-28-2012, 05:19 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,973,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meganmkelley View Post
I'm a real estate agent in the area and recently showed this community to my clients. You would never know there is a landfill across the street. It's not an eye sore, and we didn't smell anything. They have plans to keep the landfill growth further away from Collins. They also plan to have commercial buildings at the front of the community, so the homes should have even less of a view across Collins. From what I could tell, Viridian has a lot of potential and very nice homes. It still has a long way to go, but personally, the landfill wouldn't bother me as a resident. It's a good central location, and there are only so many areas left for growth.
I've never smelled anything from that landfill and I've lived in and around the area since 1977.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth