U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 11:47 AM

12 posts, read 34,965 times

Advertisements

As a longtime resident of Fort Worth proper I want to find out what the draw is to the surrounding Burbs. When you consider the fact that most of the employers, culture, arts, entertainment and quality establisted neigborhoods are inside the loop why would anyone want to to live in areas like keller, heb, arlington, grapevine ect??? The only things i see outside the loop are track homes, traffic, and chain resturants. Wish someone would explain this to me. And if the explanation is "better schools", i dont buy it, unless you want your kids to live in a bubble surrounded by other kids who are from the same socioeconomic and racial background, (unlike the real world).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 01:51 PM

10,566 posts, read 22,483,605 times
1. FWISD schools, with a few notable exceptions, are not nearly as good as the suburbs. Check out the state ratings and you'll see why. There are kids from all races and socioeconomic status in most suburban schools, too. (Southlake is the notable exception)
2. Many of us work in the suburbs, which is why we live there.
3. Not all suburbs are "track homes, traffic and chain restaurants." Grapevine is actually older than Fort Worth, and has many historic homes and a historic downtown. We also have some awesome local restaurants and 7 wineries in town.
4. Many suburbs have lower property taxes and better city services, such as public pools that are actually open, than Fort Worth.
5. If I want to go to a museum, symphony, play, etc. I can always drive into Fort Worth for a day/evening.
6. Crime rates in most suburbs are lower than in Fort Worth proper.

I can't comment on why peopel live in Keller. To me, that is suburban wasteland...

Old 09-30-2011, 04:01 PM

12 posts, read 34,965 times
Cool Grapevine older?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
1. FWISD schools, with a few notable exceptions, are not nearly as good as the suburbs. Check out the state ratings and you'll see why. There are kids from all races and socioeconomic status in most suburban schools, too. (Southlake is the notable exception)
2. Many of us work in the suburbs, which is why we live there.
3. Not all suburbs are "track homes, traffic and chain restaurants." Grapevine is actually older than Fort Worth, and has many historic homes and a historic downtown. We also have some awesome local restaurants and 7 wineries in town.
4. Many suburbs have lower property taxes and better city services, such as public pools that are actually open, than Fort Worth.
5. If I want to go to a museum, symphony, play, etc. I can always drive into Fort Worth for a day/evening.
6. Crime rates in most suburbs are lower than in Fort Worth proper.

I can't comment on why peopel live in Keller. To me, that is suburban wasteland...

If by grapevine is older than fort worth you mean where people ploped down a tent you are correct, if you mean that grapevine was a incorporated town before fort worth you are incorrect. Grapevine was incorporated in 1936, Fort Worth was incorporated in 1873. And if you meant gv has a historic downtown you mean a 2 block area with kitch shops it does have that.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:14 PM

3,043 posts, read 11,039,695 times
Quote:
I am sorry but I beg to differ. Have you ever driven through North Keller? along Johnson rd down Pearson, Mt Giliad, Fawks, etc... The entire North part of Keller is trees, acreages, horses etc... hardly any tract homes.
The city of Keller itself has a great community center, great parks etc...

Now the west of 377 that is NWFTW...yes that is a wasteland of tract homes Woodland Springs etc... But that is not Keller.
If all you are judging it by is a drive along 1709, then that is like saying ALL of Grapevine is car dealerships and chain resturants. There are HUGE areas of Grapevine that are unpleasant to see and visit (the entire area around Grapevine HS all those ugly apartments) But I don't come out and say the entire city is like that with a broad stroke because I know there are other areas of Grapevine and some very beautiful areas at that.

People like different things, why is that sooo hard for some people to accept? Those who live in the city, either Dallas, Ft worth, Chicago or NYC etc... can not understand why the rest of us would rather be flayed in the sun than live there. People who live in the country can't imagine a life where you see your neighborhors house etc...

We choose where we live on OUR criteria... Schools, Communte time, saftey, bigger lots and price. For our few years in this area it was a very good fit for our family.
It fits US, it doesn't fit you, fine great! If everyone wanted to live in exactly the same place and have the same lifestyle then what a mess that would be! People are ALL different and want different things and like different things, neither is right or wrong it's what makes you happy.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:09 PM

427 posts, read 900,185 times
I love city living (having lived in a high rise condo in Chicago for a number of years), but given the choice of living in Ft. Worth proper, or living close to work, I chose to live close to work.

I live in North FW (in that awful wasteland known as Heritage, west of 377...). I work in north FW, on 377. I usually drive to work, but have walked and rode my bike to work. I couldn't do that if I lived in FW.

I love it out, and rarely go into FW proper.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:36 PM

309 posts, read 739,233 times
I too live in the wasteland west of 377 in "false Keller" - however I chose this area for a number of reasons when I could have chosen downtown Fort Worth.

My work is two blocks from Sundance Square and agreed the commute is not great by any stretch of the imagination. However, having lived in a beautiful but centrally located London condo for many years and also having lived in the countryside, where I live now is a happy compromise. I have a nice home with a nice sized yard, I look out directly on to a picturesque lake and countryside in the other direction. I have a large parking garage for two cars and off street parking for another 4 so no parking problems or hail damage. I have nice neighbors but they aren't so close as to hear their every movement. Likewise I don't have any traffic noise to speak of. I have a brand new large grocer nearby that I could walk to if I wanted and various other retail on my doorstep but look the other way and I am out in the countryside. All in all a compromise that I am happy with because it suits me. Each to their own, live and let live

Old 10-03-2011, 08:36 PM

10,566 posts, read 22,483,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wftw View Post
If by Grapevine is older than fort worth you mean where people ploped down a tent you are correct, if you mean that grapevine was a incorporated town before fort worth you are incorrect. Grapevine was incorporated in 1936, Fort Worth was incorporated in 1873. And if you meant gv has a historic downtown you mean a 2 block area with kitch shops it does have that.
Grapevine was given its Post Office in 1854, which is considered the founding date of the city, so it is indeed older than Fort Worth. Grapevine uses its historic downtown, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, to host several festivals a year. Yes, there are some kitschy shops there, and there is also the historic Palace Theatre, several excellent restaurants, and the beautiful City Hall and Convention & Visitors' Bureau buildings. Our restored Cotton Belt Depot houses a museum about the history of Grapevine. Maybe you should take a ride on the Grapevine Vintage Railroad and spend a few hours here some weekend. There's plenty to do and see, and the Grapevine Historical Society would gladly show you around: Grapevine, TX., Historical Society

Old 10-04-2011, 10:02 AM

32,601 posts, read 51,186,049 times
free choice people--
that is why some people prefer the burbs and some people go for inside FTW proper

Old 10-04-2011, 10:04 AM

427 posts, read 900,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
free choice people--
that is why some people prefer the burbs and some people go for inside ftw proper
qft

Old 10-04-2011, 08:45 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,307,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wftw View Post
The only things i see outside the loop are track homes, traffic, and chain resturants.

I'd say urban vs. suburban education is more important than you're giving it credit for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth