Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2011, 02:26 PM

6 posts, read 15,136 times

Advertisements

My husband will be working south of FW, right off 35W, south of 20. Trying to figure out best places to live. Have researched both Aledo & Burleson & both sound like what we want. Any pros/cons/comments on either? Any other suggestions for areas that meet our criteria?

Community Criteria
1) School system is VERY important (2 young children).
2) Commute less than 30 min is ideal
3) Want to be close to restaurants (even chains) & shopping
4) Want to be in a nice community with recreation options & lots of families

Housing Criteria
1) Would prefer to keep below $300K
2) Prefer newer homes (less than 15 yrs old)
3) Would like a larger lot (at least 1/2 acre but closer to 1 acre)
4) Must be in a subdivision where kids can play

I have ruled out Southlake, Grapevine and HEB due to commute time/traffic.
Ruled out FW 76109 because of housing cost and age. Looked at Benbrook but didn't see many housing options that met our criteria.

Thanks in advance for your comments. This forum has already been very helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 03:07 PM

103 posts, read 102,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp1225 View Post
My husband will be working south of FW, right off 35W, south of 20. Trying to figure out best places to live. Have researched both Aledo & Burleson & both sound like what we want. Any pros/cons/comments on either? Any other suggestions for areas that meet our criteria?

Community Criteria
1) School system is VERY important (2 young children).
2) Commute less than 30 min is ideal
3) Want to be close to restaurants (even chains) & shopping
4) Want to be in a nice community with recreation options & lots of families

Housing Criteria
1) Would prefer to keep below $300K
2) Prefer newer homes (less than 15 yrs old)
3) Would like a larger lot (at least 1/2 acre but closer to 1 acre)
4) Must be in a subdivision where kids can play

I have ruled out Southlake, Grapevine and HEB due to commute time/traffic.
Ruled out FW 76109 because of housing cost and age. Looked at Benbrook but didn't see many housing options that met our criteria.

Thanks in advance for your comments. This forum has already been very helpful!

Hi,

My personal opinion of Burleson is rather low. Aledo is more "country" and will get you away from the feel of the city, pollution, traffic, etc. But you'll be further away from shopping and dining conveniently. Others here might be able to tell you more about either place if they've lived there. Do remember though that any feedback you get here is just others' opinions - everyone is so different and you cannot necessarily or totally judge any place by the opinions/biases/etc. of others.

One thought is have you looked at Mansfield? I believe it would fit all your criteria, except perhaps the larger lot, although there are outlying areas where you might find a parcel of land.

Good luck.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:04 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
the commute from Mansfield I think might be iffy--depending on where the house was

Burleson and Aledo have different looks--
Aledo really is sparse for shopping/restaurants--don't think it has a Target even or hospital
but probably has better schools than Burleson based on some of the data I have seen posted

Aledo has traffic and the roads can be pretty narrow (just two lane, open-bar-ditch)
if there is farmer/rancher going slow it can tie up traffic
we know someone who used to live there outside Aledo proper--took her 30 min just to get to the grocery store
lots of open land--separated neighborhoods

Burleson has had lot of construction in past 5-10 yrs--has strip malls and big box stores but it is very conservative, traditional community

think about how you spend your time--do you go to gym, pilates, YMCA, city library, dermatologist, pediatric ENT--see if you can find those in either location
see how many grocery stores are in the area or movie theaters or if you need to have your car serviced at a particular type of dealership--look for it...

you don't mention where you are moving from
if you are coming from larger, urban area or even part of the country that is not so traditional/conservative you might want to rethink moving to Aledo or Burleson--not a lot of non-traditional thinking going on there

Old 11-16-2011, 08:35 AM

32 posts, read 119,637 times
Burleson/Crowley is where you want to be, it meets all your criteria.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:57 AM

690 posts, read 1,728,811 times
Burleson would be the quicker commute, both locations are exceptional.
Two excellent choices but right now burleson has more appears to have
slightly more restaurants and growth.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:00 PM

70 posts, read 83,623 times
The Aledo schools have a much better reputation. We've known families who have moved to Aledo specifically for the schools there; can't say the same for Burleson.

Also, the I-35 corridor goes straight through Burleson, and the strip shopping places up and down that are really ugly. Aledo is much more attractive to me. Rolling pastures and such.

Good luck with your hunt!

Old 11-17-2011, 08:31 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
Aledo is OFF the main i-20 Interstate while Burleson is bisected by it--and as another poster pointed out a lot of the growth in Burleson is strip malls/big box stores that have clumped along I-35

I do think the schools are better in Aledo and personally I find the Aledo area more appealing but
it is more isolated and lacks the convenience of those big box stores that are in Burleson...
they are both pretty traditional/conservative areas so don't think attitudes will be too different from one to another
water might be one consideration--
where the water for your neighborhood is coming from
and the city services--
lot of Aledo is really unincorporated--no city services--county sheriff/constable vs police, no city fire/EMTs--
you have to check about Burleson--because lot of neighborhoods might be outside city limits as well

and Crowley ISD is struggling--would really think twice about buying in its area

Old 12-04-2011, 02:24 PM

3 posts, read 8,985 times
Just last year Burleson built a really nice rec center for city residents. Its a two story facility. On the first floor are two full basketball courts and an indoor pool w/ a lazy river and a two story tall water slide. The second floor has all kinds of fitness equipment, exercise classrooms and a walking/running track. There is also an outdoor pool for summer months. I think per visit for a resident is $12(?) and yearly family memberships can be purchased. Non city residents can also use the facility when accompanied by a resident. Have been twice, was really impressed w/ the equipment and the facility...very clean and light filled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth