U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2011, 01:51 PM

32,642 posts, read 51,283,570 times

Advertisements

Keller high school's mistake forces students to change courses mid-semester | Schools | ...

lots of peeps angry about this mistake I am sure...
going to hurt some GPAs too...
some counselor really screwed up...
100 students is more than a simple mistake--someone just did not know how to translate state policy into student requirements...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 02:01 PM

427 posts, read 901,778 times
I saw that on the news this morning...

I wonder if they can grandfather students in at this late stage...

Old 10-25-2011, 07:41 PM

no--
this info was out there for years--at least 3 because the state never makes a move to change graduation requirements w/o allowing time for everyone to know and to prepare for the change...
same thing happened with the addition of 4th year of foreign language and the need for speech/communications on the high school level--vs taking it in junior high...

those changes were announced well in advance of when it would take effect...the problem from the article seems to have been that someone did not understand that a particular type of science class was not a substitution for the 4th year science...

Normally the summer BEFORE those changes in curricula take effect, districts were scrambling to hire more science teachers or speech/communications teachers or foreign language ones because they have to add so many more classes to the roster...

Note that this did not happen at other Keller high schools at least not in these numbers--I don't know--but I guarantee you there are people at that school and head office who know exactly who is responsible for having that many kids fall through the cracks...

at the school I retired from there was one counselor who always forgot to go back and reassign/register students in her alpha who failed the A side of English if it was taken in the middle trimester--
there is never any A side offered in the 3rd tri--and if there was not a note on the student's file and red flagged, that student might get away w/o having that failed soph or junior English A side until last semester of Senior Year--that is a do-not-graduate situation--
some kids were taking it via computer in the after-school lab class...
We just learned that we always had to go back and check the kids who fell into that counselor's alpha to make sure they got rescheduled for the Fall trimester the next year...

Old 10-25-2011, 09:53 PM

13,180 posts, read 13,772,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Keller high school's mistake forces students to change courses mid-semester | Schools | ...

lots of peeps angry about this mistake I am sure...
going to hurt some GPAs too...
some counselor really screwed up...
100 students is more than a simple mistake--someone just did not know how to translate state policy into student requirements...
Really? If was a student I'd jump on that class in a heart beat. Both teachers and administrators will dumb that course down so much for the transfers, they will all walk out with A's ...just to smooth over the screw up. You know how this works.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:18 PM

yeah--and they should get the benefit of the doubt in some regard--that is why they are going in with the average out of the other class--
but the fact that they are seniors and are IN that other class is pretty indicative of their ability to manage science classes---
these kids are not in competition for the top 10 ranks--
they were taking that lower concept science because they are not that good a student in all likelyhood...
and you better believe that there ARE students in the physics class they moved into who ARE checking their class rank/GPA for college acceptance...
they (and their parents in all likelyhood) don't want to have their grades/avg/class rank jeopardized because of a counselor's mistake...
and feel sorry for the teachers who caught these overflow students--
probably their classes were already full with 25 students and not they are going to have to absorb 5+--depending on students' schedules...
it reeks...

in some high schools you only have two physics teachers for the entire classload because before the 4 science credit requirement--only students with aggressive science/math agendas chose physics--so it was not as common as chemistry...

AND these students are going to have to have their schedules changed to reflect the B side of this same physics course...
qualified physics teachers are hard to come by--
it would not surprise me if someone not certified in physics winds up teaching that B side for many of these same 100 students and makes a modified course out of it...lable it physics but teach a little something less...

this is not just a counselor's mistake though--an assistant principal at each high school should have been given responsibility to oversee the transition to 4 science credits and make sure that all students affected were being transitioned in the right way...
or the science coordinator for secondary curricula should have made sure that everyone knew what needed to be checked...

I mean ALL the public high schools in the state have followed this change--and this high school is the only one locally to make the news with big mixup...
other schools might have had a few mistakes but 100 students--that is a little less than half a semester's count of students for a teaching load...a significant number...

Old 10-28-2011, 07:57 AM

3,044 posts, read 11,050,259 times
OK I have a senior at KHS and we moved here right beofre her freshman year, EVERYONE got the handbook and in the handbook it states ALL the required clases you must have to graduate on all levels.
Recomended (for college bound) Distinguished and Alt (for non college bound)

The parents must take some responsibility for knowing what classes thier child needs etc.

YES, the counselors screwed up, but there is some personal responsibility here. ALL over the website under class schedules etc... it clearly states the 4X4 rule.

All should take take PHYSICS thier junior year, so this should have been caught last year.

It goes, Biology Chemistry Physics and then 4th science usually AP environ science.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:37 AM

not arguing that parents of these students also have some responsibility--
but I taught in public education so I know that parents usually only complain AFTER the fact and after someone else has pointed out the problem
not before--like they could have when seniors picked up schedules before school semester started...

I imagine that counselors rarely have a parent contact them to say that "my son or daughter has not been scheduled for the right class" unless the situation is about electives or a teacher selection vs a course selection...
MOST parents don't bother to read the handbook (even if they are required to sign and return the form that says they did)...
so your argument is accurate and true--but the fact is that school employees are paid to know the rules and practice them for students...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth