U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2011, 11:14 AM

4 posts, read 6,557 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I've been reading City-Data for quite some time now cause my job is taking me to the Ft Worth area. I am single with no kids, 30 years old. I was wondering what are some nice neighborhoods that I can buy for around $125,000 ?

I've been looking at houses on Zillow.com and have seen some nice houses in Burleson. Is that a decent area to live/buy ?

If not..... what areas do you recommend ?

THANKS
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 05:41 PM

32,618 posts, read 51,215,165 times
I don't put any faith in Zillow
if you want to know market price then use a local real estate site
most homes are marketed within 5% of their sales price I think on average
10% would be the max I think someone would reduce house price if it is not short sale or foreclosure

some neighborhoods in Bedford north of Airport Frwy (Shady Brook) are priced around 125K and are nice--have good elem school which is important whether you have children or not
MLS 11656255
MLS Number: 11591748 426 Circleview--needs work, older home
in Hurst just south of Harwood/north of Airport Fwy
This is nice neighborhood but due to the enlargement of the freeway which is underway that area may start to have more traffic noise than now...

MLS 11651036 in NRHills area--off Chapman Rd east of Rufe Snow (which will be widened at some point in future)--close to the Graham Ranch development which is newer with 400+K homes
there is another development NE of this older neighborhood--not sure about its price point

MLS 11687515 Wautauga but really just the other side of Rufe Snow and maybe a mile north from the listing in NRHills--close to Foster Village Park

You won't find anything in Grapevine for that money
In Euless you are probably buying south of Airport Frwy--considered less desireable than north of 183
MLS 11615522 and 11686105
neighborhoods could be borderline for stuff like burglaries, car breakins, maybe assaults
more ethnic diversity based on the demographics of the local schools

MLS: 11680843 416 Meadowcrest, Azle 76020--
Azle is NW of FTW/north of Loop 820 and kind of far from FTW
Its south and west of Eagle Mtn Lake--
this house is newer than any of previous ones I think--seems like it is in good shape--
would say check a crime map for that area specifically

MLS: 11671583 2138 Stoneridge, Keller 76248
this is Bursey Ranch edition--north of Bursey and west of Rufe Snow (east side of Keller--very close to NRHills) that particular house has been up for sale several times in past year--might be foreclosure/short sale or might have structural problems)
again would say check crime map for that area but think it should be ok

Burleson like almost any town has good and bad areas
you can check an online crime map for more specific info about what types of crimes might be happening in specific areas...

MOST homes that you are going to be finding in that price point are going to be older and need updating
and you would be wise to consider your commuting and social life
most smaller suburban towns around FTW have some restaurants/clubs/bars but most "night life" is in FTW proper--either downtown or the newer So7th area--and I guess the Stockyards to certain extent

Old 11-19-2011, 07:52 PM

69 posts, read 65,150 times
^^These are mostly in the northeastern Tarrant area.

@OP: I don't really care for Burleson. It's pretty far out of Fort Worth, IMO. Where is your job exactly?

If you're looking for something in the southern part of Tarrant County (where Burleson is), you might take a look at Crowley. I'm always amazed at the homes listed at $125K or less that look quite nice. I think the zip code is 76123. Good luck!

Old 11-19-2011, 08:00 PM

loves2read,

Thanks soooooooo much for your great reply.

I'm still in south FL and I'm transfering to Texas next year so I am trying to get an idea of what I can find, $150K is the absolute MAX that I can afford (I have $50K ca$h right now for a down payment) so I was trying to find a property in nice shape that is in a nice area. I have a 40 mile per gallon Honda Civic so I don't mind driving 20-25 miles to get to work.

Is Denton a good place to look ?

Where can I find the crime map you mentioned ?
Please post a link to the map if you have it.

Thanks a million

Old 11-19-2011, 09:37 PM

32,618 posts, read 51,215,165 times
you can google for crime maps for any town or zip code

have no clue where your job location is--
the distance is not the problem so much as the traffic congestion

my point was that there are nice areas all over the Metroplex and many of them have homes in 125K price range

Denton is for the most part a nice town but there are areas that are not so nice--
and in Denton homes in nice areas that are reasonably price are usually fairly desireable--lot of rental market for homes in Denton because there are two universities in town that draw lot of grad students who are often married--
they want homes vs apts
and lots of time students rent home together vs apt

Look at a map for the FTW area and check your job site
then run a search on this forum for those towns within what you think you can drive

read the threads that come up
there are going to be a lot of them

Old 11-19-2011, 09:46 PM

15,895 posts, read 16,220,405 times
Hi,

You don't have to list the name of your employer but if you could give us a general idea of the location of the job we can give you more specific information.

It's great to have a car that gets good gas mileage but time is also valuable and if you have to spend an hour in the car getting to work you are wasting your valuable time.

We can help you locate housing areas that will be exactly what you are looking for. I promise. Many of us have been in the Ft. Worth area for many, many years and we actually know what we are talking about......most of the time.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:23 PM

I will drive to an office and from there drive a company car. I do field service for a major medical equipment manufacturer. I will go to the office daily to get my company car and also to get the necessary parts. I will be working from an office near the Texas Speedway.... but the region I will cover can have me driving 100 miles North or South of this office. I leave to work at 6 AM everyday to beat the traffic and by 3:30 PM my day is done.

I saw a 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 2 car garage for $130K and it was built in 2005 on the net that is in Denton. Thats exactly the type of house I need, not a matchbox and not a big 2 story house.

Old 11-19-2011, 11:01 PM

15,895 posts, read 16,220,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Test Dummy View Post
I will drive to an office and from there drive a company car. I do field service for a major medical equipment manufacturer. I will go to the office daily to get my company car and also to get the necessary parts. I will be working from an office near the Texas Speedway.... but the region I will cover can have me driving 100 miles North or South of this office. I leave to work at 6 AM everyday to beat the traffic and by 3:30 PM my day is done.

I saw a 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 2 car garage for $130K and it was built in 2005 on the net that is in Denton. Thats exactly the type of house I need, not a matchbox and not a big 2 story house.
Denton is a nice town. I spent 4 years there when I was in college. It's still a bit of a drive but that is up to you. I will say that traffic coming from all directions is horrible when there is action at the Speedway. So, no matter where you live you will have to deal with traffic with an office near the Speedway. If you don't mind that then Denton is a cool place to live and the house sounds nice. I'm very big on 2 car garages. I think they are essential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth