Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2012, 12:08 PM

11 posts, read 26,464 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, we're seriously thinking of moving up to the DFW area this summer and need some input. I've raked through the threads on here regarding area, schools, shopping, taxes, etc, but would love some local opinions. We're in Austin (Lake Travis area) and have found a builder in some seemingly nice areas that can build a beautiful home for MUCH less up in your neck of the woods, specifically in the Silverleaf neighborhood of Keller, and McCreary Creek Estates in Parker. The facts that DFW shopping/restaurants are awesome and has more family friendly activities have us very interested!

So, which would you say is a better area for us? Our details:
  • Husband works from home, travels monthly, but doesn't mind (too much) a bit of a drive to the airport.
  • Great schools are a must (have boys age 9, 7, and 5)
  • Upscale area, neighborhood kids for our kids to play with, area amenities such as sport complexes, shopping, proximity to marina, close-knit community, and pleasant scenery would all be nice to have (in order of importance.)
  • Any other input on these areas would be greatly appreciated!
I absolutely realize that no area is perfect, and that the chances of getting everything one wants is very low, but I would love to hear what you guys have to say about it! Things often look amazing when you don't know all of the details.

If you have any other recommendations on large lots (meaning larger than 1/3 acre) in nice areas with good schools I'd love to hear about them too. Our budget is $650-750k. We'll be coming back up next weekend to scout around again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 04:59 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,872,645 times
Have you looked at Southlake, too?

Old 01-26-2012, 01:26 AM

62 posts, read 283,288 times
I would stay on the Keller / Southlake side . Parker is going to have that Dallas urban feel that isn't great for raising families . Keller is very close to the DFW airport . Parker will be closer to the urine soaked Dallas airport . You also get much more bang for your buck if you stay west of the metroplex rather than the Dallas side . We have a 1/2 acre lot in Southlake .

I doubt if you will find any lots larger than 1/3 acre in Parker . You may want to expand to Allen , Murphy , or Lucas , TX if you want to stay on the Dallas side .

Old 01-26-2012, 07:37 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
have you done a search for "Grand" homes--they probably have some of the worst reviews/owner satisfaction comments of any tract builder in DFW
I don't think anyone who is regular poster and knows something about the housing market would suggest you buy a Grand Home--
too fraught with negative possibilities

if price is the factor driving your decision there are way more choices in your price point (which is pretty high) than a Grand Home...including a truly custom built one
most people would rate Southlake Carroll ISD over Keller ISD
GCISD over Keller ISD (depending on individual school)
Lewisville ISD over Keller--again depending on individual school

if your husband is working from home and can deal with a 30 min drive to DFW airport infrequently then you have plenty of options for where to live--

you need a good realtor who knows the area--
I can recommend one who does Southlake, Colleyville high $$ homes
knows Keller moderately well but not that knowledgeable about Flower Mound or places in Parker co

you should consider having different realtor for different areas--there are lot of nuances that someone only familiar with the area via MLS listings would miss

Old 02-17-2012, 01:51 AM

14 posts, read 28,883 times
I lived in Parker for 5 years and I would not return to Parker, although I loved our house in the southern portion of the town. It is spread out (5.2 sq miles) and only about 2200 people, so there is no real feel of neighbor here. A lot of people in Parker are wealthy, so they aren't much interested in who you are, but what you are... big business, owner of a company, etc. Appearances are everything in Parker. My wife and I were empty nesters, so we could pretty much go our own way. I would never have lived in Parker while our kids were still at home. Parker is split between two post offices and two school districts, other factors for not feeling like a community. I was told years ago by a wise woman... "all that glitters is not gold"... a very good phrase to indicate Parker "glitters" but it's not always golden.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:58 AM

14 posts, read 28,883 times
Smile javan you are wrong about the lot sizes

Quote:
Originally Posted by javak View Post
I would stay on the Keller / Southlake side . Parker is going to have that Dallas urban feel that isn't great for raising families . Keller is very close to the DFW airport . Parker will be closer to the urine soaked Dallas airport . You also get much more bang for your buck if you stay west of the metroplex rather than the Dallas side . We have a 1/2 acre lot in Southlake .

I doubt if you will find any lots larger than 1/3 acre in Parker . You may want to expand to Allen , Murphy , or Lucas , TX if you want to stay on the Dallas side .
Javan, you are way off base on the lot sizes in Parker. If you buy in a subdivision, minimum one acre. If you are build outside a subdivision, minimum 2 acres. Parker made the mistake once in one subdivision to allow 1/2 acre lots in a small area and found that to be a mistake, so they really hold to the minimum lot sizes I just mentioned. That was one of the better features of living there, your neighbors were not on top of you. For builders, the best we found was David Weekley, although a couple of other builders in the area were good as well... but one statement to stay away from Grand... good advice.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:17 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,682,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Geezer View Post
I lived in Parker for 5 years and I would not return to Parker, although I loved our house in the southern portion of the town. It is spread out (5.2 sq miles) and only about 2200 people, so there is no real feel of neighbor here. A lot of people in Parker are wealthy, so they aren't much interested in who you are, but what you are... big business, owner of a company, etc. Appearances are everything in Parker. My wife and I were empty nesters, so we could pretty much go our own way. I would never have lived in Parker while our kids were still at home. Parker is split between two post offices and two school districts, other factors for not feeling like a community. I was told years ago by a wise woman... "all that glitters is not gold"... a very good phrase to indicate Parker "glitters" but it's not always golden.
Definitely appreciate this comment... I can see exactly what you mean.

Those 2 acre lots would hinder a sense of community somewhat. Good point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth