Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 08:56 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times

Advertisements

My daughter is going to have baby at the end of July--
they live in FL...while they won't visit that much we will need to have some baby furniture/items for living at our house...

I am not adverse to checking out Craigslist but already found several cribs listed that have been recalled by mfg and no note on the Craigslist ad...
guess that should not really surprise me but I knew enough to check for problems...and the Craigslist website has notice about recalled products...

any suggestions for places that would sell "legal/non-recalled" products but maybe like the dint/scratch variety like the Sears outlet does with appliances?

don't mind driving out of immediate area (Hurst) to Frisco or even Hillsborough but don't think there is outlet for baby furniture there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 09:32 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,615,317 times
You might try thrift stores like Thrift Town or Once Upon a Child for some things.

I have to say though that unless they are planning on staying with you for extended lengths of time, I don't think I'd invest in a crib at all. I provide child care from my home and I use a play yard for the baby I keep and it has served me excellently for 9 years now.

There are some on the less expensive end like this from Walmart: Walmart.com: Baby Trend - Playard, Jungle Friends: Gear
It has an insert for use with the newborn babies that can be removed once they begin to roll over. The play yard itself can be used until they are most likely ready to nap in a regular bed. It can be left set up or taken down easily in most cases.

There are all kinds of things available with them and all levels of cost. However they are still far less expensive than a crib-no need to buy a mattress(minimum $40) or crib sheets. Having a play yard also eliminates some of the risks for SIDS. You don't have to worry about a baby getting stuck due to a mattress not fitting correctly or getting caught in side slats. Bumper pads are no longer recommended due to smothering hazard, and there is no need for them in a play yard. Plus since the sides do not move, there is no risk to them falling.

You might find a swing or bouncy seat to be more helpful to have right away instead of a crib or play yard since many newborns do not sleep well laying flat without movement.

The only other thing you may need right away is a shelf or two to store some diaper needs. It will be a few months before you need anything else like a high chair or toy storage.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:00 PM

690 posts, read 1,729,147 times
There is a resale shops on Hwy 26 by Tarrant County College
A mens resale, childrens resale, and I believe the third is the baby resale shop.
8218 Boulevard 26 Fort Worth, TX 76180-7204

Old 01-17-2012, 02:20 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,316,107 times
One thing you might consider: buying baby furniture online through JC Penney. They don't carry the items in the store, but you can get some great deals. We were able to purchase 3 pieces of furniture (crib, changing table, and chest) for less than the cost of a bed at one of the baby retailers. It was new, high quality, and I think we were able to get all 3 pieces for about $800. There are a lot of good online coupons for JC Penney if you hunt for them and you can ship items to the store for pickup for free. The downside is not being able to see the furniture for yourself.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:29 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
I'd buy whatever I needed on Craigslist and just research the brands that I find there to make sure there hasn't been a recall. I have had several grandchildren and other babies visiting over the years and I think having a crib is a big waste of money and space. I'd get a portable crib that folds or a playpen. The playpen is pretty useful because it can be used for sleeping and safe play area.

CONGRATS GRANDMA!!!!

Old 01-18-2012, 01:36 PM

thanks Squirl--we are pretty happy for our daughter and SIL--they have had to wait longer than post of their friends to start their family

We will probably go with a pack/play for bed and just see what is really necessary--

the thing I probably need to do most is get our dog acclimated to babies--
she is not really used to children of any size and they make her nervous...

Old 01-18-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
thanks Squirl--we are pretty happy for our daughter and SIL--they have had to wait longer than post of their friends to start their family

We will probably go with a pack/play for bed and just see what is really necessary--

the thing I probably need to do most is get our dog acclimated to babies--
she is not really used to children of any size and they make her nervous...
If it were my dog, I'd probably try and get her used to being crated .... have a really comfy bed in the crate and always give her rewards when I put her in there. I'd work on slowly getting her to be in the crate for short periods of time. Then when baby is visiting, maybe having the crate in a remote place and put her there when baby is mobile or when she seems nervous....

Old 01-18-2012, 08:05 PM

my dog sleeps a large part of the day--so she might not even mind being crated but I would feel guilty about doing it
and a baby that is not crawling around but being carried (like this one will initially) is not going to even really be visible--until it is older
I guess I just don't believe that much in crating a dog--but know some people who use that method

Old 01-18-2012, 09:19 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,615,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
my dog sleeps a large part of the day--so she might not even mind being crated but I would feel guilty about doing it
and a baby that is not crawling around but being carried (like this one will initially) is not going to even really be visible--until it is older
I guess I just don't believe that much in crating a dog--but know some people who use that method
Sadly that's the kind of misinformed thinking about dogs that often results in babies being mauled by one that is otherwise perfectly behaved.

Unless your dog has lost all it's hearing and sense of smell, it will be very tuned in to having a baby in the house, mobile or not. Baby's cries can make many dogs very anxious, whether they can see them or not. Their kicking of legs can put a dog on alert as well.

The dog may go on the hunt for that noise and when they find it you just cannot predict their behavior towards what they find. Even the most well tempered dog can turn vicious in a scenario where they are scared and perhaps feel threatened.

The reason for crating is not to punish a dog, it is to protect the dog. A crate gives the dog a safe place to go when they feel anxious or threatened. For most dogs it is a relief to be in their own small spot. I'd rethink this if I were you.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
Sadly that's the kind of misinformed thinking about dogs that often results in babies being mauled by one that is otherwise perfectly behaved.

Unless your dog has lost all it's hearing and sense of smell, it will be very tuned in to having a baby in the house, mobile or not. Baby's cries can make many dogs very anxious, whether they can see them or not. Their kicking of legs can put a dog on alert as well.

The dog may go on the hunt for that noise and when they find it you just cannot predict their behavior towards what they find. Even the most well tempered dog can turn vicious in a scenario where they are scared and perhaps feel threatened.

The reason for crating is not to punish a dog, it is to protect the dog. A crate gives the dog a safe place to go when they feel anxious or threatened. For most dogs it is a relief to be in their own small spot. I'd rethink this if I were you.
^that, however don't want to thrack this thread into a dog topic when the OP is asking about baby furniture. My dogs love their crates which stand open in a remote bedroom and I don't crate my dogs unless there are visitors who are fearful of dogs or if there's a baby visiting and I can't supervise the dogs. My 10 year old boxer goes to her crate regularly when she needs peace...its one of her favorite places in the house. Since I am part of a few rescue groups, it saddens me how many families surrender dogs when they get new babies because they never learned how to manage their dogs and become fearful for baby's safety.

But, 'nuff said about dogs! Another item you might want to pick up is a baby monitor if you find one cheap....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth