Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 12:31 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,840,928 times

Advertisements

Nice to see Arlington has finally realized UTA is the key to the cities future. College Park Center is just the beginning of many great things in stored for Downtown Arlington. You got to love the fact Arlington is moving towards a more urban feel with emphasis on downtown Arlington revitalization. Los Colinas watch out!!!

http://media.star-telegram.com/smedia/2012/02/01/22/36/1nI5AG.St.58.jpg (broken link)

http://media.star-telegram.com/smedia/2012/02/01/22/38/PgAE4.St.58.jpg (broken link)

http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/02...city-join.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 09:55 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
Las Colinas (Spanish words that end in "a" are preceded by Las, end in "o" are preceded by "Los") is not worried about Arlington stealing their downtown area. Although I bet Valley Ranch is a bit worried about the long term viability of the Cowboys training camp staying in Irving.

Arlington and Irving are several miles apart. They are in different counties and attract different types of residents.....those who want to live close to Dallas vs. those who want to live close to FTW. And I always think of the section of North Arlington that's north of I-30, as more like Euless/Hurst in character.....not like the rest of Arlington.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:50 PM
k_s

405 posts, read 896,562 times
I went to UTA, so I'm very happy with where the campus and city are going. I do agree with Squirl -- Arlington and Las Colinas residents are not the same, so I don't think the latter is going to be affected by the advances.

There is more information about the development here: College Park District - The University of Texas at Arlington

Old 02-05-2012, 01:07 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,840,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Las Colinas (Spanish words that end in "a" are preceded by Las, end in "o" are preceded by "Los") is not worried about Arlington stealing their downtown area. Although I bet Valley Ranch is a bit worried about the long term viability of the Cowboys training camp staying in Irving.

Arlington and Irving are several miles apart. They are in different counties and attract different types of residents.....those who want to live close to Dallas vs. those who want to live close to FTW. And I always think of the section of North Arlington that's north of I-30, as more like Euless/Hurst in character.....not like the rest of Arlington.
Ok...Now that was not meant to be taking so literally....

Old 02-07-2012, 11:05 AM

160 posts, read 198,215 times
What are the other college-town-like enclaves in the DFW area? (I'm slightly more interested in FW.) College Park-Arlington sounds appealing but also like they just broke ground on it.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:38 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sywi View Post
What are the other college-town-like enclaves in the DFW area? (I'm slightly more interested in FW.) College Park-Arlington sounds appealing but also like they just broke ground on it.
TCU and SMU areas are the most notable. Texas Christian University (FTW); Southern Methodist University (Dallas)

Old 02-13-2012, 11:49 PM

34 posts, read 53,864 times
Ten years ago I went to school at uta along with my wife, lived in the dorm next door to college park, lived in the now demolished apartments where a park is now, and still live in the neighborhood about two miles away. What UTA has done with just Pecan, Mitchell to downtown is pretty neat. It used to be a ghost town on weekends as the few that actually lived on campus ALWAYS left to Houston, Ellis county, or whatever locale they called home it certainly was not Arlington. Nobody cared about uta ever unless it was academically related (the school seemed to have a more prevalent image in some foreign countries than other parts of texas) . The college life just didn't happen. I have been very excited and skeptical during this transition but overall the face of the city center is drastically improving. Restaurants along downtown was just unheard of years ago when all you would see is an old man pedaling his ice cream bike down the road and junk cars sitting around apartments from the 1960s.

I have some reservations about all the buying of image and not creating cultures. Will uta ever have an Austin drag, it doesn't seem like it? That was built over decades of creation and festivals that are attended by the entire world. It will take more than some light retail shoved under resort condo dormitories and a once a year oozeball as long as we are not in a drought. And don't forget our president has vowed to never have football while he is in position.

A couple key things for helping this village center grow: Our davis st neighbor coalition that hates bikes and anything that changes their street from 1965, if you want people to walk more and bike more keeping them very near and local you have to facilitate it. Arlington needs to work on getting transits from using Davis for a commute across town along with a couple other streets. This is key for opening the neighborhood access up for students, professors, and other professionals (gasp) walking to work and school. I know they hate the new dorm/apartments too and I sort of agree with them, though its dumping hundreds of students into the neighborhood. If there are more things to do, a local grocer to buy food for less than the 5/box wallgreens cereal, and open areas people will have less and less need to drive and create traffic diminishing the village feel.

Go downtown and get a pizza, mellow mushroom is great! Come support our village

Last edited by flyntexn; 02-13-2012 at 11:57 PM..

Old 02-18-2012, 09:28 PM

160 posts, read 198,215 times
I won this fellowship to study at the Centers for Disease Control for two weeks and they spent an entire day on how crucial walkable communities are to public health. Sidewalks and crosswalks to start with. It can be done. And it's important. We die of lifestyle diseases these days. The lifestyle being "sedentary." It's hard to avoid, when you can't walk across the street because there's no crosswalk.
I think these plans are a great idea. My home town was designed that way and it was an amazing place to grow up. No traffic problems; we kids rode our bikes everywhere; town had its own center and restaurants and bookstores; going for a walk was a pleasure.
It can be done. Just needs a little vision and planning.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:04 PM

382 posts, read 420,638 times
I went to UTA for undergrad as well. My wife and I currently live in a great neighborhood in SW Arlington, not far from the lake. It had been a while since we drove through Arlington, and yuck!!

I forgot how gritty the inner part of Arlington is. Taking the scenic route going south from 183, you get to see the landfill, topless "entertainment", miles of unkempt storefronts, old, unkempt housing, two very nice, very expensive, and very empty stadiums, then more miles of unkempt storefronts, ancient apartments and, tragically, what look to be - almost NEW (within the last 10-15 years) - falling apart fences and subdivisions...it doesn't break until you hit Mansfield.

I'd like to say I was surprised. But not really. Arlington has historically been a case study in poor planning. I was hoping the tide had turned in the 15? or so years since I graduated from UTA, but it looks like not. I guess this is what people think when you say you live in "Arlington". Which explains the looks of confusion and sympathy. And when they visit our neighborhood, some have actually said, "this is Arlington? It looks more like Connecticut".

I really hope the College Park idea takes root, much like Sundance Square did in Fort worth almost 30 years ago. Arlington has the best location in the metroplex. They need to find a way to create a place where people actually want to live, not just attend professional sporting events.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:23 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,902,608 times
I was in Arlington the other weekend and I have two things to say:

- I LOVE CPC and what they're trying to do.

- Arlington has NO downtown what so ever. So this should help a ton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth