Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 08:52 PM

15 posts, read 32,611 times

Advertisements

So I've read a lot of threads about the best private schools in Dallas but since we're in Mansfield I would like to know what schools are good in the Fort Worth area. So far people have been telling me Oakridge, FW County Day and Fort Worth Christian.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 07:56 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,496,953 times
Trinity Valley is another good school--strong academics, decent athletics which is important to boys usually
Nolan Catholic is high school and you don't have to be Catholic to attend

Old 02-16-2012, 01:51 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,101,157 times
All Saints is also pretty good.
http://www.asesftw.org/ftpimages/100/download/Profile-Final(HighRes).pdf (broken link)

But really FW Country Day is the king and if you get in & can afford it, you should do it.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:04 PM

211 posts, read 492,511 times
I work at one of these schools, and I agree with all the assessments. They are all expensive and difficult to get into. Mansfield is actually closer to Oakridge, and there are many Mansfield families there. It's a great school.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:37 AM

425 posts, read 990,642 times
I don't have any personal perspective, but a close friend has a daughter in FWCD, and a son at All Saint's - she is talking about moving her son our of All Saint's after one year, because she isn't happy with the school. She is looking at putting him back into public school.

YMMV

Old 02-24-2012, 08:50 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,602,257 times
We have had a great experience with Oakridge. Were very happy with it for a few years. My granddaughter is now in public school, because her parents want to use the local Butler Elementary. But the plan is for her to return to Oakridge for middle school.
Another thought for Mansfield, for elementary, is Merrywood in Duncanville. My grandson and also a friend's son attended and I heard great reviews.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:22 PM

Trust me....you do not need to go to Dallas for an excellent private school education. You can get that in FW. I am not going to drop names, but a family that you have all heard of transferred their daughter from a Dallas school to a FW school because the family moved for business reasons. They have praised the FW school and love it every bit as much, if not more, than their Dallas school....wish I could name names, but I can't.

I hope you're still considering Country Day, Trinity Valley, All Saints or Oakridge.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:08 PM

2 posts, read 12,285 times
Calvary

Old 03-12-2012, 01:47 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,283,340 times
I am about 99% sure I know who you are referencing, and I am glad that she is doing well. I totally agree that you can get a great education in FW. Many of the private schools are really good, but I don't believe that they compete with Greenhill, St. Marks, or Hockaday. If you look at the numbers, St. Marks will have on average 5-6x the number of NMSF as Country Day or Trinity Valley.

I have had some in depth conversations with a very good friend in FW about this and he had one theory. A huge percentage of the kids at the Dallas elite schools have parents who are either doctors or lawyers. (out of a class of 36 kids, you will have 25-30 parents who are doctors or lawyers). FW has a much smaller medical and legal community.

My theory is a little different. I think that the elite schools have a larger geographical pool. I know numerous families that started out in Frisco, Plano, etc. that moved once their kids were admitted.

Also, Pashal seems to grab numerous kids who end up being NMSF. I have not checked it in a while, but it seems like it had more than all of the other FW schools combined.

Overall, I would not hesitate to send my kids to a FW Private school. I would say the top ones are equal to ESD- which means that they are very good.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
I am about 99% sure I know who you are referencing, and I am glad that she is doing well. I totally agree that you can get a great education in FW. Many of the private schools are really good, but I don't believe that they compete with Greenhill, St. Marks, or Hockaday. If you look at the numbers, St. Marks will have on average 5-6x the number of NMSF as Country Day or Trinity Valley.

I have had some in depth conversations with a very good friend in FW about this and he had one theory. A huge percentage of the kids at the Dallas elite schools have parents who are either doctors or lawyers. (out of a class of 36 kids, you will have 25-30 parents who are doctors or lawyers). FW has a much smaller medical and legal community.

My theory is a little different. I think that the elite schools have a larger geographical pool. I know numerous families that started out in Frisco, Plano, etc. that moved once their kids were admitted.

Also, Pashal seems to grab numerous kids who end up being NMSF. I have not checked it in a while, but it seems like it had more than all of the other FW schools combined.

Overall, I would not hesitate to send my kids to a FW Private school. I would say the top ones are equal to ESD- which means that they are very good.
I would not disagree with anything you have said. And yes, I'm sure we're referring to the same person! But I think your doctor/lawyer theory is kind of interesting. I have never looked at it that way. Most of our "elite" families are "old money," work for the Basses or an oil company...not the doctor/lawyer crowd, whom I would put in a second tier at our school, financially. And yes, Paschal does produce a lot of NMS kids. More than the privates combined! And these are not doctor/lawyer kids or "old money"...mostly hard-working, college-educated parents...bankers, CPAs, great kids, nonathletes. Most of the NMS kids at the privates are more well-rounded than the Paschal kids, in my opinion, of course. (and my own kids went to Paschal, but were definitely NOT NMS! LOL).

Last edited by LuvsFW; 03-12-2012 at 07:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth