Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2012, 01:08 PM

117 posts, read 367,747 times

Advertisements

Recently I ran across this article about an innovative facebook group, Urgent Animals at Fort Worth Animal Care and Control. It's run by volunteers who are trying to get the word out about animals in imminent danger of being put to sleep at animal control in the hope that someone will adopt them. It seems to be making a difference!
I'm not local but I was impressed by how this effort seems to be making a real difference in Ft Worth and I am hoping to encourage more sharing of urgent animals in my community too. Good job on heading in the right direction, DFW folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 05:55 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,872,645 times
Now if they would just start testing their cats for feline leukemia virus before putting them up for adoption. I will not adopt from anyone without proof of a negative FLV because I do not want to endanger the health of my other cat. Dallas Animal Services does test, and I am willing to make the drive over there to know I am adopting a healthy cat.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:17 PM

I get the impression that this shelter has very, very few resources. The volunteers who run the facebook page have mentioned many times that the animals there do not get any medical care while they are there. Sadly that includes animals who come in with injuries apparently. The rescuers work hard to try to help the sick and injured animals get out of the shelter so they can get help, but there are so many that it is hard for them to help all of them. Many of the animals who are on the euthanasia list every day are being put to sleep because they caught colds basically. It is sad to see animals who have treatable illnesses die - but there are so many and apparently not enough money for them.
Does anyone know more about how the shelter is run?

Old 03-19-2012, 02:21 AM

1 posts, read 4,665 times
There is also a page on there called "Hey, Thats my dog" that helped me find my sisters dog and others as well. It is a pretty great group, but I will be checking this one you mentioned out as well to cross reference. Thank You!

Old 03-19-2012, 04:55 PM

61 posts, read 160,401 times
I am very upset with the City of Fort Worth for Putting any "Healty" animal down. There are Multiple options available to the city. The City was praised on the Oprah show for creating a No Kill Policy after several months of begging her to use her power to advocate for the animals. There are apparently no policies in place for the Pound vs Humane society! There are at least 17 groups in Texas alone advocating for No-Kill policies around the state. They are relocating the over flow population to increase adopt-ability and searching out Foster homes. It has been proven to work around Austin in their time of need following the Wild Fires that ravaged the area last year. I have been trying hard for three years to assist in the No-Kill endeavor but have run out of funds since Un-employment ran out. Until more People stand up in front of city council this un-necessary killing will continue. I just hope that it is not some child's lost pet that is being destroyed because the city cant take the time to locate a foster home, re-locate the pet to another shelter within the city, or post the new pets found to the city's website of incarcerated animals of the week!

Old 03-22-2012, 11:00 PM

It seems like lately things have been worse than they were before. Right now the people on the facebook group are having a hard time getting dogs out because a lot of the local rescues are full and not many new people are volunteering to foster dogs. It's a very sad situation. I see so many good dogs on their page that would make good pets. If anyone reading this is in a position to be able to foster, please do so! It's desperately needed!
Unfortunately the shelter's list for euthanasia often isn't even finished until late in the day, so in many cases dogs are not even known to be in danger until around 6pm, and the emails asking the dog to be spared need to be in before 7 am the next day! 13 hours is not long enough to network and find homes in many cases!
It's such a waste of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
View detailed profiles of: