Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2012, 08:04 AM

12 posts, read 24,946 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I may be possibly moving for a job (south of 20, east of 35, near E Altamesa Blvd), which I've been told is still Fort Worth. I have been reading through the forums to try and get a sense of different places and having some trouble figuring out the best fit. I plan on also visiting, and living in Fort Worth for some time, but was hoping to have it narrowed down a bit before then.

My husband and I (both mid-late 30's) are moving from Northern VA, so we are definitely looking forward to a big yard (by which I mean at least 1/2 acre, which is probably small by TX standards). No kids, so school districts are only important inasmuch as they affect resale, and 2 very small dogs, so dog-friendly would be great. We are looking at the $400-$500K range, but would be willing to go as high as $600K for the perfect place.

Biggest priority is commute time to my job. I have been doing 50min to an hour (more with traffic) for almost 2 years and I cannot take it anymore! I am looking for something at least half of that during 8am-5pm working hours.

Other priorities, other than 1/2 acre lot and 3-5BR house, are nearby entertainment (non-chain restaurants, museums, shopping, etc.) and other small businesses. We like the feel of a medium-sized city and would miss it if we didn't live near one, I think. Minor priority/preference would include some sort of water on the property (not a pool), like a little creek, or pond, or lake- or riverfront - something like that. We could definitely go with a community-shared or subdivision-owned body of water.

Here are some quick options I thought of, for which I was hoping for a little more information:

Near Lake Arlington (southeast side)
East side of Benbrook Lake
Tanglewood
Kennedale
Mistletoe Heights
North Greenbriar

Also, if you have other suggestions that would fit the bill, I am definitely open to hearing about it!! Thank you so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 10:18 AM

690 posts, read 1,728,588 times
Hello;

If you want to cut down on that drive may I suggest checking out Burleson or within your list the East side of Benbrook lake. The drive to benbrook has open land but once that tollway gets opened up to granbury, I feel the businesses and housing will begin developing. Thus making all that open land eventually a concrete city in the years to come.

Good Luck

Old 03-07-2012, 11:23 AM

Thanks RockyJoe817.

I had heard that Burleson is a little more suburban/rural so I had hoped to stay really close to Fort Worth proper - maybe I heard incorrectly?

Also, are all those areas more than a 20-30 minute commute? If so, I am really going to re-think my living options....blurgh.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:13 PM

58 posts, read 207,202 times
"We like the feel of a medium-sized city and would miss it if we didn't live near one, I think."
I'm confused by this statement. The areas you mention are not in medium size cities. Most of them are enclaves of Fort Worth and part of the DFW metroplex with a population of 6 million. You really can't tell when you're going from one "city" to another in the metroplex... the development is throughout. Are you considering Fort Worth a "medium size" city? It's like the 17th largest city in the nation (and part of the 4th largest metro area).

Old 03-07-2012, 12:19 PM

83 posts, read 169,336 times
Mistletoe Heights is a good neighborhood, it is very close to museums and shopping, and your commute time wouldn't be any longer than 35 minutes at rush hour. Tanglewood is also a good area, it is a bit further from the museums than Mistletoe Heights, but not much further, and there are still many stores nearby. Burleson is also a nice town to live in, you'd be close to work, depending on which side of IH35 you live on, you might not even have to get on the freeway. The only downside of Burleson is that it is a bit far from museums that the other locations, while there is plenty of shopping there is nothing but chain restaurants nearby.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:27 PM

690 posts, read 1,728,588 times
Your Right!!!

It was the 1/2 acre lots that actually directed my attention on your question. Yes, I would say that

It is approx 20-30 minute commute south of I-20.
Burleson and Benbrook are suburbs of Fort Worth, There is a new tollway that is being build south
of Fort Worth that will be connecting Downtown to Granbury.

But at that price you can get a really nice home even one in a gated community but the greenery and elbow room in those locations is closing in. Front yards and Back yards are becoming a luxury
within these new developments.
The priority of nice homes with the dining room, formal dining and nice manicured yard vs land are still around but just part of the specifics.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:42 AM

156 posts, read 283,816 times
Assuming your print point includes property taxes and insurance? In Fort Worth a $350,000 home is about $8,000-9,000 a year.

We don't have a state income tax but they get you through the property tax.

1/2 acre yard will be hard to find in proper Fort Worth, but many areas are near very nice parks, the Tanglewood area has Overton Park which is very nice with tails and such and the Overton area has direct acess to the Trinity trails.

The Trails extend from Benbrook to downtown so lots of areas access it.

Just depands on how you want to use green space, do you want to tend it or just use it? Nice to enjoy a park and not have to mow it!

Old 03-08-2012, 01:49 PM

37 posts, read 91,842 times
1/2 acre lots in the city are going to be a bit difficult to come by, but if you can go to the surburbs surrounding Fort Worth, i.e. Mansfield, Benbrook, Burleson, etc., there is a great chance you can find what you're looking for. These areas are rapidly expanding. Thanks! - Megan Phelps

Old 03-23-2012, 06:53 AM

Thanks for the info, all!! Looks like I'll either have to scale back a little on lot size to be in Ft Worth proper or look outside of the city. Thanks for the info on property tax too - that's always good to know up-front!

Old 03-24-2012, 08:19 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Your lifestyle points towards the city neighborhoods you mentioned like Tanglewood; however your lot size requirement is unrealistic (in general and also for your budget). Something will have to "give" on your wish list and I have a feeling you'll be happier if you compromise on lot size. There are tons of great parks and public greenspace in thr city of FW so as with other cities (NYC, DC, SF), you'll see lots of people out enjoying those amenities vs having large yards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth