Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 09:15 PM

307 posts, read 980,847 times

Advertisements

I am currently considering moving to the Fort Worth area of Texas. I am aware of how big the area is and don't want to live within Fort Worth proper but in a small/medium-sized community nearby. I am not sure where to live based on my criteria and don't have the resources to come visit first.

(1) I am a musician (Traditional Country Music/Honky Tonk and Blues) and want to live in an area that is highly musical with plenty of band opportunities and Honky-Tonks, live-music venues etc. I am aware that Fort Worth has plenty of this going on.

(2) My family is a country/agricultural, conservative/moderate and has old-fashioned values therefore we really desire a laid-back, down-home with old-fashioned values/standards/behavior and TRADITIONAL, "Old" Texas-type of environment. Don't want a socially modern, progressive environment.

I understand that some of these statements don't really suit some of the "Big-City" cultures, however it is VERY important to be within reasonable distance to "Big-City" ammenities.

We would prefer a city that is 40,000 to 150,000 population but near Fort Worth, no more than 20-30 miles. We would also be interested in smaller communities that are 10,000 to 40,000 in population if they are adjacent to Fort Worth or within 10 miles.

I have looked into towns that are small/medium around the area on the map/city-data but I am simply unsure about the quality of life per our needs given that I have never been to the area and explored. Sadly, I would be unable to do that prior to moving, so I am hoping to get some thorough, detailed info about well-suited communities in the FW area from locals like yourselves.

Thank you for your help. Take good care now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 10:01 PM

690 posts, read 1,729,004 times
Hello;

In my opinion, you are describing Denton, TX.
The university is known for its music and musicians. Places to play your music,
25 miles to downtown Fort Worth for additional gigs at honky tonks, bars, clubs etc.
Plenty of opportunity to get in with a band and such.
Small town feel with all the amenities of a large city.
I wish I could say more but you will have to experience the place for yourself.
I don't think you would be disappointed.

Good Luck

Old 03-08-2012, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyJoe817 View Post
Hello;

In my opinion, you are describing Denton, TX.
The university is known for its music and musicians. Places to play your music,
25 miles to downtown Fort Worth for additional gigs at honky tonks, bars, clubs etc.
Plenty of opportunity to get in with a band and such.
Small town feel with all the amenities of a large city.
I wish I could say more but you will have to experience the place for yourself.
I don't think you would be disappointed.

Good Luck
Thank you for the reccomendation. I will look into Denton. From how you describe, it sounds good.

Please continue with ideas and suggestions folks, thanks.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:30 PM

3 posts, read 8,384 times
I'd actually second Denton based on music- the Jazz is some of the best in the nation and there's plenty of places with clubs and bars for live music. I went there during college and the atmosphere is laid back, help your neighbor say hello as you pass people. It may be more liberal than you'd like though just because it is a college town. You'll see a greater international diversity as well bc of the exchange student programs.

For more of a traditional/upright type of environment I'd go with Aledo or Weatherford. They've both grown significantly the past 15 years or so and are commuter communities to Fort Worth. There's not much place within the towns for music other than in churches though. I know up until two years ago Weatherford was dry and you'd have to drive the 35 minutes to Ft. Worth to get a drink. Very traditional Christian values and little to no diversity. Both towns are big on agriculture/farm and will be quick to tell you that Parker County is the cutting horse capital of the world.

Denton- 25-35 mins from Ft. Worth
Aledo- 15 mins to Ft. Worth
Weatherford- 35 mins to Ft. Worth

Old 03-27-2012, 09:57 AM

3 posts, read 12,919 times
I am a traveling nurse and will be starting a 3 month assignment in Denton, Tx next week. I am curious as to where people in their late 20's-30's live in this town. I would prefer not to live in an apartment over-run by college students. Also, I will be traveling with a dog so being pet-friendly is a must. I also will need for it to be furnished as well. I am open to commuting from a surrounding town of Denton but not too far as I know traffic can get very congested.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:02 PM

4 posts, read 10,414 times
I would scratch denton off the list. It's a college town with similar culture. It's a far cry from what I would consider "traditional". It also has well over a half million people.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:53 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,975,697 times
It's really the Austin area that would fit best. By far and away, a much bigger live music scene than the DFW area.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:47 AM

48 posts, read 291,583 times
Denton is not bad. The music scene is limited. Well limited to the UNT student population. Even they go to Dallas and Fort Worth on the weekends. I went to school there.
Weatherford, is the place for you I think. Less than half a hour from Billy Bob's and the Famous Fort Worth Stockyards. You don't have to go far on any road in or out of Weatherford to be in the "country". In town, there is all the amenities of a big city.
And Friendly? I once stopped to get my bearing when we moved to Parker county and four people stopped to see if I was OK! Try that in the city!
At any rate, Welcome to the area.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:50 PM

I'm sorry I was not able to keep up with this thread at the time I posted it a few months back, but I am still very interested in this area as a possible place to move very soon.

The requirements I mentioned in my OP are still true however, I am also wanting to continue with ranch work, especially equine. I would like to add that I need to know as to whether the rural Fort Worth area is a cattle ranching/equine area? I will be working in agriculture primarily and hope to continue ranch work. I will own horses as well as desire to work on a horse ranch in the area. If anyone can verify as to whether or not this area well suits or whether other areas of TX are better suited along with the criteria in my OP, please do.

Pretty much looking for traditional Texas cowboy culture and ranching life. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Last edited by countryway; 09-05-2012 at 06:09 PM..

Old 09-05-2012, 06:24 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Weatherford has a bunch of really nice cutting horse ranches. North Texas Horse Country | A Driving Tour | Weatherford
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth