U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2012, 03:56 PM

5 posts, read 8,613 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to the DFW area in a couple of months. I have read about Flower Mound and Grapevine and I would like to know about the middle schools and high schools in that area. And, are there any select soccer clubs for boys in that area? Also, what neighborhoods are good in both of these areas? Lastly, what roads and how long does it usually take to go from these places (Flower Mound and Grapevine) to Irving?
Thanks !
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 08:08 PM

10,536 posts, read 22,415,377 times
GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community can give you info about the FM and GCISD schools.

Google says Flower Mound to Irving is 26 minutes, and Grapevine to Irving is 17 minutes. Google's estimates do not include traffic, which is pretty heavy coming out of FM since there is no highway. From Grapevine, you will be going against traffic on the highways, and you can also cut across DFW Airport to save even more time.

What type of housing are you looking for,and what is your budget for it? Be aware that rentals in both of these towns go very quickly due to the demand.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:28 PM

5 posts, read 8,613 times
Thanks!
What you mean there's no highway coming out of FM? What roads I need to take to go to Irving?
I will probably rent a house first because I don't know the area I would say my budget is U$ 1,500.00/month.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:55 PM

Look on a map. There is no highway that is easily accessible to Flower Mound. You will have to drive down FM2499 to 635 with everyone else, or drive all the way through Lewisville to I35E, which is really out of the way. This lack of roads leading out is the major drawback to Flower Mound.

Your budget is also likely too low for Flower Mound, and it will be tight in Grapevine, too. PM me if you need the name of a Grapevine property rental company.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:22 PM

32,537 posts, read 51,063,879 times
there are plenty of select soccer teams--in all areas of DFW

Old 03-21-2012, 11:33 PM

473 posts, read 1,070,217 times
Let me attempt to answers your questions and provide a more accurate perspective.
2499 in Flower Mound is 6 lane divided state highway (3 lane each way).Other 6 lane state highways from/into FM are 1171 and 3040. 1171 & 3040 takes you to Interstate 35 and 2499 takes you to Interstate 121/635/114. There are other internal roads that also takes you to 121/ 114 if you want to avoid traffic. As part of a comprehensive mobility plan, 37 street road projects completed in FM in the last 2 years without any tax burden on FM residents .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Google says Flower Mound to Irving is 26 minutes, and Grapevine to Irving is 17 minutes.
There are 2 major variables on commute time - Distance & Traffic:

Distance: Grapevine is nearer to Irving. The 10 mins difference amounts to 5- 6 mile in google. Obviously Grapevine is 5-6 miles nearer to Irving than FM.
On google map, depending on where you live in Grapevine, you will have to take state highway 26 or internal roads to reach Interstate 114/ 635 from Grapevine JUST LIKE the state highway 2499 from FM.

Traffic: You don't have to worry about traffic during normal hours. Traffic is relative for each individual. In peak time, traffic is bad everywhere in DFW. Access to highways is important but the chances of getting your dream house near the highway is less. Once you reach the highway the traffic conditions are same for FM or Grapevine residents. Residents of both FM & Grapevine will benefit due to the construction of DFW connector project which will ease traffic on Grapevine funnel (121/114/635). 635 is also going to go into construction pretty soon. Traffic is not rosy for Grapevine residents either. I regularly go through Grapevine and experience traffic issues even during normal times.

Its good to compare relative difference rather than making blanket statement.

Irving is big ? Where is your work? North or South Irving? Last week, it took us 20 min to reach South Irving from FM during regular time.

All FM public schools are top notch specially the high schools . Lot of people move to FM due to its schools. You should compare the Texas ratings, # of National Merit Semifinalists, SAT scores and all the different programs the school offers. I would also suggest to take an appointment with the councilor and visit the schools in Grapevine and FM during working day.

There might be other soccer clubs but here is my sons goes to in Lewisville. The practice and matches are spread out in FM and Lewisville. I am sure you'll find soccer clubs in and around Grapevine too.

Greater Lewisville Area Soccer Association [GLASA]

You did not specify your house budget and hence cannot recommend any specific neighborhoods. Currently, both the rental and houses are going fast in FM. Rental market is currently hot in all good areas in DFW. There are very few apartment complexes in FM and you might get a 2 B/R under $1500 but the availability might be thin. You might get a smaller house under $ 1500 in FM but you have to act fast. Property taxes in FM are lesser than Grapevine.

I think you have more chances of getting an apartment in Grapevine or Irving. We rented in Irving before buying our house in FM. Irving has lots of apartment complexes. Make sure you choose Coppell schools.I rate them better than Grapevine schools.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adixyz View Post
On google map, depending on where you live in Grapevine, you will have to take state highway 26 or internal roads to reach Interstate 114/ 635 from Grapevine JUST LIKE the state highway 2499 from FM.

The big difference is that 2499 has a bunch of traffic lights on it, while 114 is a true freeway with controlled access. It is undergoing major reconstruction right now, which is expected to end in 2013. It is a lot faster to get on 114 from most places in Grapevine than it is to get out of FM on 2499!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adixyz View Post
I think you have more chances of getting an apartment in Grapevine or Irving. We rented in Irving before buying our house in FM. Irving has lots of apartment complexes. Make sure you choose Coppell schools.I rate them better than Grapevine schools.
Yes, there are only a couple of apartment complexes in FM. The difference in Coppell ISD vs. Grapevine ISD is debated in numerous posts here...

Old 03-22-2012, 07:56 AM

473 posts, read 1,070,217 times
Quote:
The big difference is that 2499 has a bunch of traffic lights on it, while 114 is a true freeway with controlled access. It is undergoing major reconstruction right now, which is expected to end in 2013. It is a lot faster to get on 114 from most places in Grapevine than it is to get out of FM on 2499!!
I am not comparing the 6 lane divided State highway 2499 with 6 lane divided 114. I am comparing 2499 with similar roads in Grapevine like 26 and other internal streets worse than 26 to get out of Grapevine to reach 114 or 635. State Hwy 26 and other internal roads are not faster to get into 114 during peak time. They have a lot more lights than 2499 and lower speed limits.

Even if you want to compare 2499 with 114 it has to be during the 'peak traffic' time. In normal time, it will not not make much difference.

Quote:
Yes, there are only a couple of apartment complexes in FM. The difference in Coppell ISD vs. Grapevine ISD is debated in numerous posts here...
Academically FM and Coppell schools performance are significantly higher than Grapevine Schools.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:01 AM

664 posts, read 1,565,768 times
The important thing to take away from the above back and forth is that Grapevine and Flower Mound residents generally really like where they live.

Flower Mound is making serious headway in addressing their road situation. IMHO, it's still kind of a pain to get in and out of Flower Mound, but then again it's kind of a pain to get in and out of some parts of Grapevine. Like is mentioned above, Irving is a big place. Grapevine is closer and in most situations it will be a faster commute than Flower Mound. In some cases the difference would be negligible. In some cases the difference would be huge. It really depends on where you're talking about in Irving and where you're talking about in Grapevine and Flower Mound.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:31 AM

32,537 posts, read 51,063,879 times
your budget is going to be low for renting in many areas like Grapevine, Flower Mound, and definitely Coppell unless you are willing to go with smaller, older, less desireable area
even in Bedford--1500 would be difficult for "nice" house
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth