Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2012, 08:21 PM

4 posts, read 10,736 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

Just graduated from college and accepted a position in Westlake. The annual salary is $35000/yr. I attended college in Pittsburgh, PA, but grew up in New Hampshire. I say this because I will not know anyone in the area, and will be looking to make new friends. I was wondering if there are any areas/developments you guys may suggest I look to live within my price range? Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I know nothing of the area. I consider myself a fun and outgoing guy, and enjoy dating and the nightlife. Again, I would really appreciate any advice that you ladies and gentlemen would have to offer. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 09:05 PM

11,818 posts, read 26,662,098 times
We have seen this situation over and over... New grads moving to Westlake, low salary, and wanting to live somewhere fun, etc. Here's the issue: Westlake is on the edge of the DFW metro area, and there is nowhere in your price range nearby. Westlake has no apartments, and the homes in the area are all $1 million and up.

You have two choices:
1. Live in an inexpensive apartment fairly close to Westlake (Grapevine, Roanoke or possibly Euless or Keller) and drive to Dallas or Fort Worth on weekends for nightlife.
2. Get a roommate and get an apartment in uptown Dallas or So7 in Fort Worth, and have a hellishly lengthy commute to Westlake every day. You will put a ton of miles on your car, spend a fortune in gas, and potentially lose your job because you are frequently late due to being stuck in traffic.

Which option sounds better to you?

Last edited by ChristieP; 04-22-2012 at 09:35 PM..

Old 04-23-2012, 10:40 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,496,953 times
Congratulations on getting a job!
I bet that was a relief considering how competitive the market if for college grads--

but the salary is minimal for what you will have to spend to support yourself really--
Fidelity is the initial company I think of but there are several corps that are in Westlake including Travelocity...don't know that any of them pay their new hires any better

you would think that they would understand the limitations of their work place location--
which definitely plays into the "landed gentry" mode for some of the VPs but makes life difficult for the bottom tier work force

There are signs of nightlife in places like Roanoak, Grapevine, Southlake (restrained), downtown Keller, and certainly south along 377 toward 820 and over at Alliance
it is just not that walkable like areas of Dallas or Sundance Sq

Southlake which is next door has no apts
Trophy Club which is close might have some but likely older
Colleyville has no apts
Grapevine has plenty
North Euless as well
around 377 in north FTW there are plenty
plenty around Fossil Ridge area
some in Flower Mound which is EAST on 114

but you will be driving to work, driving to get groceries and do anything else you need to do

35K is going to be difficult to live on after taxes IMO especially if you have to dress upscale and are expected to participate in activities that might cost you money--
TX has no income tax but utilities, car insurance are high here compared to other states
my daughter says that compared to FL dry cleaning is cheap here

Watermark Apts in Roanoak gets some decent reviews when you Google map Westlake and search for apartments
know nothing about them but they are in decent proximity to Westlake
rent seems expensive for 1 bedroom though--over $700 plus you pay utilities like electric

one thing you might need to know is that the schools in that area are considered "desireable"
many people moving to DFW area for job transfers are renting apts vs buyng a home since they don't know the area well--
there are likely to be high numbers of kids/families in many apt complexes
your best chance to get more singles is to look for complexes that have more studio/1 bedroom units vs 2 and certainly 3 bedroom units
at least in my opinion---

Hwy 114 that you will likely use for commuting is under construction and will be for next 18 mo or so
traffic along it going WEST is usually more busy all the time from what I see and rush hour can be stop and go--there are not many exits either to get off if there is accident

Southlake Town Center area has lots of shops but the closest Target is probably in Grapevine

Look at a map--
because Westlake sits north of the part of Keller that is still fairly undeveloped with just older, two-lane roads, open bar ditches, stop signs vs light--there is not really an easy surface road commute to get there coming from the south but 377 to 114--
older road in spots but also 6 lanes south of Keller Old Town-- going through developed area--lots of stop lights and and heavy traffic...but it seems to move fairly readily

121 to 114 is under construction in Bedford area and again around the 114 interchange in Grapevine
heavy traffic on Colleyville Blvd/Hwy 26 in that area as well

it is difficult to made decisions based on the reviews of apts posted online

do you get any time to relocate on the company's dime--
so you can stay in motel and investigate the area?
I am sure there are many other people working there in your situation--from out of town and either single or young couple/no kids--
you might get some info just by asking the company
maybe their HR dept has apts to recommend
maybe your immediate supervisor or people on your team as well--
just don't know how much you can do from a distance

Denton which is about 25 min north is college town w/2 universities--has active live music scene and my son says cheap rent--but lot of older apts I think and you might not want to be around so many college students
IF you lived in Denton and commuted south on 377 (not I-35, avoid at all costs for commuting) you would be going against lot of traffic I think...

Old 04-23-2012, 10:46 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,602,257 times
you might look in Las Colinas/Valley Ranch. Grapevine is much closer, tho. Grapevone is very mich a family community, while LC/VR has aa greater youth draw. At least the drive would be against traffic. Kind of limited night life but it is an area with many young professionals. Look on Craigslist or use an apartment locator sevice.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:55 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,496,953 times
just lot of construction on 114
but Las Colinas is upscale and urban
some apts are probably walkable to some restaurants and stuff

the downtown apts at south end of Grapevine's town square would be good but think they are tad expensive and probably leased

OP--and while this is meant to be a friendly heads-up
check a map--
Westlake is a town
It is not very close to Dallas at all
There are many towns between Westlake and Dallas
people around here don't really appreciate all towns being lumped into the all-inclusive description DALLAS
You don't know the area--you are excused--but if you took this job thinking you were going to be near Dallas--that was failure on both sides of the negotiations....
you for not doing due dillagence and the other side for maybe misrepresenting where this job (and living location) is actually at

as far as meeting new people--depending on what your hobbies/interests are outside of going to clubs/bars/restaurants check out this site
http://www.meetup.com/cities/us/tx/grapevine/
just set to Grapevine because that was close
you can target specific hobbies/activities or towns

Old 04-23-2012, 11:08 AM

11,818 posts, read 26,662,098 times
The apartments at 925 Main in Grapevine are very expensive and totally out of the OP's budget. (1 br over $1000 monthly!)

Old 04-23-2012, 12:40 PM

295 posts, read 945,513 times
I have a friend that works at Fidelity and he lives at the apartments off North Beach, just south of golden triangle. Fairly cheap and nice. Albertsons is right across the street so you could literally walk to get your food, haircut and donuts for breakfast . The drive to westlake is not bad if you get out to 377 at around 7:30am and drive north. Definitely better than the traffic I hit going south on 35w.

He also mentioned the other day that the complex has a ton of young people working in Westfield, Southlake and some in Keller. Maybe that's a start?

You'll have to make up your mind too that in order to meet other people you'll have to travel. Then again, all of us living in DFW have to travel for just about everything unless you happen to be lucky to live nearby a place you frequent.

Good luck!

Old 04-23-2012, 02:03 PM

4 posts, read 10,736 times
Thanks for your help everyone. Did not mean to offend anyone by grouping Westlake and other towns with Dallas. Just a bit of ignorance on my part. Yes, the company I will be working for is Fidelity. jcamber, just out of curiousity, do you know how long of a commute your friend has to Westlake? I will certainly consider the North Beach area. Denton also sounds intriguing, due to what sounds like a short commute. I would not mind being around college kids at all, and might enjoy continuing a similar lifestyle for a few more years. What do you guys know about the Fossil Ridge apartments in Fort Worth? I have done some research, but am wondering about what kind of a commute it might be. Again, thanks to everyone for all of your help, I really do appreciate it.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:24 PM

295 posts, read 945,513 times
20-25 minutes. The apartments are called city park I believe...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth