Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 06:03 AM

97 posts, read 277,220 times

Advertisements

We're relocating from NC and looking for houses w/in 30(ish) min commute to Grapevine, spec. Westport Drive. 225K budget. Want all the stuff everyone wants - excellent schools, safe area, close to amenities like parks, shopping, restaurants... Aloe prefer a house built 1990 on. Finally, don't want to live in an area that's on the decline.

Judging from the MLS it appears that the most housing inventory that's appealing in our price range is in HEB... Anyone have feedback? Schools look solid, commute would be ok?

We are meeting with a Realtor in June, and I'd like to have some research done before then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 06:57 AM

This thread as helpful but a year old: //www.city-data.com/forum/fort-...-good-bad.html

Old 05-12-2012, 08:51 AM

690 posts, read 1,729,004 times
Heavy road construction, but same still applies.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:27 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,975,697 times
North Euless would be a great choice as it's in the Grapevine-Colleyville school district which is preferable.

Also what's wrong with Grapevine? That's a better place to live, closer, and plenty of houses in that price range?

Old 05-12-2012, 11:41 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
North Euless would be a great choice as it's in the Grapevine-Colleyville school district which is preferable.

Also what's wrong with Grapevine? That's a better place to live, closer, and plenty of houses in that price range?
Ditto here. Grapevine has everything you're looking for. Today was our municipal elections, and after voting, I spoke with Mayor Tate for a while. We both agree that we love our town, and I thanked him for keeping our property taxes low. He says he is really excited about how wonderful Grapevine is going to be once all of the road construction is finished.

If you do insist on living in a different city, stay on the north side of 183. The southern part has older homes and is a little higher crime.

The north part Euless has quite a few new/newer homes in the part that is GCISD. That's north of MidCities Blvd. Euless has some good city services and a nice community center.

Bedford has one of the highest property tax rates in Tarrant county. Home values there are not as high as the surrounding cities, so you will pay less for a house than in Grapevine, but you will pay the same amount in property taxes. Oddly, Bedford also lost population on the last census count, too. Bedford did just build a nice library and has the Boys Ranch community center and water park. Regular poster Loves2Read will be able to give you more info about Bedford.

I don't think Hurst has any new homes, except maybe way on its north end off Precinct Line, which will not be a good commute for your husband. It is a nice town, but it is primarily old homes.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:03 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
HEB has +/---to find home built after 1990 might be problem since most of Bedford was built out by the middle 80s--
there is neighborhood across from Meadow Creek Elem that is newer but price for size might be over your budget
think north Euless is also going to be top of your price range
finding an area that is "not in decline" is asking us to imagine the future--
if you go by past stats then Bedford--at least north Bedford--is not really in decline because value is stable and homes usually sell well

you might consider some areas of north Hurst or NRHills that are in Birdville ISD--but again the newer homes might be problem

area around Parr Park in Grapevine/Colleyville area would be great for schools and work location--don't know about the age/price though
225 is very low for Colleyville and won't find newer home in Grapevine for that IMO

Old 05-12-2012, 12:44 PM

Thanks everyone! grapevine itself is our first choice, but there's not a lot in our price range.

It's so good to know about the taxes... Is there a good single source for that info, by the way?

I've found great houses in NRHills at the top of our price range- need to do some research on the schools.

Going back to look harder at the areas you suggested. Thanks again!

Old 05-12-2012, 12:51 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post

area around Parr Park in Grapevine/Colleyville area would be great for schools and work location--don't know about the age/price though
225 is very low for Colleyville and won't find newer home in Grapevine for that IMO
This is the best part of Grapevine. Homes here sell really quickly, so you will need a good Realtor and you must be able to go look as soon as new houses a listed.

Look to the north of Parr Park and you will find some homes in your price range that were built 1988-1991, and you can be my neighbor.

Also, look to the east of 121. That neighborhood is also really nice. We liked a lot of those homes, too. They are all electric, though.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:01 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
don't you think that lot of this will take care of itself when you actually get here and see different areas
you may decide that you don't need a newer (90+) home or that a certain area appeals to you--
you haven't thought about Coppell--there are homes in your price range in Coppell--
some areas of it are not that far from where your husband works--and schools are excellent
but it is in Dallas county--
so that is usually how people divide their looking--Tarrant vs Dallas...
and of course it is always better to live as close as you can to where the job is...

Old 05-13-2012, 06:38 AM

Of course my views will change some once I'm there (June 11th!) but I handle big changes best when I have a wealth of information. Anxiety is not so fun at times like this. I appreciate all your advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth