U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2012, 09:06 PM

26 posts, read 46,284 times

Advertisements

Anyone actually do this?

I've been looking into the TRE as an alternative to driving to Dallas for work, but see all sorts of problems on my end.

1. Have to get to the station earlier than if I was driving, or later and risk being late.

2. I like NY cabs because they're everywhere and know their tip is dependent on how fast you get there. This is non-existant in Dallas, which means lots of walking after reaching station.

3. Using the TRE would actually be longer commute wise, especially if I have to switch to DART to get further into Dallas.

So I'm curious as to those who do use it, is actually worth it for you?
What routes are you taking?
Any issues with leaving your car at the station?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 09:13 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,266,832 times
There are tons of people who do this.

The things that make it worthwhile are:
-Your work is very close to either the downtown TRE station or one of the Dart stations.
-Your schedule is a regular one M-F.
-You don't need to travel from your work place during the day.
-You normally travel in rush hour.

Gas prices, maintaining your car, parking costs and the stress of driving in the traffic are things you get to bypass if you travel the TRE.

Sometimes though, the timing is off and you might still be gone as long as if you drove yourself.
Sometimes the TRE has it's own problems and it costs you time. For instance - computer malfunctions, weather delays or accidents have all caused problems in the last year. However, they are good about getting buses there to transport people to their next station.

If you don't work a regular schedule or have to leave during the day then you may not have a train schedule that will work for you.

If your work is not within a short walking distance of the station then that might not work for you either.

My husband commuted via the train/dart/bus for a year a few years ago when we only had one vehicle. We were very grateful it was a choice, but it was not a great one for us. Due to the location of his work he had to take the TRE into downtown, then catch the Dart almost immediately (so if the TRE was just a few minutes behind he missed his Dart). Then he had to take a bus from the Dart station and then still had to walk a few blocks. Oh, he was traveling close to 75 and 635 north. He was gone from before 6 AM until 5:30 PM.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:58 AM

35,465 posts, read 55,051,219 times
your problems obviously aren't everyones--

if it doesn't work for you, don't do it

regarding issues like safety--there have been reported instances of breakins in cars left in lot on Handley-Eiderville lot--don't know about the one at DFW centerport one
they are adding more features to the NRHills lot--going to have some food stands and shops in area but some people have reported that it is difficult to find a parking spot if you come later in day after the early morning commuters have parked and ridden into town...

Last edited by loves2read; 05-14-2012 at 07:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth