U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2012, 02:51 PM

4 posts, read 4,999 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My family and I are moving to Keller, TX in July and I am trying to gather some information regarding utility companies. We are currently living in Missouri, and we only have one electricity company... However, when I searched for the DFW area, a gazillion comes back. Who do you use for your utilities and how do you know who is best? I really need some help with this as I never had to do any type of research on utility companies....

Thanks a bunch

Oh, obviously I am looking for electric, gas, water, sewer, etc... I hope that not all companies are as tricky as the electric companies :-s
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 12:00 AM

540 posts, read 1,020,521 times
Here is a link to the Power Choice website from the Public Utilities Commission of Texas:

Power to Choose

Where we are at, you don't really have any choice on water/sewer, trash, etc. Not sure about gas because we don't have it. Electricity is the one where you can get easily confused though. Example, our service is actually provided by Oncor. But, we have a ton of different options as far as plans/who bills us.

I won't name names for Keller, since I'm outside the Metroplex, but no, it's only electricity that is really tricky.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:48 AM

33,605 posts, read 53,495,413 times
In Keller there are two options--
TXU provider with multiple companies that will offer you electric rates/service
OR you might be in part of Keller that has only 1 electric provider--it is Tri-County Electric Coop--
municipal electric cooperative--
operates under different legislative rules--
the people who use the electricity--homeowners and businesses -- are techically the owners of the electrical company--
vs TXU and other electric providers where shareholders own the company and could live anywhere in world...
no real difference in the electricity itself--only how it is created/operated
rates usually were lower with Tri County in past--don't know about now--and don't think there are as many options like green energy one as with other providers

realtors can usually tell you if it is Tri-County area--but won't usually say on MLS
Google Tri County electric and I think you can check an address on website to see if it is within that oversight

some developments were not piped for natural gas--too far from pipeline to make it economical for developer to pipe to homes
and if you are in Keller city limits you will have water/trash through the city
if you are in FTW city limits with Keller schools then FTW will be water utility
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth