Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 08:50 PM

8 posts, read 17,717 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband just accepted a job in Fort Worth and we will be relocating there sometime next month. We are very excited! He will be working near the junction of I20 and 35W and we are hoping for a commute that would be no more than 20 - 30 minutes. We are looking for a great area to raise our family (we have 3 kids ages 11,7 & 5), including good schools. We have a house budget of between 200,000 and 250,000.

Some areas we are curious about are Mansfield, Burleson, Grand Prairie and Arlington. Any information on these areas, and any other areas you might suggest, would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!
Susan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 09:19 AM

690 posts, read 1,723,171 times
Southwest Fort worth Bryant Irving area is a favorable and descent location. There are some neighborhoods in the area that may be more costly than others. But just the same you may want to add it to your list.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:21 PM

234 posts, read 285,148 times
I agree with RockyJoe817 about the Bryant Irvin area. Arlington is nice, but I think it is more expensive than Fort Worth, and the traffic in Arlington is just plain HORRIBLE.

I20 and 35 are not far away from Hulen Mall, and if you drive south on Hulen from Hulen Mall, which is just off of I20 and Hulen, you will go through a nice old neighbourhood once you cross over Granbury Road. The homes are pretty decent, and the trees and shrubbery are mature and lush. Prices are not outrageous, and you may even find a bargain there. It is pretty quiet over there, too. If you keep heading south on Hulen you will find yourself in a more recently built up area with new homes. I understand the houses there are fairly affordable. Go a little ways west of there, and you will find more newer homes.

One area I like just off of I20 is the Trail Lake area. Many nice homes there, but I think they tend to be a bit more expensive. The decision is yours of course, but if you really care a lot about your children's education, I would recommend you put most of your financial resources in to keeping them in private schools. Public schools are generally awful, and they will be far behind their peers who are in private schools.

If you would be willing to move north, however, you could live in north Euless which is very close to Arlington and Six Flags, etc. The public elementary school in Bear Creek is rated quite good, and I have known a lot of parents who leased apartments there just so their kids could go to that elementary school. There are a lot of nice apartment complexes in north Euless, too. The closest one to the school is Wildwood (as I recall). They used to be quite decent, and I expect they still might be. It is literally just a two-three block walk to the elementary school from Wildwood, and one thing I particularly liked about the complex is that is nestled into a nice residential neighbourhood. I think nothing is so soul killing than to live in an area where block after block is nothing but big apartment complexes. There are a lot of nice duplexes just off of Glade Road, too. The nice thing about choosing a spot like Wildwood in north Euless, at least to start out, is that it is a quiet, safe, good neighbourhood with a very good public school just a few blocks away (insofar as public schools are "good" compared to private schools). Your kids would be safe and secure there until you could find an area that you liked even better. You may like that area so much that you decide to stay, though.

Good luck.

Old 06-30-2012, 05:30 AM

11,819 posts, read 26,695,550 times
North Euless to 20/35W will be a hellacious commute. I would look at Mansfield and Burleson instead.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:07 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,615,829 times
Grand Prairie is too far. Mansfield has high property taxes so be aware to your total house payment when comparing. Look in Kennedale or Southwest Arlington. In Arlington to ensure good schools the neighborhoods served by Martin High (the only good high school in Arlington) all have decent elementary and middle schools.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:15 AM

Thanks for the ideas. That will give us a place to start looking. It is all very overwhelming, but exciting!

Old 06-30-2012, 03:46 PM

234 posts, read 285,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
North Euless to 20/35W will be a hellacious commute. I would look at Mansfield and Burleson instead.
I do not think the drive would be that bad...it is all freeway with a number of freeways to choose from. From the Bear Creek area in north Euless, they could hop on 360 straight to I20. It is not very far. I think it is a much nicer area than either Mansfield or Burleson. I lived there myself some years back, and I will tell you that the neighbourhood was so nice that in the hot weather months I used to take my exercise around the neighbourhood after midnight, and I never felt the least bit worried for my safety. The neighbourhood is safe and quiet 24/7, and the homes/lawns are beautifully maintained. I am just saying it is a solid place from which to start out until/unless they find something they want to buy somewhere else. No worries about their kids walking the two blocks or so to the school---very safe.

Old 06-30-2012, 05:09 PM

11,819 posts, read 26,695,550 times
I drive from Grapevine to downtown Fort Worth for work. I use 121/183 as my route which is 23 miles each way. On a good day, it takes me 20 minutes, and on a bad day (wreck/rain), it has taken me an hour.

We are talking about the OP driving an additional 4 miles if they take my route, which will add 10 minutes if they use my route. If they use your suggested route, that adds an additional 10 miles each way (33 miles total) and 20 more minutes (40 total) according to google maps. I would not recommend that someone set themselves up for such a lengthy commute when there are better aces to live closer.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:48 PM

I was thinking the same thing, Christie. It seems that there are enough options south of Fort Worth to choose from rather than adding on a lengthy commute. My husband currently has a 5 minute commute back and forth so we are spoiled. I am also trying to avoid moving again if at all possible, so we want to find the right area right at the beginning if possible. Too hard on the kids to change schools ecery few years. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth