Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 01:06 PM

9 posts, read 16,847 times

Advertisements

Hello! We are considering a relocation to the Arlington, TX area. My husband and I are pushing 40. We have 3 children (5,6, 11). Looking for a newer home (0-15 yrs old) that is move-in ready. Want a safe neighborhood with some land (anything .25 acres or more a plus!) Within 10 to 20 miles of Arlington with good schools. The maximum we can spend on a house is $150 k.
Any recommendations on what areas would fit our description would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 02:28 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,683,373 times
is the job in Arlington? What part of Arlington? Kennedale or Mansfield are myrecommendations on the south side. Hurst,Bedford or Euless would work for the North side. Southwest Arlington has good schools, too. For your price point you will maybe find something newish in Mansfield

Last edited by Squirl; 07-14-2012 at 02:52 PM..

Old 07-14-2012, 04:55 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
You won't find newish homes in that price range to the north of Arlington. Definitely look in Mansfield and southern part of Arlington. Even then, the house will be on a normal sized lot. If you want something with acreage in that price range, you are going to have to go a lot further away...

Old 07-14-2012, 06:31 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
you won't find anything newer really in any area for that price except maybe FTW side of Keller
long way from Arlington

get realtor.com and do an MLS search for Tarrant county or Burleson county
and see what comes up

Old 07-14-2012, 07:06 PM

There's no job yet. Hubby is looking into possibly going there with his company. All he told me is that it's Arlington, so I am researching the area to see if we should do this. He'd like to be within 10 miles but I don't think we'll get much land being so close to the city.
We lived in the Northeast most of our lives until we came to Florida. I've only been to Texas once in my life and that was Houston for a visit with his family.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:03 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,319,963 times
I live in Southwest Arlington. The schools are good in this part of town. Plus, it's fairly easy to get around using I-20. This area abuts Mansfield and Kennedale. They are nice places, too.

I can pretty much assure you that you won't find a house with land at your price point but you can certainly find a house with a decent lot.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:24 AM

Thanks for the feedback so far. I guess based on your responses, I would be satisfied with land more than .15 acres. I just want a decent backyard where the kids can run around and we can have a swing set. When I do a search on realtor.com, Ft Worth comes up quite a bit. Is this a good area too?

Old 07-15-2012, 09:09 AM

Fort Worth depends. There are good and bad areas, just like most of the bigger cities in DFW. The Eastern part of Fort Worth, called Meadowbrook, can be very mixed. You need to really look at FWISD schools and determine your comfort level with performance and diversity level before deciding on an area to buy.

We usually recommend that people rent for a year before buying. This allows you time to investigate the areas better, and see what parts you really like and find yourself gravitating towards. Admittedly, your price range is also on the low end, so you need to really be careful when buying to avoid getting stuck in a high-crime, deteriorating, area with bad schools.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:32 AM

Thanks, Christie P. Renting would definitely be the smart option to learn the area. I learned that the hard way when we moved to Maine and Florida without investigating the area first.

Yes, I realize our budget is low. We bought our 3 bedroom, 1800 square ft house in the Clearwater, Fl region 8 years ago for $167,000. I doubt we could get that price now if we sold with the way the housing market is here. That's why I thought about 150 k as the max for our budget. Our home is rather old too- late 70s. Houses are not selling here, many foreclosures.

I've been doing heavy searches on realtor.com in the past few days and I was surprised at how nice the homes are out there. $150,000 or less can get you A LOT compared to here. But maybe the areas coming up are not so great in terms of crime and schools.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:16 PM

The areas where new homes are being built are on the fringes of the metroplex. Yes, you can get a nice house, but the feeder roads leading into town may be 2-lane blacktop, and the the nearest town may be 15 minutes away. Even worse, all of your neighbors are making the same morning commute, and the roads are clogged with traffic...

I hear you on the FL real estate market. Thank goodness Texas fared better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth