U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2012, 01:10 PM

234 posts, read 210,755 times

Advertisements

I need your input about this, especially if you are an expert in air conditioning. Two or three weeks ago, it seemed to me that my air conditioner was not blowing as strongly as usual. By this last week, it also did not seem to be blowing as cold as it used to do. My landlord's contractor came out two or three weeks ago, checked my filter, which was absolutely clean, and hosed down the outside unit, which did not look especially dirty to me at all. They proclaimed that the "split" was about as good as anyone could expect, and the air conditioner was working properly. Fast forward to the last couple of days or so.

If I allowed my air conditioner to cycle on and off in the mornings, as I normally would do, I found that it could not keep up with the heat in the afternoons, and the indoor temp would rise above 80, so I kept the unit running all day. Yesterday morning, and this morning as well, it was quite cool in here at 7 a.m., but I did not allow the unit to cycle off, and by 1:20 in the afternoon it was 80 in here. The sun was down by 8:15-8:30 last night, and WFAA's website reported that the outside temp at 6:39 was down to 85, yet my indoor temp did not drop after by 8 p.m. despite the air conditioner running non-stop all afternoon. By 10:20 last night, the indoor temp finally dropped to 78-79. By midnight, having not cycled off all day, the air conditioner brought the temp down to 74-75. Even if the outside temp never dropped below 85 after dark, it seemed to me that my air conditioner should have been able to get the indoor temp down to 74-75 hours earlier than midnight.

The thing is that I just do not recall it being this warm in here in the afternoons any other year even though I allowed the air to cycle on and off all morning. In previous summers, it is true that the air always ran all afternoon non-stop, but I recall it began to cool off by 7:30 p.m. and the air could start to cycle on and off again by then. Would you not think that with the air running totally non-stop all day that it would be cooler than 78-79 by 10:20 p.m. if the outside temp had dropped to 85 by 6:39 p.m.? I contacted the landlord, and he claims there is nothing wrong with the A/C. The landlord refuses to send anyone out, even though I never asked him to do so so far, and he said if I call out a contractor, I had to pay for it myself. Does it sound to you like the air conditioner is working properly? I keep the blinds drawn and the curtains drawn over them all day, so I am not counteracting the work my A/C is doing.

Last edited by the_little_truth_writer; 07-21-2012 at 01:20 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 12:11 PM

269 posts, read 490,602 times
do you have high ceilings?

Old 07-25-2012, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babs7907 View Post
do you have high ceilings?
I have a higher ceiling in my living room only. Every other room has low ceilings.

Right now, it 1:09 a.m. on Wednesday morning. My air had been running non-stop since mid-morning Tuesday morning. I turned it up to 77 around 11:30 Tuesday night. The temp in here now is 77-78, and it is cycling on and off to keep that temp. It does not stay off for very long at all once it cycles off, maybe 5 minutes at most. It is supposed to be 88 degrees outside right now according to WFAA's website.

I do not think the air is blowing as hard as it used to do. It used to cause the string from the ceiling fan in the living room to keep moving whilst the air was on. The string no longer moves. The last three summers, I recall the air conditioner being able to keep the indoor temp around 74-75 in the afternoons even though it was very hot outside. Right now, the air runs non-stop from mid-morning until I turn it up again around midnight, but the temp never falls below 78-79 until after midnight.

I think there is something wrong, but my landlord insists the unit is performing as it should do. I just spent $168 about 2-3 weeks ago to have the fan relay switch replaced because the landlord's contractor failed to diagnose that problem; they repaired something that was not broken; and, then whence the unit quit working altogether shortly after they left, the contractor refused to send the techs back out because he did not want to pay them overtime. Can you believe it? I had to call another contractor out. The contractor I called found the problem with the fan relay switch and repaired it. I have had no problems with that since then, but I think whatever the landlord's contractor "repaired" that day is what caused the other problem with the air conditioner no longer blowing as hard or cooling as well as it used to do. Landlord denies there is anything wrong, and refuses to reimburse me the $168 it cost to replace the fan relay switch. He said if I deduct it from my rent, he would file an eviction against me, and I am sure he means it. He refuses to send anyone back out. He said if I want a contractor to work on it, I will have to pay for the repairs myself. Can you believe it?

Old 07-25-2012, 04:43 AM

411 posts, read 292,003 times
Evict the landlord and get a new place. Our AC unit is 22 years old and keeps the house at 78 degrees and only runs about half the time. If we desired we could cool the house to 70 easily. He/she Sounds like a cheap b*stard.

BTW, it sounds like your problem is simply the fan or fan motor inside the house. I can't believe the AC tech didn't check that.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:48 AM

10,536 posts, read 22,419,543 times
Texas Tenants Union

Call these guys. What your landlord is doing is illegal. They will get him to fix the a/c and reimburse you for the repair.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libsk View Post
Evict the landlord and get a new place. Our AC unit is 22 years old and keeps the house at 78 degrees and only runs about half the time. If we desired we could cool the house to 70 easily. He/she Sounds like a cheap b*stard.

BTW, it sounds like your problem is simply the fan or fan motor inside the house. I can't believe the AC tech didn't check that.
Thanks, Libsk. I feel so certain that something is wrong, but whence someone is threatening you and their contractor swears all is fine, you are hesitant for fear that maybe you are imagining things.

I turned it down to 73 in the wee hours this morning just before going to bed. Later, at 8:35, I checked it. It was 73-74 and cycling on an off. Outside temp was supposed to be about 81 at the same time. However, soon it is going to stop cycling on and off because the temp is going to rise. It will end up staying on the rest of the day until late tonight again. Landlord insists that I *cannot* expect the indoor temp to less than 20 degrees below the outdoor temp on hot days. I insist it did better than that the last three years. He "offers" to accept a 30 day notice from me to find another place and move in this heat. Unbelievable.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Texas Tenants Union

Call these guys. What your landlord is doing is illegal. They will get him to fix the a/c and reimburse you for the repair.
Thanks, ChristieP. I will look into it. : )

Old 07-25-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_little_truth_writer View Post
Thanks, Libsk. I feel so certain that something is wrong, but whence someone is threatening you and their contractor swears all is fine, you are hesitant for fear that maybe you are imagining things.

I turned it down to 73 in the wee hours this morning just before going to bed. Later, at 8:35, I checked it. It was 73-74 and cycling on an off. Outside temp was supposed to be about 81 at the same time. However, soon it is going to stop cycling on and off because the temp is going to rise. It will end up staying on the rest of the day until late tonight again. Landlord insists that I *cannot* expect the indoor temp to less than 20 degrees below the outdoor temp on hot days. I insist it did better than that the last three years. He "offers" to accept a 30 day notice from me to find another place and move in this heat. Unbelievable.
I'm sorry you have to put up with that. If You sound like a decent tenant. Best of luck to you!

Old 07-25-2012, 08:20 PM

If i weren't using tapatalk i could turn you on to the best, most ethical AC guy in the area. Unfortunately it doesn't allow me to message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth