Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 11:48 PM

51 posts, read 308,679 times

Advertisements

I'm Russian and was taught to drive a stick. Is it possible to rent a car with a manual transmission in the area of the Fort Worth airport in a month? Would it be cheaper than an automatic one?

I've checked out lots of different rental websites and can't find anything about sticks. Automatics would be ok, but I though maybe I can find a stick somehow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 12:15 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,283,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doysl View Post
I'm Russian and was taught to drive a stick. Is it possible to rent a car with a manual transmission in the area of the Fort Worth airport in a month? Would it be cheaper than an automatic one?
No, if anything I think it would probably be more expensive because it would be a low-demand, special interest car, like a sports car. Or you could rent a manual transmission pickup truck.

Fewer and fewer cars are even manufactured with stick shifts. I mean really, even race cars have gone to automatic transmissions.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:33 AM

Yeah, the same answer I got on the another Internet forum. What can I say? That's sad. I hope driving an automatics is easy, but I have no opportunity to practice it in my city.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Yeah, the same answer I got on the another Internet forum. What can I say? That's sad. I hope driving an automatics is easy, but I have no opportunity to practice it in my city.
Of course it is easy. That's why it is so popular, and manual shift is so hard to find.

Seriously, you just press your right foot on the accelerator pedal to go, and press it on the brake pedal to stop. A lap or two around the parking lot and you'll be good.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:44 AM

I suppose I'd better not telling the personnel at the rent-car-office that I've never driven an automatics, otherwise they might wanna increase the insurance cost, right?

Old 06-11-2012, 03:50 AM

540 posts, read 1,100,347 times
Quote:
I sympathize. I'm born and raised in the US, but was taught to drive a stick shift and that is all I've ever owned (+20yrs). However, if you have to rent a car some place in the US, you have to resign yourself to an automatic. It is easy...have you ever been in an automatic at all? There will be a gear selector. Just remember "P" = Park, "D" = Drive, and "R" = Reverse.

I plan to continue purchasing manual transmission cars until age or knee/ankle problems make in impractical. And, on the plus side, if I ever have to rent a car in another country...I'll be just fine unlike some friends of mine.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:10 AM

Thank you, gentlemen
Sounds like I can manage driving an automatic, though I've never tried to. I'll read more about it, of course, but one question I have is: if I stop in front of a red traffic light, will I need to switch to "Park" or I can leave it as "Drive"?

Old 06-11-2012, 09:43 AM

No, you just leave the car in Drive. When you take your foot off the accelerator, and step on the brake, as you come to a stop the transmission will automatically shift down. Then when you take your foot off the brake and press on the accelerator the transmission will step up, automatically. Now do you understand why people like automatic transmission? It is so simple.

When you come to a complete stop in a parking place, then you put the selector in Park, which locks the transmission so the car won't roll.

One thing about starting the car... the way many cars with automatic transmission work, your foot must be on the brake in order to move the selector from Park to Drive.

Ask the attendant at the car rental place to show you the controls... just tell them you've never driven that model before. They're used to the question.

Good luck!

Old 06-12-2012, 04:42 PM

308 posts, read 634,463 times
I have to admit I've never thought about this problem before. Usually it's the other way around.

You'll figure it out in about 30 seconds.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:41 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,533,131 times
check out You Tube
I am sure someone posted video of someone learning to drive an automatic

As someone who drove a stick for several years then bought an automatic
my problem was not with the gear shift so much but feeling for the clutch pedal on the floor
Anyone who drives a standard shift is a two-footed driver--because you need to use 3 pedals
but automatics require really only 1 foot--because you rarely try to use the brake and accelarator at same time
Just remember to keep your left foot well away from the pedals--keep it close to the driver's door--so you don't step on brake when you think you are shifting....

MOST automatics will show 2 drive gears for forward--only use the main D--the second gear is for situations where you have to do very steep inclines or downgrades--not something to worry about in this location...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
View detailed profiles of: