Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2012, 03:20 PM

59 posts, read 81,465 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Keller very soon from Tennessee and I need to get our electric service set up and I am clueless. I looked at the Power to Choose and was still confused at what I was looking at.

Does Power to Choose show what the actual rate is or are there additional fees on top of that? I just don't want to make a terrible decision right from the start.

Thanks.

Last edited by PTN96; 08-09-2012 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: needed to add more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 03:54 PM

690 posts, read 1,729,147 times
What part of Keller will you be living in.

Some neighborhoods have HOA's which participate with One source and is a package deal.
Another portion of Keller is serviced via TRI-County Electric.
TXU Energy has been a main provider of Electric throughout this area.

TXU Energy, you call to sign up for your service, pay the deposit and make the monthly payment for the amount of electricity used.

This is a common question that was answered in depth by a forum poster.
In addition, you may want to look at previous entries concerning your question.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:56 PM

Thanks, I have searched and read several of the other posts and am still as confused as ever.

We will be in Hidden Lakes?

Old 08-09-2012, 04:27 PM

269 posts, read 575,019 times
Hidden Lakes near Sky Creek Ranch does have a HOA, it's called HLHOA, though you'd have to ask them whether they source their electricity for all their home owners or whether each can choose their own.

Power To Choose is just an aggregator, it brings in different companies with their different rates and policies. You still have to choose which option works best for you, based on your cash flow and budget.

The rate you are quoted is dependent on the length of your contract, the type of service you request and several other factors. Yes, the rate you see is what you'll get charged, but they'll add on state taxes as well as several other misc charges, you can only find out what those are when you have chosen a provider and looked at their fine print.

It's also cheaper to purchase a long term contract in the winter when electric demand is low, fyi

If it helps, I live in Keller, I use Startex Power, my rate is 8.2c/kwh.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:29 PM

Thanks again. So I could take a short term one now and then see if it's better in the winter/spring?

I will email the HOA.

Mindi

Old 08-11-2012, 07:05 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
The HOA does not determine your provider
You choose and don't think that area is TriCounty

Old 08-17-2012, 06:55 PM

112 posts, read 290,369 times
hey, we just moved to Hidden Lakes from TN, too! From the Memphis area.

On the electricity question, it is indeed confusing and can feel overwhelming to have so much choice. I asked friends, and got as many different companies named as i received suggestions. I even downloaded all the info from that PowerToChoose website into a spreadsheet.

In the end, i picked Champion. It's not the cheapest, but they have strong customer service marks. Haven't been moved in long enough to really evaluate them, though. Satisfied so far. Went ahead and locked in for a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth