Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2012, 07:04 PM

87 posts, read 153,768 times

Advertisements

Hello! I grew up in Austin, and all my fam still lives there. My husband and kids and I have moved all around and currently live on the East Coast. I am desperate to get back to Texas. My husband's job could work in either Dallas or Houston (he would work at Dallas Love Field or Houston Hobby). He would only commute in about once a week and not always a rush hour (just for commute info.)

Anyway, I am trying to pin down what area of the metroplex would be the best for us for living. I drove all around for a few days this summer and felt very at home in Ft. Worth (more Austin-y feeling for me).

I am drawn to Eagle Mt. Lake. Was down there driving around and it just seemed peaceful....a little hilly. However, one friend has been steering me towards Ridglea (Although she said she moved away from there to avoid the high school) and another friend said to stay away from Saginaw area schools.

I have a ton of questions. But I guess this thread is about the high schools of the Ridglea area (Arlington Heights and Paschal) as compared to the Eagle Mt. Lake high school (which I believe is Saginaw? But maybe Boswell?) Any thoughts from insiders? Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 07:37 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Ridglea has better schools. Do a search here, but Paschal HS is very well-regarded.

You realize your husband will be driving about 2 hours EACH WAY from Ridglea to Love Field in traffic? No way I would sign up for this commute, even if it was only once a week!

Old 08-09-2012, 07:46 PM

Yea...that does sound pretty terrible of a commute. Will have to take that into account. Google maps of course says it is a lot shorter than that! Thank you for your answer!

Old 08-09-2012, 08:31 PM

Remember: Google may not be accounting for traffic. There is also major reconstruction on 183 right now. Eastbound is very heavy traffic in the mornings.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:50 PM

Ok. Thank you for your insight! I wonder how the traffic there compares with the east coast...I need to get down there and drive around some more I think!

Old 08-10-2012, 06:02 PM

211 posts, read 494,834 times
The Ridglea neighborhood feeds into Arlington Heights H.S., not Paschal. However, Heights has a huge following and lots of neighborhood support and athletic boosterism. And Ridglea is a great neighborhood.

If you want your kids to go to Paschal, you would need to look in the Tanglewood, Overton Park, Colonial, Berkeley or Mistletoe Heights neighborhoods.

I am a huge fan of both. Just FYI.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:13 AM

8 posts, read 41,603 times
Neither of those options seem like a good "Austin-y" fit. I would suggest checking out Grapevine. The Grapevine area is pretty gorgeous. Certain areas have a rolling hills feel with heavy/old tree growth... The schools are amazing and the commute from Grapevine to Love field is about 20 mins w/no traffic.

I was raised in Saginaw... Went to the terrible Eagle Mountain ISD schools (Bryson, Wayside, Boswell). I recommend you stay faaaaaar away from this area. The ONLY thing it has going for it are CHEAP new homes. And when I say cheap... I mean cheap. Low prices and low quality.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:17 PM

Thank you. I appreciate all this input. I drove around Grapevine and did like it. I just hated that the houses were all jammed on top of each other in the neighborhoods we saw. I was hoping for slightly bigger lots/views like EML. Or, if I couldn't have that, then being close in to Ft.W like Ridglea. I am still keeping all options open at this point. What makes the EM ISD schools so bad? Just curious....

Old 08-12-2012, 09:59 AM

As much as I love Grapevine, it isn't "Austin-ey" at all. Yes, we have a fun downtown area with some cool galleries and fun bars, but the rest of the town is a fairly typical suburb. Grapevine is known for excellent schools.

Your issue with small lot sizes is going to be typical of north Texas as a whole. You won't find large lots until you get into seriously $$$ homes, or go a long way out, like near Eagle Mountain Lake. You can either subject your husband to a hellaciously long commute, or put up with a smaller lot. One thing that may help is looking for a corner lot, or a pie-shaped one in a cul-de-sac. Those are a little larger than the norm.

I will let others comment on the school issues...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth