U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2006, 08:30 PM

2 posts, read 12,692 times

Advertisements

Hi, i am new to this forum and would like to know where the slums of dallas and fort worth, (TEXAS) are. which sides are more quiet and which are more industrial?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2006, 06:49 PM

122 posts, read 779,127 times
It's really not accurate to answer your question in terms of "which side." There are very crappy areas on the north side, east side, south side and west side of Fort Worth, but there are also very, VERY nice homes on the north side, east side, south side and west side. You just have to look around a bit, and you'll quickly determine which areas are nice and which aren't. My personal preference is for the northern half of the city, mostly because it's where I'm from. The western side can be a bit more eclectic, or something to that effect. The southern sides can be a bit yuppied up, but that might be what you're looking for. Then again the northern side can be that way as well. With careful looking, you can find some really nice older homes that are well taken care of in certain part of the east side.

I know this didn't answer your question much, but perhaps it's told you that you don't have to totally exclude one section of Fort Worth if it's what you're looking for. If you start focusing on a more specific area, we'd love to give you more info and point you in the right direction.

Old 09-29-2006, 11:19 PM

138 posts, read 710,454 times
Also, there are no "slums" per se in either city. Run down areas with higher areas of crime, yes, just as in any city, but no "slums" as in the northeast section of the nation. I was once transferred to Newark, NJ. Now that's slums. I lasted 6 weeks and back to Texas.

Old 10-11-2006, 12:58 AM

11,798 posts, read 23,025,779 times
Generally speaking, the poor areas are close to downtown in both Ft Worth and Dallas (that's true in most cities), but there are exceptions to that rule. I basically agree with etexbill.

Old 10-11-2006, 09:22 AM

1,067 posts, read 5,304,473 times
Dallas has great areas mixed in with being bad. You can live on a great street but 3 streets over there could be a crack house. We know a couple who lives down in Winnetka Heights and live on a really quite street. We made the unfortunate choice to leave our car with a mechanic shop just a block away and found that the window had been shot out the next morning. I found the bullet too. We also went to visit one of my husbands bosses in White Rock Lake, had a beautiful home built around the 20's. The whole neighborhood is in a very picturesqe setting with mature trees and homes build with an old world flavor. To get there we had to go through a pretty bad neighborhood. I would never stop and have asked for directions if we had been lost. It takes a certain type of person to be able to live in the inner city. I think I could have in my younger , childless years, but now being a parent, I don't think so.

Old 10-16-2006, 09:19 PM

48 posts, read 188,816 times
fort worth sucks..been here four months from Orlando, FL and we are putting our house up for sale and moving to CO. Look else where, you have been warned!

Old 10-16-2006, 09:31 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,047,721 times
Wow..thats a wealth of information. Why does it suck? Why did the area not meet your expectations?

Old 08-28-2007, 11:08 AM

9 posts, read 33,036 times
We have been away from our home town of Fort Worth for four years, we lived in Cleveland...no that is an area that needs help, but there are bad areas everywhere...but we are glad to be back, expect for the heat - Fort Worth is strange because you can have a really neat little cool area and one block over it is considered bad, but the revitalization of the downtown area is really great and there is a lot of housing that is nice and affordable, but you really have to know what kind of area and environmetn you want, college age crowd, older establised neighborhood, reviatized etc...good luck.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:41 PM

65 posts, read 295,687 times
No offense, but when I lived in Fort Worth, most of the city was pretty rundown in appearance. Many of the commerical/retail corridors are really unattractive and most of the city's businesses are more industrial in nature, thus making several parts of town very working class in appearance. The northern part of the city, pass the very rundown northside, is mostly new and clean, but unfortunately is mainly sprawling, cheap, cookie-cutter, poorly planned neighborhoods and strip centers. In other words, rundown neighborhoods of the very near future. There are some very beautiful areas around the zoo, TCU, and Westside, but most of the city looked slummy to me. Much more so than other cities in Texas.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:51 PM

70 posts, read 109,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjon View Post
Hi, i am new to this forum and would like to know where the slums of dallas and fort worth, (TEXAS) are. which sides are more quiet and which are more industrial?
Well, unfortunately, there are many because of all the illegals and things like that. So, here goes. This isn't all of them.

Dallas:
Fair Park Area
South Dallas, south of downtown 2nd Avenue
Parts of Oak Cliff and Pleasant Grove, THOUGH NOT ALL
SOUTH IRVING, BAD
Certain areas of Farmers Branch off Josey aren't that nice
Oak Lawn, west of Cedar Springs, east of Maple
Victory Meadows off NW Hwy. and Greenville, not real bad but dense
The list goes on and on and on...unfortunately, with all the illegals, Dallas looks as if it's becoming more of a two class society.

I don't know much about Ft. Worth. Don't get over there very often anymore. It's probably changed. Hope I didn't step on any toes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth