Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2012, 08:24 PM

782 posts, read 1,105,587 times

Advertisements

Curious about people's thoughts about the school and area around here. I had been thinking more towards Richland Hills personally, but I'm finding a few more properties/spots here that interest me. Are the schools up to grade? What is the area like? Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 09:17 PM

690 posts, read 1,728,811 times
There are some links within this forum for school ratings.
Use the search

or use the following link:

//www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...ion-index.html

The two cities you have listed are some of the more mature
areas next to Fort Worth and therefore have all amenities
nearby.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:16 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
Haltom City used to have tons of Vietnamese relocation immigrants -- now I think it has more Hispanic population...
City Data has stats on the population makeup and other statistics like avg income and education...

check a crime map for either site...
there are plenty of people living there who are not a bother to anyone...but lower income areas always have more crime than more affluent areas...
Richland Hills has been plagued lately with battles on its city council and its tax base...
it suffered a big income loss when the Sam's on Hwy 10 pulled out years ago and hasn't really made that up very well...
the TRE station has been a topic of conversation--with some gentrification going on there to bring in revenue
some people in Richland Hills want to stop bus service in/out of FTW and paying the tax to FTW but other (mainly elderly residents) believe there is a real need for that service...
so far the buses are staying...

Google FTW Star Telegram and either town and get some news about local events...

Old 09-25-2012, 05:01 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,861,548 times
Loves2Read gives excellent advice to check out the Star-Telegram archives. Richland Hills has its fair share of drama...

I can tell you this from personal experience: a couple I know bought an older home with land in RH. They did a lot of work fixing it up, and thought they'd found their perfect place. But now the neighborhood is going down. The homes there are big, and many of them are now housing multiple families. Crime is way up; my friends' car got broken into in their driveway, stuff got stolen off their porch, they now occasionally hear gunshots nearby, etc. My friends are having a tough time deciding whether to stay and ride the downward spiral, or sell and get out.

Schools in RH are not the best, and same for Haltom City. The part of Haltom City south of 820 (little frame houses) is downright SCARY!!!

Old 09-25-2012, 05:00 PM

308 posts, read 637,956 times
Haltom and Richland Hills are part of Birdville ISD. Birdville is a quality school district.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanwood View Post
Haltom and Richland Hills are part of Birdville ISD. Birdville is a quality school district.
Right, but the individual schools that serve the neighborhoods may not be very good. I have no idea if Birdville allows students to transfer to other schools within the district...?

Old 09-26-2012, 07:22 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,612,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
Curious about people's thoughts about the school and area around here. I had been thinking more towards Richland Hills personally, but I'm finding a few more properties/spots here that interest me. Are the schools up to grade? What is the area like? Thanks for any input!
There are sections within Haltom City that I say would be just fine for many people, although it really depends on your definition of what you are looking for. However, many of the schools that serve the city not the best even though they are part of Birdville ISD which is overall a very good district.

The isn't much in Richland Hills I'd recommend and I lived there for many many years. I'd certainly not choose anywhere zoned for Richland Elementary and right now I'd not choose Richland Middle school until they get it back up to par. They are working very hard at fixing what is wrong there, but it's not there yet.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:59 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Loves2Read gives excellent advice to check out the Star-Telegram archives. Richland Hills has its fair share of drama...

I can tell you this from personal experience: a couple I know bought an older home with land in RH. They did a lot of work fixing it up, and thought they'd found their perfect place. But now the neighborhood is going down. The homes there are big, and many of them are now housing multiple families. Crime is way up; my friends' car got broken into in their driveway, stuff got stolen off their porch, they now occasionally hear gunshots nearby, etc. My friends are having a tough time deciding whether to stay and ride the downward spiral, or sell and get out.

Schools in RH are not the best, and same for Haltom City. The part of Haltom City south of 820 (little frame houses) is downright SCARY!!!
I live in RH, and I think your friends must be a little mistaken. Not sure where exactly they live, but in my part of RH, crime is almost nonexistent, I've never heard gunshots, and while we don't leave our doors unlocked, we leave stuff outside all the time. Never had a problem, ever.

Your friend needs to look around more. I see an upward spiral, personally. More people buying and fixing up houses.

As for the drama - it made life interesting for few months, then the wackjobs that had a personal issue went away, and all is good.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:59 PM

They live on Bridges, near where it meets Booth-Calloway. Those apartments there are not getting any better, and neither are the ones on Baker. That's probably where both the gunshots and thefts came from...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth