Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-09-2012, 02:03 PM
 
274 posts, read 295,484 times
Reputation: 206

Advertisements

I live and work in Ft. Worth. I'm in my mid twenties. I'm saving up to buy a home. I'm having to look at Dallas because Ft. Worth doesn't have much variety outside of single-family homes. I'm looking for a townhome in the 250k and under range, something like this. A search on Realtor.com reveals nothing! I travel frequently for work and the thoughts of maintaining a yard are not appealing. It's frustrating that planners and developers in Ft. Worth seem to be focused on building nothing but single-family homes and garden apartments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-09-2012, 04:36 PM
 
Location: DFW
1,002 posts, read 1,287,255 times
Reputation: 1721
I just ran a search using ebby.com (couldn't get the advanced search feature to work on Realtor) with the criteria you listed and came up with 107 results. There's a few in not-so-great areas, but a lot are in downtown, West 7th, South Hulen, or Arlington Heights. I'm not sure if there's something else you're looking for, but those are quality areas that I would look at if I were in the market for a condo or townhome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2012, 04:55 PM
 
690 posts, read 1,720,985 times
Reputation: 542
The townhomes you are looking at appear to be the same as some that I seen on Hwy 26 in the Colleyville area.
I was also going to suggest the lofts in or around complex with the name 7th street station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2012, 10:52 PM
 
Location: Dallas
2,413 posts, read 3,457,378 times
Reputation: 4129
Rocky: It's really hard to sell a town home in any suburb. I would not suggest buying one there, and the lofts on west 7th are in foreclosure last time I heard and not for sale.

Fedguy: Dallas is the best place for these types of homes. I'm in your same boat, but the ones I really like start in the 300s. I suggest getting familiar with Dallas and moving here. Fort worth doesn't have a lot of town home development. Realtor.com has great search options. Zip code 75219 in Dallas has a lot of town homes. I like InTownHomes - Home Page. I went to a model home built by them in Houston a few months ago, it was really nice but theres a lot of options in Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2012, 06:05 AM
 
Location: Kaufman County, Texas
11,814 posts, read 26,633,401 times
Reputation: 10531
If he lives in Dallas, but works in Fort Worth, that's going to be a horrible commute in both time and expense. Any savings he would get from paying a mortgage vs. rent would be negated by additional wear and tear on the car, and gas.

As JBB said, there are town homes in Fort Worth in those areas. You might also look at "zero lot line" or "patio" homes as they have very small yards. And as others have warned, these types of homes often do not resell well. If your job is going to transfer you within 10 years, thusrequiring you to sell, you would be better off remaining a renter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2012, 08:05 AM
 
37,315 posts, read 59,444,372 times
Reputation: 25330
Foolish
If you can't find house you want save your money
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2012, 12:24 PM
 
274 posts, read 295,484 times
Reputation: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbb303 View Post
I just ran a search using ebby.com (couldn't get the advanced search feature to work on Realtor) with the criteria you listed and came up with 107 results. There's a few in not-so-great areas, but a lot are in downtown, West 7th, South Hulen, or Arlington Heights. I'm not sure if there's something else you're looking for, but those are quality areas that I would look at if I were in the market for a condo or townhome.
Oddly enough, that ebby site you quoted seems to do a better job than returning listings than realtor.com. I'm not a fan of those Lancaster street condos, but it did return quite a number of townhomes I'll have to check out. Thank you.

My person opinion on west 7 area is that it's overrated. And overpriced. I currently on 7th street and have not been impressed at all.

An idea I toyed with on and off is to take the TRE train from Dallas to Fort Worth. It would be an hour each way but may be worth it since employer is subsidizing annual transit cost for those who choose to use it.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. As you can probably tell, I was frustrated yesterday, but I received a lot of good feedback and leads to follow. It's too early to work with a realtor, I need to do some scouting for myself. I'm still leaning towards Dallas, but I now have some additional areas in Fort Worth to check out, which would be ideal if I can find something here for a short commute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read
Foolish
If you can't find house you want save your money
And a special thank you for your contribution to the thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2012, 12:42 PM
 
Location: Simmering in DFW
6,952 posts, read 22,590,228 times
Reputation: 7295
I really like Christie's suggestion of a patio house/villa. Some other thoughts:

1. it is almost always easier to sell a single family house over a condo/townhouse. Many townhouse communities have HOA fees that equal or exceed the cost of getting a lawn service. You could probably get your lawn mowed for about $35 a week for 7 months a year... about $1K a year. Keep that in mind as you consider communities and balance HOA fees.

2. Find a realtor to help you who knows the area.

3. If you really are leaning towards Dallas, consider Las Colinas b/c there's a TRE line in Irving or you could catch one in Hurst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2012, 01:32 PM
 
156 posts, read 281,947 times
Reputation: 155
I know from personal experience that the 1 hour each way is going to get real old, plus it makes it really hard if you have to be at your home for a service call during the work week (or anything else), which with home ownership happens more than you think.

Find a small house in Arlington Heights, hire someone to mow it (in fact you can get them to fertilize, trim, pretty much do whatever you need) and spend those two extra hours a day doing small improvements on the house, upping your chance to actually make some money on the property.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2012, 05:18 PM
 
Location: Dallas
2,413 posts, read 3,457,378 times
Reputation: 4129
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedguy2 View Post
Oddly enough, that ebby site you quoted seems to do a better job than returning listings than realtor.com. I'm not a fan of those Lancaster street condos, but it did return quite a number of townhomes I'll have to check out. Thank you.

My person opinion on west 7 area is that it's overrated. And overpriced. I currently on 7th street and have not been impressed at all.

An idea I toyed with on and off is to take the TRE train from Dallas to Fort Worth. It would be an hour each way but may be worth it since employer is subsidizing annual transit cost for those who choose to use it.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. As you can probably tell, I was frustrated yesterday, but I received a lot of good feedback and leads to follow. It's too early to work with a realtor, I need to do some scouting for myself. I'm still leaning towards Dallas, but I now have some additional areas in Fort Worth to check out, which would be ideal if I can find something here for a short commute.



And a special thank you for your contribution to the thread.
I 100% agree with what you said about west 7th st. The TRE may be a good option for you. I had no idea you were going to be commuting to Fort Worth during the work week. It's more of a reverse commute, but the traffic in that direction is unpredictable. I would assume it would be worse in the afternoon with people going to Arlington/Grand Prairie for various events. No wonder your so fed up with your options! It's a hard decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:43 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top