Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 04:03 PM

10 posts, read 42,416 times

Advertisements

We are looking for homes in Ft. Worth. We have found a great house on Bellaire, directly across from the TCU campus. Very busy street and people use the side street that would be used to turn into the driveway to turn off of Bellaire. The home is very solid and you hear none of the traffic while inside. We have three children under 7, but certainly wouldn't allow them out front, which is fine with me. Where we live now, in OKC, we are really overrun with children and kids in the streets. I realize this would be a lifestyle change, but really like the idea of living close in. My question is whether any of you live in busy areas, how you deal with it, what you think, etc. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 07:37 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
if you are seriously considering this house, you should check out what happens in football season when there is a home game--

Old 10-25-2007, 08:34 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,887,311 times
or getting out of your driveway during high traffic times. (especially turing against traffic) may not seem like too much trouble, but after a year of having to wait 10-15 minutes just to get out of your drive would get real old for me.

Are there lots of college renters in hte neighborhood? I was one at one time, loved being able to walk to campus etc... but now that I have kids, I don't want to be in the "Party neighborhood" every weekend. Check out the neighborhood on Friday and Sat nights, the busy road may be the least of your worries.

Also really how practical is keep 3 kids from going out the front door. Toddlers yes but once they are riding bikes etc... have friends down the street is keeping them constantly under lock and key really practical? By the end of a year you will feel like nazi mom..."don't go out in the front, NO you cant get the mail, Who left the door open??" etc...

Old 10-25-2007, 10:40 AM

According to the google map, it is near the intersection of S. Bellaire and Bellaire W? Hope that makes sense - I am unfamiliar with Ft. Worth in general. It is diagonal to the campus - and there is a yard, etc. I'm not completely foolish here about having children. People live in NYC and San Francisco, etc. with families. We aren't home much. I appreciate any feedback on the area. The people living there now have children and there are homes on both sides, but it definitely doesn't appear to be rental homes or anything.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:00 PM

Berry is very busy street that is big cross town artery--think there would be traffic around that house pretty much all day long--whether or not you notice it inside.
If it is the house I caught on an MLS search it has only 1200 sq ft and is less than .18 acre for a yard--and lists only 2 bedrooms--and you have 3 kids under 7--

personally I think it is still overpriced--notice that it has been listed since September and it could have been listed for longer than that on a previous listing that expired...the price drop probably means there is significant problem beyond the price per sq ft--maybe electrical or something expensive to repair--but 5 people and a 2 bedroom house--I think you are brave...

Old 10-25-2007, 01:22 PM

That's not it - it has four bedrooms, plenty of room. We have a place in the country for weekends if we buy this - we may build in Weatherford. Heard the schools are good and the areas I saw were really pretty. MLS # 10844807.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:53 PM

5 posts, read 17,723 times
Default Grew up

I grew up in the TCU area, actually on Stadium, so yes I know exactly where you are...there really wasn't any issues when we were kids, but you know kids will be kids and you just have to watch out for them! But the area has always been great and would love to move back if I ever got the opportunity!

There are a lot of renters off of Berry, so just watch out you may move next to some college kids that can either be the best or your worst nightmare--we always had great college neighbors from what I remember! The game days do get a little hectic so just be aware of when they are! But traffic is busy but just remember it could be worse...especially since that is where I was from and now living in Houston, I don't take it for granted when I come back "home".

The schools in the area are really good...the high school is one of the top high schools in the state!

Good luck on your decision!

Old 10-25-2007, 05:07 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,887,311 times
Quote:
I'm not completely foolish here about having children
hey...just playing devils advocate here. (I too have 3 kids)

I know how it is when you find a house you really like, it's easy to dismiss the negatives.

Quote:
but it definitely doesn't appear to be rental homes
If it's in walking distance to major university like TCU the neighborhood WILL have rentals for college kids.
I've known many parents that buy a small house near campus for thier kids to use.

AGAIN...just playing Devils advocate.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:43 AM

that house is very attractive--big difference between the one I mentioned and thought you were talking about--but it does have a very small yard--how convenient is that rear garage to get in and out of?
Unusual to see a basement in this part of TX--guess because it is older home--probably a pretty good safe room in times of bad weather...

Old 10-26-2007, 07:45 AM

Great house, just wish it were on another street. Someone will probably buy it before we can reach a decision anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth