Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 08:19 PM

2 posts, read 12,067 times

Advertisements

Thinking of the FW area. When I say to people I want to move to
TX, I hear "why, it's hot and muggy?" My family being from houston, this is something that I'm aware of, and prepared for. But I just read something about hail storms the size of soft balls, tornadoes and a picture of a SNOWMAN. I'm trying to talk my husband out of Rhode Island, where he is from, because I hate snow, I can't very well take him to a place that snows. What the nitty gritty on the seasonal changes there????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2006, 09:12 PM

138 posts, read 749,301 times
Yes, it snows in Ft. Worth, every 3 or 4 years. The real problem is ice storms just like in most of north, east, northeast and the panhandle of Texas in the winter. Tornados?? don't you remember the one that hit downtown Ft. Worth and destroyed the bank skyscraper and several buildings a few years ago. Hail, yes sometimes in the spring. But you have all this and worse in Houston. There is winter weather in Texas, very cold in the panhandle and 15-20 degrees in most of the rest of the state on a few days, but then it may be 80 degrees in the next day or so. It all depends on the cold fronts moving across the state.

Last edited by etexbill; 10-03-2006 at 09:23 PM..

Old 10-04-2006, 09:33 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,788,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etexbill View Post
Yes, it snows in Ft. Worth, every 3 or 4 years. The real problem is ice storms just like in most of north, east, northeast and the panhandle of Texas in the winter. Tornados?? don't you remember the one that hit downtown Ft. Worth and destroyed the bank skyscraper and several buildings a few years ago. Hail, yes sometimes in the spring. But you have all this and worse in Houston. There is winter weather in Texas, very cold in the panhandle and 15-20 degrees in most of the rest of the state on a few days, but then it may be 80 degrees in the next day or so. It all depends on the cold fronts moving across the state.
Being close to the coast, Houston very rarely has ice, snow, hail, etc. I've lived in Austin and Houston and there was MUCH more of this in Austin, none in Houston. DFW has more of this as well. Houston occasionally does get a few tornados but they're those tiny F-1 that may damage a tree or window and that's it.

Old 10-04-2006, 11:05 AM

Yep, but it snowed on Galveston beach in 2004. And don't forget the hurricane of 1900 in Galveston that killed over 6,000 people. Texas is not the greatest for weather anywhere, (but I love it still).

Old 10-04-2006, 01:59 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,707,787 times
Yep, we do get some snow. We bundle up and take the kids and the dogs out to see it. Of course the dogs totally freak out as they are not used to it . We make a snowman, all of 2" tall . If we are lucky but then once you build the snowman there is NO SNOW at all in your yard and you may have had to use the snow in your neighbors yard too. Now, ice is the main problem. When we do get some snow it does melt pretty quick and the problem is when the temps drop at night it freezes. We also get sleet (freezing rain) and we get the nice icy roads. So when people say that us Texans do not know how to drive in cold weather or snow, it ain't snow, IT IS ICE!!! Huge difference. The cities have gotten pretty good about getting out and sanding the bridges, overpasses and really icy roads and usually by lunchtime it is melted and everyone is w/o a coat. Ft. Worth and the Western edges do get more of this stuff (snow, ice, sleet) than we do over on the Dallas side.

Hail, yes we do get that every year and usually more than once a year. Mostly in the Spring. Sometimes it is very small like pea size others it can be pretty large and bad. A few years ago over on the Northeast side of Dallas County we had some really bad hail. It was not large but it was not smooth but rather very jagged. It ripped up everything. Entire neighborhoods needed new roofs. Destroyed any and all outdoor furniture. The canvas on my kids backyard fort/swingset looked like swiss cheese. Then there was the really bad hailstorm during Mayfest in Ft. Worth that happened around May 5th back in early 90's. Insurance does cover hail damage but you have to remember your deductible on your home is usually about 1% of the value. And hail damaged cars get a bad rap. So if your car does get hail damage do get it fixed.

Old 10-04-2006, 02:01 PM

Default Oops!

Oops. That should be all of 2' not 2". For those that build the larger snowmen they had to steal all of the snow off of every neighbors yard.

Old 10-04-2006, 02:18 PM

Yep, we had a severe ice storm 3 or 4 years ago, (time flies) and parts of East Texas (parts of Gilmer for instance) were with out power for two weeks. Line repair men from as far away as Florida came to this area.

Old 10-04-2006, 02:20 PM

Bless her heart, shelbyco5 will be headed for Rhode Island if we keep this talk about Texas weather going.

Old 10-04-2006, 02:27 PM

Na, it only snows for a few minutes around here once in awhile. The kids get really upset when they see the snow fall while they are at school and by the time they get out it is gone. And that ice, cold and ice one day and the next your tempted to heat the pool to swim it is so warm. She can always tell her husband it will be cheaper to live here than RI. She won't need that mink coat here . A nice jacket and a pair of gloves will do for the most part. Then she can spend the extra money on a convertible.

Old 10-04-2006, 03:03 PM

A couple of years ago it snowed a blizzard here on Feb. 14, was beautiful on the 15th and 65 degrees and gone on the 16th.

There, shelbyco5. It's not so bad. Texas is a lot better (and much bigger) than Rhode Island. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth