Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 12:42 PM

70 posts, read 111,146 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I will be moving to DFW area from NYC for a job located near 35 and 820 intersection. Being a mid 20s single young professional, I am looking for a nice, safe, and friendly 1 bedroom apartment in a really nice neighborhood/community. My budget hopefully will be around 600-700 per month for rent. I am also considering going to UTA/fort worth downtown to get a masters so it should be somewhat convenient.

Being how I have no idea what its like in fort worth, can anybody provide feedback? I lived in NYC my entire life (outer boroughs) so I am not fond of living directly in a crowded city and I do dislike traffic.

I am also asian american so I am afraid of being discriminated against, so crime is an important factor for me.

Let me know Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 05:05 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,924,582 times
A very similar question about apartment locations was answered yesterday. According to the answers in that thread, you'd probably like to search in the Fossil Creek neighborhood and in North Richland Hills ...

Moving to Fort Worth: Tarrant County 101. Estimate Cost of living and Crime. Female 20s

There is a lot of traffic in Ft Worth and that is certainly true for the area around 820 at I-35, but I have no idea how it compares to the outer boroughs of NYC. Also, it is not inner city around 820 at I-35, it is a suburban atmosphere. The road construction in that area is very annoying, though. Also get ready for roads that are probably a lot bumpier and less well kept than what you're used to, full of potholes and bumps.

You can probably find out information about crime from the Ft. Worth police department
Crime Information | Fort Worth, Texas, Police Department or North Richland Hills police department North Richland Hills, TX - Official Website - CrimeReports.com
Most of the land around 820 at I-35 is in the city of Ft. Worth. North Richland Hills is a suburb that is east of 820 at I-35.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:47 PM

1,008 posts, read 1,300,355 times
Keep in mind that, when people around here tell you that traffic is bad, it usually means that they have to stop at more than one red light on the way to Starbucks. Sure, there is a lot of heavy congestion in the area around 35/820, but the construction is temporary.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:39 PM

LOL thanks!

Part of me hopes you were kidding about the "congestion" but the other part of me doesn't. If traffic is anything like the LIE during rush hour then that is what I consider terrible.

I also dunno what is meant by bumpier roads since I live in NYC and potholes develop everyday.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:48 PM

1,008 posts, read 1,300,355 times
I've been to NYC, but never had to drive there, so I don't have a lot of experience on the roads there. Just as a casual observer, I would say that traffic here would be slightly better or at least comparable. There are 3 ongoing highway projects that have things screwed up in Tarrant County right now - DFW Connector north of the airport, North Tarrant Express, and Chisolm Trail Parkway in southwest Fort Worth. All 3 have are scheduled to wrap up within the next 3 years. Just my commute for example: I drive 50 miles round trip each day and I hit NTE and CTP on either end. I get to work in Fort Worth in right at 30 minutes and I get home in 40 or less. I hit stop and go traffic at the beginning of my morning drive and the end of it in the evening. I don't consider that a terrible commute or terrible traffic.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbb303 View Post
I've been to NYC, but never had to drive there, so I don't have a lot of experience on the roads there. Just as a casual observer, I would say that traffic here would be slightly better or at least comparable. There are 3 ongoing highway projects that have things screwed up in Tarrant County right now - DFW Connector north of the airport, North Tarrant Express, and Chisolm Trail Parkway in southwest Fort Worth. All 3 have are scheduled to wrap up within the next 3 years. Just my commute for example: I drive 50 miles round trip each day and I hit NTE and CTP on either end. I get to work in Fort Worth in right at 30 minutes and I get home in 40 or less. I hit stop and go traffic at the beginning of my morning drive and the end of it in the evening. I don't consider that a terrible commute or terrible traffic.

cool thanks! the fossil creek area should be good for me nice and close to work...I hear a lot about freeways in Texas that actually have tolls and now they actually just take pictures of your license plate and send you the bill? Don't know how true that is but I would rather not incur costs...also whats the best way to get to Dallas? If I take the TRE, is it difficult getting around Dallas walking? What about by car?

Old 02-13-2013, 03:33 PM

11,820 posts, read 26,739,933 times
If you live in the Fossil Creek area, you won't want to take the TRE to Dallas. It doesn't go anywhere near where you live. Also, Dallas tends to be pretty spread out, so a car is much more handy unless the reason for your trip happens to be right b the train station (such as the State Fair).

There are not currently any toll roads in NW Tarrant County. However, toll lanes are part of the plan for the new 183/820 reconstruction, but they will be optional. Yes, they can send you a bill based on the license tag of the car. Its a lot cheaper to buy a TollTag even if you don't use it regularly.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:06 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,640,009 times
University of Dallas has outlier campus in Colleyville/Hurst area just north of Cheek-Sparger on Hwy 26--
that is close to new apts in NRichland Hills also along Hwy 26...

You can lease for 6 mo in area close to your job and see how you like Fossil Creek area--
Alliance has brought lot of new development along I-35 N going to Denton--
new, upscale shopping/restaurants/movie complex
even hospital going in that area
Old Town Keller is not too far away depending on how you go and where you are staying
some local restaurants there that are pretty good...
it is just pretty sterile area in sense that there is no community -- nothing really walkable--

but your price point is little low for some of the apts in downtown FTW--going a reverse drive north in the AM might not be a bad commute--but apts downtown are expensive

Old 02-14-2013, 09:06 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,502,086 times
The DFW area is spread out over a 60 mile swath. Traffic is worse in Dallas and better in FW. In 1993 it took 2 hours to go from FW to Dallas during rush hour. Not sure about now.

Might want to try Hurst/Bedford/Euless.

One thing we did before signing a rental contract on an apt. Is find one you like and then go there at 10 or 11PM on a Saturday night and see what is going on. That is when the rougher elements come out.

I have not heard of any anti-Asian sentiment in DFW or Austin ever. But maybe I am out of touch.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:07 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,502,086 times
Default burbs can be...boring

FYI-The burbs can be maddeningly boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth