U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 06:43 AM

82 posts, read 207,463 times

Advertisements

Were considering DFW area and are wondering those of you who have moved from another state...or considering a move another state...Where from and Why? and how are you adjusting? what are your likes and dislikes? anything you can add is greatly appreciated.....are the summers really that bad? do you adjust to the heat? how about tornadoes/storms? cost of living? taxes/insurance....?

Thanks so much!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 06:56 AM

634 posts, read 1,208,083 times
I moved here for a better job. I love it down here for the most part coming from the northeast. Weather is definitely warmer but hardly any humidity and the weathers are very tolerable. Tornados haven't been an issue the 3 years I've been here.

Cost of living is terrific down here compared to the northeast especially in housing prices.

Downtown Fort Worth is one of the cleanest and nicest big cities in the country I believe.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:58 AM

17,062 posts, read 2,326,725 times
We moved here two years ago. The weather is what it is. If it gets too hot there is a/c:>) Cost of living depends on your needs and expectations.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:19 AM

664 posts, read 1,569,869 times
I came here from Georgia two years ago. I was working as a software developer in a rural town halfway between Atlanta and Greenville. I moved because I wanted to make more money. In order to do that in my profession, I really needed to live near a big city. Atlanta was NOT going to be that city. Mainly because of the traffic. Since I moved to the Atlanta area in 1987, they've added millions of people but very few new controlled-access highways. Greenville is nice but didn't have enough opportunity for me there to consider it seriously since I was moving anyway.

I have some family who live south of Dallas in Waxahachie. I used to live around there myself but left when I was very young without any intention of returning. My wife, kids, and I went out there a few years ago for my grandmother's funeral and ended up stumbling across Grapefest while we were there. We had a blast. When we were considering moving, I looked up DFW job prospects for me. I found out there were a ton of them and most of them were a pretty short drive from Grapevine. My wife and kids needed no convincing. I found a job and we moved out here.

As far as adjusting, we love it here. We spent the last 10 years in a small town in Georgia where we were one of the few families who didn't grow up there. I absolutely love living in an area now where almost nobody is from here. People out here make friends based on common interests, not based on who is related to who. I also love the diversity. And by diversity I don't just mean skin color. There are people from all over the world living in this area (mostly due to its proximity to DFW airport).

My favorite thing about DFW is that there's no traffic here! People complain about the traffic but I don't think those people have seen real traffic. There are pockets of traffic (around I35W and 377 especially) but that's about it other than road construction. The downside to building and improving roads as much as they do is that roads seem to always be under construction.

Weather is weather. Yeah, it gets hot. It's not as humid as it was in Atlanta though so it's not so bad. I'd rather have 100F here than 90F there. Storms happen. We take cover if needed. Life goes on. Our only weather criteria when moving is that we didn't want to live somewhere that expected snow. An occasional freak snowstorm was ok. Settling in for winter was not. So far, that expectation has been met.

Cost of living is about the same as metro Atlanta. That's a little higher than I was experiencing out in rural Georgia but not terrible. It's also worth noting that there is no state income tax but property tax rates are pretty high. I'm paying roughly the same in property tax here as I was in state income tax plus property tax in Georgia. Insurance was a little higher but there wasn't any sticker shock. Sales tax is in the 8% range in most places here which is also slightly higher than I was used to.

My family really loves it here. Hopefully, I've provided enough information that you can make your own determination. Good luck with wherever you decide to live.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:43 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,423,019 times
We moved here from Chicago. We moved here because it was a better place for my job. I like it here because of the opportunity it has given me and the people here are generally nice and there are nice places that we have found to build our home.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:59 AM

26 posts, read 67,041 times
Moved here from Ohio in 1986 to work for General Dynamics. I had to get away from the snow after the Blizzard of '78. The only thing I miss is having a basement. Summers are not that bad; you get used to the heat quickly.

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk 2

Old 02-21-2013, 09:32 PM

34 posts, read 57,466 times
Moved here exactly a year ago from Houston for my husbands job relocation! We LOVE it!!! It's so much nicer and cleaner, people are friendly, not as hot as Houston. Traffic in the north is awful though!

Old 02-21-2013, 10:48 PM

440 posts, read 759,590 times
Default We were -well me in particular

was sick of the cold weather and shoveling snow -moved from MA-we asked to move to TX (I know the horror! People felt sorry for us-I felt sorry for them- LOL!) We love it here-takes my husband exactly 10minutes to get to work instead of an hour plus-cost of living has been alot cheaper for us-utilities have been cheaper-we have a beautiful energy efficient house we built on a golf course-and the weather is wonderful-this winter I have put on a jacket exactly twice-mainly wear a fleece sweatshirt and it's all good. We have had a few good storms since moving here but nothing crazy-we have a place in our house to use in case of a tornado- (interior room-no windows under the stairs) Summer last year was more than tolerable although I think the year before they had 100 days over 100 so that could get silly-but everywhere has a/c so you get used to it. We moved to the USA 16years ago and I never felt I belonged until we moved here-the people I have met in Texas have been so welcoming to our whole family. I think it helps that so many people are relocating to Texas so there are alot of us ready to make new friends.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:13 PM

12 posts, read 17,858 times
Well Fort Worth is not that expensive and I love the weather. The people are nice and i don't have to travel far just to go to work.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:02 PM

28 posts, read 49,031 times
Default funny

Funny you ask that, because I have been asked many times. Whenever I tell someone I moved here from Georgia they look at me with disbelief and ask "why?!" then when you say "job" they all seem to accept that your not crazy. It seems lots of people are here for jobs, it certainly isn't for the weather. Next time I'm gonna say "because I like 110 degree summers and the smell of skunks roasting in the sun."

Seriously it has taken some adaptation, mainly to the cost of living...real estate taxes and home insurance 3X what it was in Ga. 8.25% tax on EVERYTHING...i think if they could tax your tax they would. No state income tax, but whoopee doo, i usually got most of that back when I filed in Ga.
Groceries are 20% higher here too, you think with all the cows walking around you could get hamburger for less than $2 a pound, but nope, not unless you go to the stockyards and buy half a side of beef and make it yourself....beer and gas is more expensive here also. They have a river here that runs all the way to the gulf, but everyone is scared to swim in it, something about polution or dead bodies. My biggest gripe is there is better Tex-Mex food in Ga. They have as many if not more Mexicans living and working there and near Roswell we had dozens of places to choose from that gave you a bigger plate of better food for half the price. You could also get pitchers of margaritas for much less, and white queso...whats with all the yellow cheese dip out here?, it belongs on mac and cheese.....shortly after we moved here I thought potheads were everywhere, but it was real polecats behind the skunky smell that you find every week one place or another. I got my first speeding ticket 6 months after moving here, must have been lucky i lasted that long, everyone I have talked to has gotten one or more. Thought about buying a radar detector, but it wouldnt have helped, they set speedtraps just over the hills along the highway, once you top the hill your caught. Crime is worse here, someone stole my spare tire from under my pickup truck, really?!, really?! Then I see one rim for sale in the mexican flea market near downtown and understand why. I'm engraving my next one.
The biggest problem is the half-assed professionalism of soooo many people here...sorry I haven't found a politically correct way to say it. People say they will or can do something , then don't. Try to sell you stuff you don't need, or charge you for work they didnt do. Or they don't know what they're doing, or they do a half-assed job and try and charge full price, or they just dont call you back. this is common not just among landscapers and pool guys, but plumbers, real estate agents, brokers, home inspectors, mechanics...you name it. If you find a professional keep thier number and be thankful you didn't have to deal with 3-5 fools to finally find someone who does what they say they will. On the plus side If you are a professional starting a business here you have 60% of your competition beat without trying....any other state would fire most of the pretenders they have working here.
Thanks for letting me gripe...there are some pluses:

They still have "happy hour" specials in the bars and you can get a beer for $1.50, havent seen those prices in the Atlanta area in 30 years....also if a resteraunt doesnt have a liquor license here it is BYOB, they dont mind you bringing in a cooler. Downtown is nice and has a few safe tourist spots. People are friendly as hell here, we had southern hospitality in Ga. but Texas steps it up a level.

My wife got a big raise to transfer out here, once I get working hopefully we can fatten our nest egg and retire out of Texas in the next 10 years. I think thats the plan for most that come here for work, unless you truly like summers on the shady side of hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth