Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 12:22 PM

440 posts, read 866,866 times

Advertisements

to stop off overnight-also how long did it take you to get there-and any recommendations for best place to stay-gulf shores or orange beach?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 02:35 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,313,821 times
Not Gulf Shores, but I drove to Destin last summer, which is a shade further. I would recommend taking 20 to Shreveport, 49 to Lafayette, and 10/12 east to Mississippi. 45 to Houston and 10/12 east is not bad either. Taking 20 all the way to Jackson, MS and then the myriad of state highways south from there might be slightly shorter mileage wise, but the route is a snoozer and the roads south out of Jackson are a whip. 10/12 through Louisiana is not picturesque by any means, but it takes you through some swamp areas and over the massive shipping lanes in Baton Rouge. Plus, you're a short detour away from New Orleans if the mood strikes. Destin is about an hour further than Gulf Shores and we did it one day, going and coming home. And that was with a 1 year old and an 80 year old in the car. It was hard, but it saved money and time.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:31 PM

Default Thanks!

I need to feel some real beach sand under my feet for a week or so!

Old 02-22-2013, 09:28 AM

167 posts, read 334,696 times
Growing up in the Montgomery, AL area, I am very familiar with Gulf Shores and Orange Beach!

The Alabama gulf coast is beautiful, and lacks the insane tourist traffic that the Florida coast has.

One of my favorite places to go is the Gulf Sands National Seashore, near Perdido Key just across the AL/FL state line. You pay a $5-per-vehicle entry fee, but the beaches are sparsely populated and very quiet. It's a hidden gem!

Map link: Google Maps

Old 02-22-2013, 11:10 AM

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob. View Post
Growing up in the Montgomery, AL area, I am very familiar with Gulf Shores and Orange Beach!

The Alabama gulf coast is beautiful, and lacks the insane tourist traffic that the Florida coast has.

One of my favorite places to go is the Gulf Sands National Seashore, near Perdido Key just across the AL/FL state line. You pay a $5-per-vehicle entry fee, but the beaches are sparsely populated and very quiet. It's a hidden gem!

Map link: Google Maps
I grew up overseas with pristine beaches so I really miss them and have yet to find the same in the US-someone suggested I try Gulf shores-it might just be what I'm looking for!

Old 02-22-2013, 12:10 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,756,032 times
Since my s/o is from Mobile, we make the drive quite often, about 6 times a year. The drive can be a beating since and I agree with jbb303, I-20 is a real snooze, plus in Jackson and Shreveport, the roads are bad. For us, if we are trying to take the shortest route, we go 20 all the way to Meridian, then south on 145 s/e towards AL (since we have family north of Mobile also). It is a pretty easy drive but boring so to change it up, we will take what jbb mentioned, 20 to Shreveport, 49 to Lafayette, 10/12 to AL and sometimes we do stop in New Orleans. For more scenic but longer routes, we go to Alexandria to Natchez on 28/84, where we like to get a daiquiri in Vidalia before we cross the Mighty Mississippi. We've even taken 84 all the way through, the El Camino Corridor. Call us crazy, but we leave very early in the morning and drive all the way through. Bottom line, there are many ways to get to Gulf Shores, just depending on how quickly you want to get there or if you are looking for a more leisurely/scenic route.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:12 AM

1 posts, read 22,723 times
If u want just plan sand & water Florida is OK-If you want Sand of the Sea Shore & the Mountains to come together & nobody around. Try Oregon are Washington. U can be in Seattle from D/FW metroplex in 23 hours stright driveing at the posted speed lemit.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:11 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times
Like others have posted, we always drove it in one day. Road time was 11-12 hours no matter which route we took. But that was summer time, with late sunset.
We usually left around 7 AM, arrived in Gulf Shores around 7 PM, before sunset.
I doubt I'd do it in one day if it meant driving the last leg after dark.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:47 PM

Thanks-i think we could do it in one day-the beaches look beautiful! Looking forward to warm "squeaky" sand and warm seawater!

Old 02-26-2013, 06:13 AM

26 posts, read 75,776 times
You might consider taking US 190 across Southern Louisania instead of I-10. I think it's quicker and more scenic. Then pick up I-10 in Baton Rouge. And if you see any roadside strawberry stands stop, you won't be sorry.

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth