Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 12:49 AM

7 posts, read 47,417 times

Advertisements

Has anyone come across homeless people asking for money to purchase a bus or train ticket.

They all have been using the same tactic which goes like, "How are you doing today sir? You know I am trying to buy a ticket to get home could you spare a dollar?"

Two homeless people asked me this tonight when walking from the Flying Saucer Beer Emporium. I drank iced tea so no I was not drunk.

Last week while pumping gas a homeless person gave me the same story. I never give money.

But it is odd that every homeless person that has asked me for money while living in Downtown FW has basically the same scripted story. I find that very odd. Thoughts?

Last edited by rhettwp; 01-25-2010 at 12:50 AM.. Reason: cleanup typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 02:50 PM

165 posts, read 394,734 times
Homeless and other people experiencing a personal crisis will often turn to the generosity of strangers. While there are institutions and organizations like the Salvation Army and Union Gospel Mission to help local folks in dire need, these street entrepreneurs, because of substance abuse, legal, or mental problems, often refrain from utilizing these social services and prefer to direct their appeals for aid directly to the public. They do tend to share with each other what tactics work best for soliciting money, hence the same lines being used by different people. Another favorite tactic is for them to inform you their car has broken down or has run out of gas. The list of creative excuses is endless and I suppose one in a hundred or less might be true. In most cases, the main objective is to obtain enough money to buy some cheap wine, smokes, or drugs. The public is not helping these folks much by giving them money as it only encourages them to seek more using the same tactics.

Better to direct them to social service organizations or, if they are particularly aggressive, contact the Fort Worth police which will ask them to move on. The number of homeless or street people in Fort Worth varies from day to day as they tend to be highly transient. Sometimes, when they become too familiar in another location, (say Dallas) they will come over to Fort Worth to explore new opportunities. These "street entrepreneurs" are almost always male and unattached and for the majority, have lived this lifestyle for many years.

Almost every American city of any size has a homeless/street population and helping these folks to return to mainstream is a daunting challenge. The most difficult aspect is getting them to want to help themselves-so many are content to continue their unpredictable street lifestyles. Others have mental health issues which can be helped with medication whenever you can get them to take it. Regardless of whether you, me, or anyone else provides financial help, Homelessness will be one of the most difficult problems of American urban areas to resolve. Only in a case where actual temporary hardship can be proven (as in a homeless family with kids) would I be tempted to dig into my pockets.

Last edited by Vintrest; 01-25-2010 at 02:52 PM.. Reason: typo correction

Old 01-27-2010, 09:40 AM

7 posts, read 47,417 times
Vintrest,

Thank you for the thoughtful reply.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:22 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,474,655 times
just to get to the question about the similarity of multiple requests
they talk about what works
asking for help to buy a bus/train ticket is probably a good try for many reasons...

Old 01-28-2010, 03:23 PM

252 posts, read 720,844 times
They all share the same drug dealer and need a way to get there.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:03 PM

I don't assume that all homeless/street people are on drugs--some of them are I am sure--but not all

Old 01-28-2010, 06:32 PM

252 posts, read 720,844 times
That was a joke... wasn't trying to elicit a serious response.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:06 AM

1 posts, read 9,686 times
I will be on the street soon. I don't have the money to pay for a bus. Greyhound wants $200 for a one way trip for me to go home. Neither will I go bum people nor I ask random people for help. There is not a day labor anything in this town. Thus I will be standing on the side of the road hopping to get a ride from some one I have never met. That isn't safe but poor people can't send money they don't have.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:19 AM

hey--as long as you have access to computer and the Internet can't be that bad...

Old 06-04-2011, 12:26 PM

165 posts, read 394,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetppl View Post
I will be on the street soon. I don't have the money to pay for a bus. Greyhound wants $200 for a one way trip for me to go home. Neither will I go bum people nor I ask random people for help. There is not a day labor anything in this town. Thus I will be standing on the side of the road hopping to get a ride from some one I have never met. That isn't safe but poor people can't send money they don't have.

Since you apparently have Internet access you might search for "rideshares" on Craigslist or other similar venues. There used to be travel aid societies (are they still around?) and you can also check with some local faith based organizations to see if they would assist you with your travel expenses or better, provide you with some temporary work to earn your travel fare. I wish you the best in your efforts to get back home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth