U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 12:23 PM

16 posts, read 155,046 times

Advertisements

***I was suggested to post this here under Fortworth to get more replies. Please bear with me.***

I was looking at rental places near the University of Arlington where I will be working. But the crime-rate seems to be really high there. Spotcrime website lists lots of crime in Arlington ranging from theft, assault, burglary, armed robbery etc., especially around UTA. Just on 28th Feb'2013 there has been about 30 such crimes. Why such a high crime rate? I am not able to understand.

I wanted to live close to my work but now I have no clue whatsoever where to look for!

I am moving to Arlington and I need a safe place to live with my family, good school for kids (ages 2-8), kids play area/park, good neighborhood, good shops/grocery/mall etc. without worrying for crime. Most important is safe place with good schools. Crime seem to be much higher around UTA, especially east, north-east and south-east of UTA which was few of the places I was looking for. But after learning about the high crime-rate I would want to avoid these areas. What about west, north-west and south-west of UTA? Please suggest.

What is the price range of rent for 2 or 3 BR apartments/condos/townhouses/houses in the recommended areas? Can we get short-term leases? Any rental benefits for family earning below $40k or $45k? What all should I look for before/during renting/signing lease?

Should I look for rentals outside of Arlington, Texas? In this case, which area would be good? Will the commute be easy to UTA? I have no clue about the traffic or anything there.

Will it be good idea to buy a home immediately instead of wasting money on rent? I am talking about budget homes of about $100k. They do exist, right!? If buying, which areas should I look for that are family friendly with good schools? Are there any safe/gated communities?

What are the areas I should avoid living and passing-by? What are the precautions when visiting or passing through such areas? What are some of the issues people face in terms of safety?

I was reading there is no state tax in Texas. What about county tax? What will be tax bracket/% tax for families earnings, including Federal tax, below $40k or $45k?

Sorry lots of questions

Thank you all in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 12:32 PM

6,955 posts, read 20,730,080 times
I am an investor and always have a specific area in Arlington in my prospect zone. It is zip codes 76006 and 76017, only places that feed into MARTIN HIGH SCHOOL. That will keep you west of Cooper Street. This is southwest Arlington in the areas pretty near I-20. A good area for you to consider. Getting a place for about $100K in the Martin HS feeder neighborhoods is difficult but with some looking and willingness to do cosmetic work, attainable. There are some nice neighborhoods in North Arlington in zip code 76012 that feed into Butler elementary -- a great school -- but your budget will likely land you in the not so great parts of N.Arlington and the middle school there isn't nearly as good as the middle schools in S.W. Arlington. Mansfield is also not terribly far but property taxes are higher and I still prefer SW Arlington.

If you are considering other areas, look in Hurst and Euless. Good schools and good proximity to N.Arlington.

Sorry, I can't give any suggestions on apartments, and it really is a good idea to rent in a new area to help yourself get acquainted with your new city.

Have you looked at HUD homes? www.hudhomestore.com

Old 03-07-2013, 02:05 PM

664 posts, read 1,565,995 times
As mentioned above, parts of Hurst and Euless are really close to UTA. Also, part of Ft Worth that is in the HEB ISD is worth looking at. The best area in Arlington is the Martin High School area but unless you're really lucky you're priced out of that area.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:16 PM

Thank you so much to both Squirl and hal2814.
Are you saying Hurst and Euless are very safe areas? Are there buses and trains in that area? Will it be noisy because of air-port?

Will I get a 2 BR apt/condo/townhouse in ~$700-800 to rent? How about in 76012/ 76017 zips? May be better option for me is to rent first and then look for buying after knowing the area. Now I see that I have to increase my budget if I were to buy a townhouse or house.

Are there good K-5 schools? K-5 schools are main in terms of safety (safe neighborhood), good, attentive and caring teaching. If we have school, house, park/play area and grocery store all at walking distance around our house it will be great. This will help my wife take care of most of the things while I take the car to work. Does such a place exist in Arlington-Hurst-Euless area? OR Am I asking for too much? May be at least 3 of these will be close-by?!

so sorry! lots of questions again!

Old 03-07-2013, 04:02 PM

6,955 posts, read 20,730,080 times
Ben, sadly lacking for public transportation in the area. Hurst-Euless-Bedford has good schools. I don't know the area as well as Arlington but I do know the Bear Creek area in Euless is quite nice and has nice apartments and a lovely park/trail area, otherwise can't recommend other areas there.

North Arlington's best elementary is Butler. Butler Elementary School > Home There are apartments along Green Oaks near River Legacy Park that will satisfy your budget. It will be a bit of a hike to school, tho. In the SW section, the best for you would be the Overland Stage area. Great elementary, there's a nice park nearby and some strip shopping not far that is walkable. Tho, it gets sooooo hot in the summer...walking for shopped isn't very fun. I am attaching a link of a house for sale in the OS area just so you can get your bearings. This is one of my favorite areas for proximity to shopping and great schools in the area.

4912 Stage Line Dr Arlington TX - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #11908895 - Realtor.comĀ®

Last edited by Squirl; 03-07-2013 at 04:57 PM..

Old 03-08-2013, 06:14 AM

471 posts, read 743,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benhur101 View Post
Thank you so much to both Squirl and hal2814.
Are you saying Hurst and Euless are very safe areas? Are there buses and trains in that area? Will it be noisy because of air-port?

Will I get a 2 BR apt/condo/townhouse in ~$700-800 to rent? How about in 76012/ 76017 zips? May be better option for me is to rent first and then look for buying after knowing the area. Now I see that I have to increase my budget if I were to buy a townhouse or house.

Are there good K-5 schools? K-5 schools are main in terms of safety (safe neighborhood), good, attentive and caring teaching. If we have school, house, park/play area and grocery store all at walking distance around our house it will be great. This will help my wife take care of most of the things while I take the car to work. Does such a place exist in Arlington-Hurst-Euless area? OR Am I asking for too much? May be at least 3 of these will be close-by?!

so sorry! lots of questions again!
I was born and raised in Euless. Look at apartments in the Bear Creek/Ash Ln area. This is a low crime area, I never hear of anything. Villages of Bear Creek Park is right there with a dog park, paved trails, amphitheater, ect. Grocery stores not too far away and Lakewood Elementary is an excellent school. I actually started Kindergarten at Lakewood when it opened in the early 70's. I live in a house in that area. Would rather live there than anywhere in Arlington. Hwy 360 is right there so it doesn't take too long to pop down to UTA. There are also apartments on Ash Ln about 500 meters west of the school. Don't know much about them but they look okay.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:18 AM

471 posts, read 743,955 times
Also Euless Family Life center is a two minute drive away, you can google it it's pretty cool. They are also building a bigger public swimming pool there as we speak.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:50 PM

664 posts, read 1,565,995 times
When it comes to most DFW neighborhoods, even the "bad" ones are safe. They just have more property crime. Violent crime is low across that entire area you're looking at. I don't think you can afford the Bear Creek area on your stated budget, but it wouldn't hurt to look. I live near those parks and we go to them all the time.

As far as public transportation, there is no public option for commuting to UTA. Period. I know that sucks but that's Arlington for you. The only real public transportation in that area is the TRE rail line. It travels between Ft Worth and Dallas but travels north of Arlington and isn't really useful for anything but getting to one of the downtowns or the airport. The closest place you could live to UTA that has any sort of public transportation would be Irving. It has DART access. So you couldn't get to UTA but you could take the bus to places like grocery shopping or the library.

As far as living walking distance from parks, schools, and grocery, the first two are easy. There are parks all over the place and elementary schools are generally pretty close to the houses/apts they serve. Grocery may be harder.

Given that they are on average a poorer school district than some of their neighbors like Grapevine or Birdville, I don't think anyone in the area does more with less than HEB. Everyone I know who sends their kids to that school district is happy with it.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:53 PM

wow! thanks Squirl and snuffster. These information are really helpful. I can't believe I can get such useful information without being to the place. It will great if I could get more information

As per the information, Bear Creek area in Euless would be a suitable area for my expectations. While in Arlington, areas like the Overland Stage area/Southwest or Green Oaks could be decent options.

There are houses I see online listed for $100,000 in safer places of Arlington - SW/ SE, but may be not near good schools. Is that correct Squirl? I am assuming that the kids in these areas will take school buses? By the way, do schools at least have school buses there?!

Snuffster, is it possible to park cars in a nearby train station parking lot and take the train to venture into Dallas or FW area? Or is driving into Dallas and FW area a better option? Also how is the commute between Euless and Arlington by car during rush hours?

May be Squirl can help me understand about listing like the following which I found on the web-site you suggested,
http://www.hudhomestore.com; where I found a decent house at 1011 Cheddar Court,Arlington, TX, 76017, for $71,000. This is just one of many. I guess we need to bid for houses like these. Is there anyway we can buy something like this? Will it be worth it? I guess if bidding, then there will be so many people to buy these properties! Also, I think this is a "as it is" buy which makes me think that there must be serious problems with these houses!? What is the difference between this and bank-owned homes? Is there a way foreclosed homes can be bought without bidding? Please help me understand if it is possible.

It will be useful to know about some more safe areas where there are ~$700-800 2-3BR rental properties near good K-5 schools and grocery shops. Kids play areas, parks etc. will be great bonus.

Thanks once again for all the comments.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:03 PM

Thanks a lot Hal. Very useful.

Are there any other safe places where I can get decent 2-3BR rentals for ~$700-800? Also, please suggest other places if I were to spend about $900 +/- $100.

Yeah, it is really clear that no public transportation within Arlington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth