U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 12:16 PM

5 posts, read 11,443 times

Advertisements

Well, I know there are a ton of post regarding many people from this area heading to Texas. Myself and my fiance live in Bay City MI. I have a college degree and she is in college and has worked for the same company for 10 years, of which she is now the general manager.

I lived in Hillsboro TX, 60 miles south of Dallas, 30 miles north of Waco. Spent my Whole childhood in Texas up until my senior year of high school. I personally lived in multiple other states since then and have been contemplating which state to return to. Michigan is dead and only getting worse. Too many people fighting for jobs that already do not pay enough to survive off of. Low wages and honestly some of the most unfriendly people I have ever met live in Michigan.

Problem is; my fiance has never left the state of Michigan and its all she knows. She totally agrees that if we want to have a better life we have to leave this state. She has 3 sisters, both younger, one in college, one married with a few children. The hardest part for her would be the fact that she would be 20 hours away by car.

I keep telling her the hardest adjustment for her will be all the people waving and saying hi even though they are a stranger lol.

She loves country music already, loves the heat, and absolutely loves the idea of being able to start a family. Starting a Family in Michigan is a bad bad idea unless you are protected deep within the bowels of one of the few still breathing corporations here.

We are to get married within the year. My Plan is to go alone for a few months, get a cheap cheap place to rent for myself, work a few months, fly home, get married, pack up what we don't sell in the yard sale, hit the road to our life together.

I know she will love it, and Im sure she would love to hear some positives (and negatives) about the great state of Texas. My brother is actually a Native Texan, lucky bastard was born there.

So please feel free to express your love for Texas, or your anger if need be.

Help me speed up this process!! I want to get rolling soon!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 02:10 PM

167 posts, read 291,674 times
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

While I never grew up in Texas, I have always had some family in the DFW area (Grapevine), and have fond memories of many summers spent here. I have always loved it.

I grew up in Montgomery, AL which is not one of the glimmering jewels of the US.

My wife was born and raised in the Montgomery area, and 100% of her family is within 50 miles of Montgomery. My wife never considered moving out of the area.

Work began to dry up, and we started looking at other cities. I was able to land a nice job in Fort Worth, and we haven't looked back since.

She is certainly home sick at times, so prepare for some emotional ups and downs at first. It will be a huge quality of life upgrade, and a great way to kick off a new life!

Old 03-13-2013, 07:49 AM

26 posts, read 66,898 times
I was born and raised in Ohio. After the Blizzard of '78 I decided Ohio and I were getting a divorce. I met Texas in '86 and it was love at first sight. Now I wear shorts year round and only see snow every 10 years or so... :-)

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk 2

Old 03-18-2013, 02:20 PM

Low and behold, a few weeks later myself and 3 other supervisors get called in on our day off to be told we are being laid off June 1st. We are being laid off laid off because our Boss has not been meeting quota when it comes to hours and overtime. They already took all of our benefits, vacation and sick days away, I guess the next step was to just up and take our jobs.

Do you think our "boss", the one who couldn't perform, is losing her job? Nope. Instead she is laying us off and making those that make minimum wage pick up the slack. Its already caused a backlash but she doesn't know it yet due to her leaving for vacation in Hawaii the same day we got pink slips.

Michigan can kiss my ass. The earlier we can leave this cancerous state, the better. We were hoping on sticking it out a few more months and saving some more money, but, Michigan doesn't want you to succeed, they want you on welfare and to be easily controlled.

Maybe its just because im not from Michigan to begin with, but I have lived in numerous other states in the south and on the east coast and no other state I have visited was as crooked and union controlled as Michigan.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:50 PM

1,595 posts, read 1,704,988 times
Good Riddens, and don't come back!

Old 07-29-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
Good Riddens, and don't come back!
I think you meant to say Good Riddance, not Riddens, whatever that means.

Don't worry, we don't intend to return to this state for anything other than family. This attitude is exactly why Michigan is doomed and you're not helping Michigan's rep with your comment.

On the other hand we have decided to make the leap and move on to better opportunities in the great land of Texas. Hopefully, if all goes according to plan, by spring we will moving on with our life together in a state that appreciates hard work, dedication and family among many other great aspects of Texas.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:04 AM

165 posts, read 357,755 times
Although jobs are likely to be more plentiful in Texas than in Michigan they still do not grow on trees here. Like in most places, extreme youth (lack of experience) and those workers over 55 will have more trouble finding jobs. You may become nostalgic for those milder Michigan summers once you've become re-acquainted with our infernal summers. (this year has been decidedly on the mild side even though the coming days promise triple digit heat around DFW) A college degree is not what it used to be in the job market but if you have a degree in a higher demand field (technology, medical, energy,) you'll have a better chance at finding a job than for someone with a generic liberal arts degree. You seem to paint Texas uniformly with a fairly broad brush, but since you've lived here you surely know our huge state has substantial diversity in climates, culture, major cities with major traffic headaches as well as sleepy small rural communities without a stop light. Figure out what you are looking for, (with an acceptable job probably being at the top of the list) and once you've secured that, finding a suitable place to live would be your next priority. Jobs are not plentiful even in the DFW area and don't be surprised if you have some competition for any degree required position you are seeking. Be flexible and realistic-you'll find that perhaps Texas isn't as wonderful as you might believe it is and Michigan, once you're been away for a while, probably isn't as bad as you thought it was. I've always tried to politely caution folks with the "grass is greener", high expectations attitudes that no place they will relocate to will be perfect. I also add that if anyone ever stumbles across THE perfect place to please keep it a secret because if they tell others some of them will come there to spoil it. Keeping an open mind and having realistic expectations will serve you well as you make the transition to Texas-persistence is the key to finding a job and, as mentioned, you'll have better chances if your work background is in a higher demand field. The chronology of your postings is a bit confusing...did you lose your Michigan job back in June of this year? If so, why wait until Spring of 2014. (?) September is a good relocation month as students head back to school and seasonal hiring for the holidays begins. Almost as important, our infernal summer heat begins to moderate and Fall in Texas is almost always mild and enjoyable. Good luck with your relocation plans.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:39 PM

293 posts, read 793,391 times
Interesting! I currently live in the Bay City area and grew up in Saginaw. I spent almost 10 years in Fort Worth and miss it desperately. As soon as my oldest graduates high school in 3 years, my plan is to go back there again. You're right that Michigan is dead and isn't going to come back. Ironically enough my best friend that I made in Texas is still my best friend and she grew up in Hillsboro.

Texas isn't perfect by any means but it's SO MUCH better than Michigan. If you can possibly do it, I totally would.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintrest View Post
Although jobs are likely to be more plentiful in Texas than in Michigan they still do not grow on trees here. Like in most places, extreme youth (lack of experience) and those workers over 55 will have more trouble finding jobs. You may become nostalgic for those milder Michigan summers once you've become re-acquainted with our infernal summers. (this year has been decidedly on the mild side even though the coming days promise triple digit heat around DFW) A college degree is not what it used to be in the job market but if you have a degree in a higher demand field (technology, medical, energy,) you'll have a better chance at finding a job than for someone with a generic liberal arts degree. You seem to paint Texas uniformly with a fairly broad brush, but since you've lived here you surely know our huge state has substantial diversity in climates, culture, major cities with major traffic headaches as well as sleepy small rural communities without a stop light. Figure out what you are looking for, (with an acceptable job probably being at the top of the list) and once you've secured that, finding a suitable place to live would be your next priority. Jobs are not plentiful even in the DFW area and don't be surprised if you have some competition for any degree required position you are seeking. Be flexible and realistic-you'll find that perhaps Texas isn't as wonderful as you might believe it is and Michigan, once you're been away for a while, probably isn't as bad as you thought it was. I've always tried to politely caution folks with the "grass is greener", high expectations attitudes that no place they will relocate to will be perfect. I also add that if anyone ever stumbles across THE perfect place to please keep it a secret because if they tell others some of them will come there to spoil it. Keeping an open mind and having realistic expectations will serve you well as you make the transition to Texas-persistence is the key to finding a job and, as mentioned, you'll have better chances if your work background is in a higher demand field. The chronology of your postings is a bit confusing...did you lose your Michigan job back in June of this year? If so, why wait until Spring of 2014. (?) September is a good relocation month as students head back to school and seasonal hiring for the holidays begins. Almost as important, our infernal summer heat begins to moderate and Fall in Texas is almost always mild and enjoyable. Good luck with your relocation plans.

Thanks for your input, its much appreciated. My fiance has never left Michigan her whole life, so it took some convincing to get her on board. She is all about it now lol. I already have a secure job lined up and a great one at that. I did paint Texas with a broad brush though. I have lived all over the U.S. and have missed Texas ever since I left.

I compare everywhere I've been to the great state of Texas and nowhere has stacked up. I had a few opportunities here in Michigan after I got laid off so we just got the ball rolling in case things didn't work out here and how to about our wedding that had to be cancelled due to being laid off. I will be on my way here within a month and she will be coming down about 3 months later. I was offered a job by the same person about a year and a half ago and at the time we were on top of the world and then the rug got pulled out from under us.

The both of us are beyond ready to settle down and start our life together, that just is not going to happen if we stay.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer74 View Post
Interesting! I currently live in the Bay City area and grew up in Saginaw. I spent almost 10 years in Fort Worth and miss it desperately. As soon as my oldest graduates high school in 3 years, my plan is to go back there again. You're right that Michigan is dead and isn't going to come back. Ironically enough my best friend that I made in Texas is still my best friend and she grew up in Hillsboro.

Texas isn't perfect by any means but it's SO MUCH better than Michigan. If you can possibly do it, I totally would.
What years were you in Texas? I was there from 1984 to 1999. Hillsboro the whole time for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth