Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2013, 07:35 PM

6 posts, read 9,221 times

Advertisements

Hi All!
So we're one of the many relocating to Fort Worth!! Got a job offer I can't pass up. We're moving in August from NY (Long Island) & are looking for the best place to live! Here are some facts:
- We have 2 small children so school is very very important.
- I will be working in Fort Worth, about 10 mi south of downtown right off of 35W. I'm hoping to keep my commute not more than 30 mins (w/ traffic) but we want to try to be accessible to Dallas as well so my husband can keep his work options open since he doesn't have a job yet.
- We're looking to buy a nice sized house and spend around $250k
- We want a place with a nice neighborhood feel, family focused
- Based on the research I've done so far, I'm thinking my first choice is Keller, but would love to hear I feedback!

Thanks!! I look forward to posting a lot !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 07:50 PM

440 posts, read 867,134 times
Dallas and Fort Worth are a bit apart for both to commute-esp when you factor in traffic and road works-Keller is nice depending where you decide to live. Search the forums for info about Keller and just be sure that you are actually buying/living in Keller and not FW as that has been a problem in the past where people thought they were buying in Keller and it was really fort Worth. Various opinions on here about Keller schools _I think everyone agrees that the elementary schools are stellar-not sure if they have any budget woes going on-they did there for a while but that may have been sorted by now. Alot of people relocating to North Texas so you will be not alone in that aspect-we have enjoyed moving and living in NT so far. Welcome!

Old 03-20-2013, 07:50 PM

540 posts, read 1,105,692 times
No...seriously...no. (At least, if you're like me and want to pry your eyes out with a spoon rather than sit in traffic.)

You really want to reconsider Keller if you are going to be working 10 miles SOUTH of downtown (Alcon?). I-35W-North is going to be torn up and under construction for years.

From the TxDOT page:
http://www.dot.state.tx.us/project_i...ss/default.htm
Quote:
Segment 3A is 6.5 miles of I-35W from north of I-30 to south of I-820
Segment 3B is 3.3 miles of I-35W from north of I-820 to US 81/287

Both segments are scheduled to begin construction as early as mid-2013. It is estimated that these segments will be completed in mid-2018.

Last edited by texas_nightowl; 03-20-2013 at 08:00 PM..

Old 03-20-2013, 08:17 PM

6 posts, read 9,221 times
Thank you very much!

Nightowl - yes, I will be working in the Alcon complex...Keller will be a tough commute? Do you have any other suggestions that will be easier?

Old 03-21-2013, 06:10 AM

26 posts, read 75,809 times
Burleson might be a good choice but it's not very convenient to Dallas. Cleburne might be an option since it's on US67 and a direct route to Dallas. But given your parameters My only suggestion would look at the Mansfield or Midlothian areas. Decent commute to Alcon and convenient to Dallas. Decent schools from what I here too.

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk 2

Old 03-21-2013, 06:56 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
I also agree that Mansfield will be a good option.

The commute from Keller would be horrible, and it's also not easily accessible to Dallas for your husband.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:02 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,757,816 times
Ditto to the above posts. If you haven't been here yet to visit, construction is all over in the DFW area and therefore makes traffic even worse. Come to think of it, I can't remember a time EVER since I have been alive that there hasn't been any construction. My mantra has always been, live close to where you work....if that is possible. Mansfield will probably be your best bet.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:40 AM

540 posts, read 1,105,692 times
Balancing convenience to Alcon and keeping your options open re: Dallas may be difficult. The Alcon part would be otherwise pretty easy.

Here are other threads about living reasonably close to Alcon.

//www.city-data.com/forum/fort-...ose-alcon.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/fort-...ear-alcon.html

And one specifically about Keller vs. Mansfield:
//www.city-data.com/forum/fort-...mansfield.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/fort-...ort-worth.html

Now, another possible option might be SouthWest Arlington...iirc from other posts, specifically the area that feeds into Martin High School. But you will have be watch the maps very closely. And I'm not exactly sure how the commute would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth