U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 08:03 PM

161 posts, read 179,343 times

Advertisements

Hi,

The last thread I found on this subject was several years old, so apologies if this has been asked and answered recently, and I somehow missed it.

Anyway. After getting all set to move into my newly leased FW apt. next month, I unexpectedly & badly hurt my right (driving) knee, need extensive surgery, & now know I will be housebound indefinitely pre- & post-surgery & then under doctors' orders to drive v. minimally indefinitely after that.

So, all of sudden I have a new need to have my groceries delivered to my door for a while. (My apt. will be at The Villas at LeBlanc Park near the inters. of Granbury & S. Hulen.)

I've already called the local Kroger's, which doesn't deliver, and the local Albertson's, where a nice manager said they would in my case -- but from the way he put it, it didn't sound so much like across-the-board Albertson's policy as the manager who answered the phone being considerate. I may be wrong about that -- does anybody know?

And/or, are there any Ft. Worth equivalents of Peapod or Fresh Direct, where you grocery-shop on their websites, and the groceries you select are delivered to your door for a small extra fee?

I did Google "Fort Worth" and "food delivery," but came up only with services that deliver restaurant orders. And, alas, aside from that being too expensive except for a special treat, I need to maintain a healthy low-calorie, low-sodium diet for hypertension control, so do need fresh produce and non-processed/"fast food" food to cook myself.

Thanks in advance for any help. ...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 10:54 AM

16,931 posts, read 2,167,328 times
Check with the local meals-on-wheels. They do cater to special needs.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:48 PM

10,537 posts, read 22,423,690 times
You might look at one of the home health services, like Visiting Angels or Comfort Keepers. They will also help you with household stuff, too. If you're really that bad, you will likely need help with personal care, too.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:16 PM

6,955 posts, read 20,732,447 times
I used to have Schwan's deliver milk and ice cream to my house in Dallas and I notice they have expanded their offerings.
Maybe they do FTW.

Order Groceries Online & Get Food Delivered | Schwan's® Home Delivery

Old 05-07-2013, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,010 times
Roy Pope's Grocery at 2300 Merrick St..... they deliver to your area of Fort Worth.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:26 PM

70 posts, read 100,183 times
I thought there were peapods around here???

Old 05-07-2013, 10:52 PM

32,542 posts, read 51,077,194 times
agree that you are going to need some home help if you will be driving restricted

find out what your insurance covers--
might be able to get someone from home health agency to do that and have insurance cover it

Old 05-08-2013, 01:59 AM

61 posts, read 147,865 times
Albertsons' tried the home delivery for awhile, but the demand wasn't there to merit investing in a fleet of refrigerated trucks. There are several churches in your area that have folks that will help on a weekly basis. Just visit and ask.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:20 AM

161 posts, read 179,343 times
Thanks for all the answers!

I will check that Roy Pope's, Lenora.

I'll also look into the meals specifically for the handicapped, though I am in the awkward position of not really neig handicapped, just lame. (I mean the orthopedic surgeons haven't & probably won't declare me handicapped; they are still fiddling. :/

If any more thoughts, do keep them coming. They are helpful!

Old 05-17-2013, 08:41 AM

6,955 posts, read 20,732,447 times
When I broke my ankle last year I paid a nursing student to stop in 3x a week to walk my dogs, and dog some errands. She was here about 2 hours each time for a couple of months. I bet you could find a similar student for about $20 a week to go and pick up groceries for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth