Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 11:55 PM

6 posts, read 44,260 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Texas, but can't quite narrow it down between Fort Worth and San Antonio. I am a stay at home mom and my husband sails the Atlantic Ocean on a ship that transports cars between US and Europe. Therefore commuting and job market is irrelevant to where we live. However, since my husband is gone 6+ months a year and we are about 1800 miles away from our closest relative, it is important that we move to a safe community, with plenty of things to keep our son (2yr) and I occupied while he is gone. We are basically looking for city convenience with a country feel. Your insight is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 05:49 PM

82 posts, read 614,474 times
Hmm your last sentence "city convenience with a country feel" well Fort Worth fits that bill. San Antonio is more of a tourist city. We originally planned on moving to San Antonio but wages for what I do pay higher here in Fort Worth. There's a Six Flags over Texas and Six Flags Hurricane Harbor in Arlington about 15-20 min drive east from downtown FTW, to the north there is a smaller water park NHR20. Downtown area feels really safe, lots of museums, food, and the Stockyards. I recommend checking out both cities before you make a decision.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:59 PM

791 posts, read 2,222,589 times
Think of it as Dallas/Fort Worth and north Texas or San Antonio/Austin and central Texas/Hill Country.

Both are going to have city conveniences and country feels, depending on what part of town you choose.

I would choose north of San Antonio, for a new adventure. Been to Dallas, done that.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:40 PM

686 posts, read 2,436,312 times
Fort Worth certainly has a more "country" feel than San Antonio ~ has a great downtown and anything you want is an easy drive. San Antonio is more touristy and is a larger city. Fort Worth has many things you can do, so finding something to do should not be a problem. There's a great zoo and museums and then the Six Flags parks in Arlington, just a short drive to the east. If you ever want to venture to a larger city, then Dallas is just 45 minutes away.

Old 11-02-2007, 03:27 PM

204 posts, read 940,486 times
I've lived in both and the only reason I could see someone picking SA over FTW would be the proximity to the coast and Hill Country. Other than that, FTW wins hands down.

Old 11-02-2007, 03:40 PM

781 posts, read 3,816,198 times
I think both cities are equal as far as modern conveniences but there is a difference in the weather.....there is more extreme weather in DFW....ice storms, tornados, etc. There is also a difference in terrain...the Hill Country is beautiful!!!!

Old 11-02-2007, 04:53 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,007,051 times
Yeah, I'd pick Ft. Worth, too. I like the DFW metroplex for all that it offers, plus convenience for travel. You can fly anywhere from DFW. It's a bigger job market, too.

And I happen to like a variety of weather. SA is too humid for my tastes.

Old 11-02-2007, 05:20 PM

29 posts, read 213,414 times
I'd pick Fort Worth, too. San Antone is too touristy, busy, and the downtown is pretty boring besides the riverwalk, which everyone brags about, but is really nothing but a ton of restaurants and bars (not fun with a 2 year old).

Fort Worth has tons to do with kids like a zoo that is great, parks, science museum, art museums...plus, I like how Fort Worth feels small, especially if you live near the zoo/downtown like we do. You rarely ever see the suburban sprawl like in San Antone.

I have to add the weather in San Ant in the summer is miserable!!!

Old 11-08-2007, 03:07 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,000,813 times
San Antonio for sure. Everyone here is saying how were touristy and to busy is a joke. Granted it is the most visited city in Texas by far but if you not downtown you'll rarely see it. The adult night life is better than Ft. Worth. For the kids there are many INTERACTIVE museums and the zoo is very nice. As for the weather Ft Worth is colder in the winter. Summer while the humidity might be two percent higher the average temperature is higher in Ft. Worth. As for country feel i did not know you could get anymore laid back and country like than San Antonio. But then again this a Ft Worth thread and they will praise there city. As if you start this on San Antonio's page they will sell theres you need to visit each so YOU can see for your self.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:53 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,288,574 times
Tarrent county has a number of tiny cities, the have a small town feeling. east tarrent county, and most of Dallas and some of Collin county do not have a small feeling at all. I've been to san Antonio but i can't tell you much about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth