Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 07:23 PM

27 posts, read 73,852 times

Advertisements

Quick question for the fort worth forum, seeking a little advice. I am currently debating between picking one of two different job opportunities. One is in fort worth and the other is in Austin. The fort worth job is a better opportunity, though the austin one is not bad. However, I'm 27 and single and was wondering, is Austin that much better of a singles town? I have a potential roommate off 7th in downtown fw, so location would be good. I'm also a pretty big live music guy, but not really country. Does fort worth offer any other live music options? Thanks for all the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 09:43 AM

211 posts, read 474,868 times
Congrats that you have two job offers. I live in Austin, but have spent a lot of time in Fort Worth. I would consider the job opportunities first, and pick based on which is best for you. You can't go wrong in either cities. But if it's quality of life that you want, Fort Worth hands down. Austin is largely hype. Austin relies heavily on a serious PR machine that trumps up image over substance. Fort Worth, with Dallas nearby, is an exponentially better place to live than Austin. This from an Austin resident...

Old 05-17-2013, 10:01 AM

156 posts, read 282,363 times
Fort Worth is what Austin was 20 years ago, don't get me wrong I love Austin and grew up there, but it is hard to live there now. So much more traffic and people then when I was an Austenite, I still go to Austin regularly to see the parents and it amazes me how much more crowded everything is, from the restaurants to the roads.

Fort Worth has a lot to offer, and I find it is much easier to navigate even with all the construction. Fort Worth is still discovering it's self which I find exciting, but Austin has the niche groups already if you are a person that is looking for that. But either city is a great place to live.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:42 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,684,189 times
Good advice up thread. I'll add to it based on my experiences living in both cities.

I prefer Austin, but I like them both. What I miss about Austin is the easy access to the outdoors. Town Lake, the Barton Creek Greenbelt, City Park and the many waterholes and spring fed rivers of the hill country are a huge asset for Austin and Fort Worth just doesn't have anything comparable if you are into running, hiking, mountain biking, floating rivers, swimming etc. The natural scenery and outdoor recreational opportunities around Austin, IMO, are much better than what you'll find in North TX.

Another thing I miss about Austin is that it feels less provincial than Fort Worth. There is a lot of hype and annoying phony types invading Austin lately, but there are also a lot of intelligent, well-travelled folks. Undoubtedly, UT brings in people from all over the world and it can be felt in the central parts of Austin. This is not to say that Fort Worth is wholly lacking here. In certain circles you can definitely find cosmopolitan and intelligent folks, but the overall population is less interesting to me.

You mention live music as an important criteria. Austin does go over board by branding itself the "live music capital of the world," which makes most locals gag, but the truth is that there is a LOT of good live music going on. Fort Worth, unfortunately, is often skipped by good touring acts who play in Dallas instead. It should be said that FW has a nice, emerging local music scene though.

Ultimately, you can't go wrong. They are both good cities and I agree that FW is somewhat like Austin 20 years ago. There is a nice sense of "it's getting better" here.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:58 PM

146 posts, read 507,508 times
I agree that you can't go wrong in either city. Austin is crowded but Austin is amazing. Ft worth I would have to disagree that it's still finding itself. Ft Worth is a western, country city but offers a lot. With Dallas nearby the area offers more then the Austin area for attractions, restaurants etc. But Austin is growing super fast & if im correct has a regional train to San Antonio just like Ft Worth has one to Dallas. Both cities are great. Ft Worth is easier to navigate but has it's confusing spots like every big city does

Old 05-18-2013, 12:39 PM

163 posts, read 907,345 times
Fort Worth has a bit of a reputation as a "cow town", but there is sooooo much more to it than that. It really is an emerging city with lots of great things to do for people of all interests. I agree with other posters that Fort Worth is like Austin of 20 years ago. And in my opinion, thats a very good thing compared to Austin circa 2013.

Ultimately, I'd come visit both cities before making a decision. Austin is about 3.5 hours from Fort Worth, so it's easy to live in Fort Worth, but make a road trip whenever you want to get your Austin fix.

Most touring bands play Dallas instead of Fort Worth, but Dallas is 30 minutes away, so no biggie. The local music scene in Fort Worth is growing and improving all the time, so we're well past the days where all the local acts are playing country. There are lots of great live music venues for all types of music in Fort Worth.

As far as which city is better for singles, I'd say they're both very good. I've heard Austin can be a bit of a sausage-fest when it comes to the post-college (25-35) demographic, with Fort Worth having more single ladies. But not really sure how true that is...

Old 05-18-2013, 03:14 PM

998 posts, read 1,317,518 times
Standing alone, I'd choose Austin over Ft. Worth by a long shot for a single person in their 20s. But when you add in the fact that Dallas is nearby then Ft. worth isn't so bad.

Old 05-19-2013, 11:49 AM

143 posts, read 318,878 times
Winner!

Is it me or does the cost of living more in Austin than Fort Worth?

It really depends on who you are, if you told us more about yourself, we could be more helpful. Other hobbies and interests.

There's more to do than just listening to live music in both areas. I mean I like listening to live music too. Plenty of stuff to do in both places.

I would pick Austin because of it's central location, for someone who might want to explore Texas. Close to San Marcos and San Antonio. Hop on Hwy 290, under 3 hours and you'll be in the Houston area. Head North for about 3 hours and you're in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Or for a few hours South you could be in Corpus Christi.

You'll be fine in either location I think. I still love Fort Worth but I love Austin too.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:29 AM

70 posts, read 111,030 times
I just moved to Fort Worth from NYC and after visiting Austin, I can tell you that Austin is the only way to go. It depends on where you're coming from. But in Austin, you can actually walk around and the schools in Austin are better. Fort Worth is super family oriented and people here are weird and closed minded...also very conservative. Go to Austin.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:53 AM

27 posts, read 73,852 times
Thanks for the response guys. Besides live music, i am a big sports player (basketball and tennis, golf, etc.) also a big pro sports guy, going to games. So i would say DFW has a big edge there. Quick question, are their any artist theaters in Fort Worth or are they only in Dallas? I am a big independent movie fan as well. Ive also heard a lot about West 7th and Magnolia ave... are these the two main nightlife spots in Fort Worth?

Once again thanks for all the help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth