Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 06:24 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times

Advertisements

There is about to be a major construction project on I35W: I-35W Corridor Project Once it is finished, that commute won't be so bad, but in the meantime, I cannot recommend that route.

North Main and 157 both have a ton of stop lights and school zones. Ugh. My commute down 121 from Grapevine to downtown only takes 30 minutes (unless there's a wreck or rain), and at least I'm going 65 mph most of the time!

Last edited by ChristieP; 06-02-2013 at 06:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 08:26 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,325,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
There is about to be a major construction project on I35W: I-35W Corridor Project Once it is finished, that commute won't be so bad, but in the meantime, I cannot recommend that route.

North Main and 157 both have a ton of stop lights and school zones. Ugh. My commute down 121 from Grapevine to downtown only takes 30 minutes (unless there's a wreck or rain), and at least I'm going 65 mph most of the time!
So that would cross Keller and Trophy Club off the list? I could still look at Southlake and Hurst though, right?

Old 06-02-2013, 08:48 PM

7 posts, read 14,276 times
Northwest ISD (Haslet, etc.) is a good option. Keller ISD is just ok (unless your house feeds Keller HS) and FWISD is out of the question in my opinion (I'm a certified teacher & principal). We live in Lakeside (which is a painless commute to downtown) but it's in Azle ISD. Happy so far with Azle ISD but my kids are still young.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
So that would cross Keller and Trophy Club off the list? I could still look at Southlake and Hurst though, right?
Southlake to downtown Fort Worth is a horrible commute now, and the construction will only make it worse.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:49 PM

7 posts, read 14,276 times
If you could get into Southlake Carroll schools, DO IT by all means!

Old 06-02-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Southlake to downtown Fort Worth is a horrible commute now, and the construction will only make it worse.
What do you consider "horrible"? I'm moving from Houston and am accustomed to ~45 minutes each way.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyInTX View Post
Northwest ISD (Haslet, etc.) is a good option. Keller ISD is just ok (unless your house feeds Keller HS) and FWISD is out of the question in my opinion (I'm a certified teacher & principal). We live in Lakeside (which is a painless commute to downtown) but it's in Azle ISD. Happy so far with Azle ISD but my kids are still young.
Does this include Tanglewood? Looks to have good reviews, but would love to hear another opinion.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
What do you consider "horrible"? I'm moving from Houston and am accustomed to ~45 minutes each way.
Yes, at least 45 minutes each way unless you can work off-hours. There's no reason to make that kind of commute when there are plenty of nice places that are closer. But the bigger issue with Southlake is your budget. You really need at least $400k for entry level there. Even your max of $275 will not buy anything other than a major fixer-upper, if that.

You can do Grapevine, Bedford, Euless, and Hurst easily with that budget. You will still need a good realtor who knows the area, and you must be able to go look at houses the day they list. My friend in Euless sold her house in that price range in 3 days, and my friend in Keller sold hers in 48 hours with multiple offers.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:44 AM

156 posts, read 283,816 times
Tanglewood Elm is great as is Lilly B Clayton Elm, your budget might be a problem though. It just depends if you would be open to a town home or not. You might also be able to rent in the Tanglewood/Clayton feeder areas. The Lily B Clayton feeder area might have some homes in your budget, just keep in mind that the area in general is older but highly desired. Many people knock FWISD, but our son goes to Tanglewood and it has been a very good experience. They did a full Kindergarden play production, have an Arts Festival and for a fee offer a bunch of afterschool courses, like guitar lessons and lacross. Plus we like being near all the things Fort Worth has to offer and the area is lovely.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTWRunner View Post
Tanglewood Elm is great as is Lilly B Clayton Elm, your budget might be a problem though. It just depends if you would be open to a town home or not. You might also be able to rent in the Tanglewood/Clayton feeder areas. The Lily B Clayton feeder area might have some homes in your budget, just keep in mind that the area in general is older but highly desired. Many people knock FWISD, but our son goes to Tanglewood and it has been a very good experience. They did a full Kindergarden play production, have an Arts Festival and for a fee offer a bunch of afterschool courses, like guitar lessons and lacross. Plus we like being near all the things Fort Worth has to offer and the area is lovely.
Thanks for the info. Our budget is flexible, so we might be able to make something in those areas work, but it sounds like there are plenty of good options around ~$200k if you're willing to settle for a 30 minute commute.

I'd like to get out and start looking around, but it sounds like unless we're ready to buy there won't be much to gain other than a general feel for the layout of the land. Maybe in the next week or two (only have two months til I start my new assignment!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth