U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2013, 09:07 AM

1,575 posts, read 2,907,902 times

Advertisements

I thought it'd be helpful to have a general list of some of the commute times in one spot to help us new comers figure out where to live! With all the construction and growth going on in the city old data doesn't seem to be that relevant anymore.

Can someone help with general morning / evening commute times to downtown from the following places? Has consruction on the 35 already started?

Aledo
Mansville
Keller
Southlake
North Richland Hills
Burleson
Grapevine
Colleyville
Hurst
Arlington
Haslet

I keep hearing people say "Oh, from X to X is awful, you don't want to do that", then find out that by "awful" they mean 30 minutes, which sounds WONDERFUL to me! Thanks for any help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 10:58 AM

138 posts, read 333,781 times
Once I did jury duty & drove 287 from Mansfield to downtown Ft. Worth and it took me 30 minutes total! Easy. Hope this helps!

Old 06-19-2013, 12:23 PM

327 posts, read 689,009 times
35W north of downtown has the worst traffic congestion in the state, according to a TxDOT report, so anything that way will either involve that or a drive down a parallel street.

I can't tell you normal travel times, but I'd suggest you look south instead of north. I-20 and South Freeway have their slowdowns, but those are relatively minor. Traffic on 20 is often worse in Arlington. 287 is usually pretty easy. I don't have much experience on 30 and Airport Freeway, but I do know that the northeast end of Airport Freeway is a real pain.

There are other things to consider, but the commute is a big one many people overlook. Try to find what you're looking for on the south side: Mansfield, Burleson, Benbrook, Aledo.

Also, play with the Traffic tool on Google Maps. More than which color is used, look at how the color in one area compares with the color in a different area.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:31 PM

10,536 posts, read 22,419,543 times
Grapevine to downtown Fort Worth is usually about 40 minutes each way. The occasional wreck, rain, etc can make it longer. As the construction project on 183 progresses, it will move even faster. This drive really goes against traffic, and the only major slowdown is the 121/820 interchange by NorthEast Mall. I make this drive every day, and I say all the time that when the light rail line opens from Grapevine to downtown (projected 2016), I will be the first one on that train!

Just a hint: don't say "the" before the number of the highway. That's a sure sign that you're not a local, or, even worse, that you're a Californian!

Old 06-19-2013, 01:41 PM

3,087 posts, read 6,969,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
I thought it'd be helpful to have a general list of some of the commute times in one spot to help us new comers figure out where to live! With all the construction and growth going on in the city old data doesn't seem to be that relevant anymore.

Can someone help with general morning / evening commute times to downtown from the following places? Has consruction on the 35 already started?

Aledo
Mansville
Keller
Southlake
North Richland Hills
Burleson
Grapevine
Colleyville
Hurst
Arlington
Haslet

I keep hearing people say "Oh, from X to X is awful, you don't want to do that", then find out that by "awful" they mean 30 minutes, which sounds WONDERFUL to me! Thanks for any help!
Depending on what part of NRH, Keller and Hurst you are talking about.....you can get to downtown anywhere from 15-40 mins. It also depends on which route you take.

If you are going from, Rufe Snow/820 and take 820 W to 35 to Belknap it's going to take probably 30 mins.
If you are going from Rufe Snow/820 and take 820 E then S to 121 to 35 or Belknap you can cut it down to maybe 20 mins.

If you are coming from far north NRH or further north Keller, add on at 10-20 minutes. From west Hurst would be closer to 15-20 mins, but far east Hurst could easily be 30 and if you get on 183 push closer to 40 at times.

That's all dependent on whether there is an accident or not too....

Old 06-19-2013, 03:11 PM

537 posts, read 970,983 times
Quote:

Aledo

With Aledo, it depends on "where" in Aledo area you are. If you mean from Aledo "proper" then 30-35 minutes. We're 5-7 minutes west of the railroad crossing...ie. Aledo "proper" and it takes about 35 minutes to get to the west side of downtown (at University/West 7th). But for example, if you mean Aledo where it's closer to 377 but still Aledo ISD, then your commute would be completely different.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:26 PM

6 posts, read 9,709 times
From Keller to downtown really depends on the time of day and how lucky you are. During rush hour, going down 35W can take as much as an hour especially with the construction. During off peak times it usually takes 20 minutes as long as there isn't a wreck but sometimes traffic just stops for no apparent reason at all hours of the day. I've been stuck in between downtown Fort Worth and Keller at 3am and waited an hour to get home because a lane was shut down for seemingly no reason. From my office in Colleyville it takes 20-25 minutes because I can take 26 all the way down and then take one of many streets running north-south to get to downtown.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:24 PM

10,536 posts, read 22,419,543 times
I35W is about to begin a total reconstruction from I30 to just north of 820. The project will last 5 years. NO WAY would I move to an area where I would have to use this highway as my daily commute during that project!!
I-35W Corridor Project

Old 06-20-2013, 09:24 AM

641 posts, read 901,310 times
You realize the original poster isn't asking for advice on where to live, right?

I drive from north Bedford very near where it borders Hurst and Colleyville to just west of downtown. My commute both directions is 25-35 minutes depending on whether or not there's some sort of slowdown for a wreck or somesuch. I'm against traffic both ways for the most part. The lane and service road closures in Hurst have made the drive home challenging, but it's gotten easier as people have become more used to them.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:41 AM

664 posts, read 1,565,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbb303 View Post
You realize the original poster isn't asking for advice on where to live, right?
You're absolutely right... except for the part where the original poster asked for advice on where to live:

Quote:
I thought it'd be helpful to have a general list of some of the commute times in one spot to help us new comers figure out where to live!
My familiarity is with the commute from Euless to Ft Worth but even that is pretty skewed depending on where exactly you are in Euless and where exactly you're headed to in downtown Ft Worth. I live right on the Euless/Grapevine border and it takes me about 30-35 minutes to get downtown. Someone could be living in the city of Grapevine and have the same commute if they lived across the street from me. But other areas of Grapevine would be very different. A coach on my son's baseball team last spring had to drive straight after work from downtown Ft Worth to Oak Grove Park in far north Grapevine to make practice. It took him an hour pretty consistently. That's double the commute for the same city.

I like the idea of a list like this but I don't think it's going to work because there is so much variation in commutes that city-to-city travel times aren't sufficient. The best we can really do is be specific on commute times when people ask and we have experience with that commute. In fact, I suspect a lot of the people being unspecific about commute times don't really know. They just think it seems like a bad commute. And they may be right but a lot of the time they're not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth