Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 10:16 AM

5,412 posts, read 15,921,648 times

Advertisements

I'm scheduled to attend a week-long training class later next month in Dallas (Zip code 75251, which is just south of Richardson and Addison). From the Lake Worth/Saginaw area, what is the easiest way to get there, given the heavy eastbound morning traffic? Class starts at 9 a.m. sharp everyday.

On-line maps says it's about a 45 mi. drive that takes 53 min. But they're not taking traffic into account. If you know of back roads to get me there in a decent time, please let me know! I assume returning home to northwest FW would simply be the opposite route. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 12:01 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
I don't usually drive that direction in the morning but from living in the Mid-Cities area and knowing something about roads/freeways from past 20 years--
the jucture between 820 E and 121 merge into 183 is probably one of the worst streaches of freeway in this part of TX---going east or west--I would suggest yu do anything but take that route using 820 E---I hear on the news about truck jacknifes and traffic accidents a lot...see if there is way to get onto a surface street like Mid Cities or Glenview/Pipeline that runs parallel to 183 and avoid that merge...Mid Cities turns into a couple of other streets moving east but it moves pretty quickly--goes through the Airport w/o a toll--and merges with the Bush Turnpike to go N on ...just depends on where your seminar is held...

someone I know who lives in Bedford just off Harwood and Martin Dr goes into a new job in Farmers Branch/Addison area by getting on 183 E bound and taking George Bush turnpike N ---that is what I would recommend for you if you do take the 183--then stay on the Bush until E Beltline maybe and then use it instead of getting off on 635 and going n on 75--coming home for him has more traffic hassle than going--guess because of when he leaves--you might try the surface roads on the way back

because I am a worry wort, I would leave the first day at 730 am and just see how traffic is--if you get there early you can always wait in your car and read the paper or go by Starbucks and get some coffee...better to be a little early and less stress is my way...

I might even suggest driving it on Saturday when there would be traffic to just make sure you feel comfortable with the drive ... I hate to go to someting like that where if you show up late it makes you seem really stupid...you feel like it is a black mark on your CV almost...

Old 09-19-2007, 12:41 PM

That's great info., l2r. Thanks! I'll check out those back roads you mentioned. Yes, the top of Loop 820 is horrible. I can't believe they only made it 2 lanes wide. At least the west part of it (which I commute daily) is 3-4 lanes wide.

Old 09-19-2007, 01:00 PM
pfw

186 posts, read 849,053 times
You could also go north on 35w to 170 and hook up to 114 going east. From 114 you then go 635 and take that to your destination or exit at George Bush/190 and go that route. On the east bound side of 635 through Grapevine/Irving prior to 35E the traffic isn't too bad.

BTW...do you have a tolltag? If not make sure you've got quarters if you take 190.

Old 09-19-2007, 03:26 PM

Thanks for the input, pfw. Wouldn't I-35W have traffic in the morning, or is it mostly southbound in the morning? I could go to that Boswell Rd. near me (whatever it's exact name is) and cut across straight to Rt. 287 then Rt. 35W and do what you said.

I don't have a tolltag, so yes, I'll have to take plenty of quarters with me.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:03 PM
pfw

186 posts, read 849,053 times
Most of the traffic on 35w will be going southbound so you shouldn't have too many issues. You will get slow moving traffic on 114 in the Grapevine area but again it shouldn't be too bad.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfw View Post
Most of the traffic on 35w will be going southbound so you shouldn't have too many issues. You will get slow moving traffic on 114 in the Grapevine area but again it shouldn't be too bad.
That's a good option. But it seems odd to go so far north only to come back down southeast. I wonder how much of a time savings it would amount to. I'm not doubting your suggestion, just trying to rationalize it. My only experience going to Dallas is driving on I-30 E. at night to go clubbing or on a weekend during the day. Therefore, I didn't have to deal with traffic during those hours.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:32 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
I had to drive my son to dr's appt early last week when he was ill--had to get on the 114 going through Grapevine and 121 into Lewisville---he lives just N of Vista Ridge Mall now---going through the 114/121/635 interchange was stop and go with people driving aggressively--I hate that kind of traffic--I had left early because I did not know how long it might take in heavy traffic---getting through the 114/121/635 juncture was bad--I was afraid that I might be late--but once I WAS through and N of Grapevine Mills Mall it went quickly---121 N was fast and I really got to his apt. earlier than I needed to...

going the 35N to 114 might work but 114/635 is crowded and I think 635 could still be crowded and slow even though it has 3-4 lanes...

I think your best bet would be to take the Western Center/Mid-Cities east and once you are past the juggernaut of 820/183 get on 183E to Bush and go north...
the easiest surface streets to use would probably be go S on Davis to Harwood --go LEFT or EAST--Harwood is a 2-3 lane divided rd with maybe one school zone after 730 AM--
go east on Harwood until Norwood--go S on Norwood about quarter mile to 183 and get on 183 East--get into the left lane as quickly as you can (the 114 interchange access at Central comes up pretty quickly and the right 2 lanes are always clogged with incoming/outgoing traffic for that)...

IF you did not want to go as far north on 35 as 114--you could try 1709 (Golden Triangle/Price /Southlake Blvd) into the 114 interchange but that is really crowded in the morning--better off using 1709 and then going N on Kimble or Central by Southlake Town Center to merge into 114 --
Did you know that you can follow the George Bush all the way on access roads and not pay any tolls (you do have the lights/cross streets to go through though which slow you down)...

It is possible to drive from Saginaw (Baily Boswell area) to area you want to go ENTIRELY on 3-4 lane surface roads for the most part---I think that is kind of amazing when you consider how many towns you travel through but there is pretty good surface network (better than some of the freeway interchanges that's for sure)...but I know the lights would probably make it slower than using at least some part of freeway traffic---

I think the 183--George Bush is your best bet---but definitely would like to know which route you take and how it goes...so give us some feed back...

Old 09-20-2007, 08:11 AM

Thanks again, l2r. That's great info. Since I have to be there everyday at 9 a.m., I figure my 1st day, I'll leave at 7:30 to give myself plenty of time.

I see the Western Center Blvd., which turns into Mid-Cities that you mentioned. I guess I'll take that east and then eventually join Rt. 183 after I pass Loop 820 as you mentioned. I took a screen capture of the map of the area (see below). I'll definitely provide feedback - thanks again for everyone's help!

Old 09-20-2007, 08:15 AM

Below is a zoomed out version of the above map.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth