U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2013, 03:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,008 times

Advertisements

Hi all. Long time lurker to this forum and have appreciated the good information, so I am finally going to post. I'll aplolgize in advance for my long post, but sometimes some background is helpful. My husband has been working in downtown Ft.W since June following a job transfer. My 10 yr. old dtr. (going into 5th grade) and I will be moving to the area from northern NV in a couple of weeks. My hubby was born in Denton, I grew up in west TX., but we've lived in Northern Nevada for the past 25 yrs. Now I guess you could say we're coming "home" at least for a couple of years.

Anyway, we have searched all over for housing/ good school options since his transfer notice in March came about which have included the towns of Keller, Southlake, Colleyville, Grapevine, Bedford, and 76109 (Ft. Worth)---all ad nauseum, honestly. Housing in this area is crazy, and we seemed to pick the craziest time of all, beginning our search in late March. What a ride! We are not selling our home in NV as we have 2 college aged boys and many dear friends there and we may eventually return- not to mention we are just now seeing the housing market in northern NV start to regroup so we're hoping to see that come back a little over the next couple of years.

Consequently, we have ultimately opted to purchase a smaller home in the 76109 zip code to alleviate the incredible traffic and make life somewhat enjoyable. We've become accustomed to a more laid back environment since our time away from the Metroplex and wow what a difference 25 yrs. makes! The freeway construction is crazy so we've headed the advice of many on this forum and have chosen an older, little home which will allow for a simpler commute and hopefully, simpler quality of life as well.

Now for my question. My daughter will be attending Westcliff Elementary. We have spoken with folks at the school, been there on one occasion, appreciate the diversity, and have no problem that it's "not" Tanglewood which I know seems to be the coveted elementary. I'm just curious if any others on the board have any thoughts on the Westcliff area/school in general or McClean Middle School. I have been through the middle school years with my older ones and now how "difficult" that age generally is, so I was just hoping for some general input. We're not opposed to private/parochial schools. We've done it all over the years as far as schools go, but prefer to support public education if possible.

Thanks in advance. We really are looking forward to reconnecting with our Texas roots. This really is an incredible forum and great source of info.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 11:27 AM

14 posts, read 24,169 times
I work in Downtown Fort Worth and when we were looking for a new house about a year & a half ago, we looked long and hard in the Westcliff area because of the schools and proximity to downtown. We do not have any personal experience with Westcliff Elementary, but reviews on it I saw were pretty good (as you say, it isn't Tanglewood. LOL!). As for McLean, my wife went there when she was in middle school, but that was in the mid 70's (we hear it's still a fine school and I know many kids at our church attend McLean and I've heard no complaints from any of their parents). And of course, Westcliff and Westcliff West feeds into Paschal High School (again where my wife went). Paschal seems to be one of the Ft. Worth public high schools that everyone wishes their kids to be in. In the end, we found both Westcliff and (especially) Westcliff West to be hopelessly beyond our price range so we 'bit the bullet' and turned our search out to the suburbs.

Also, many of the people with children who live in the Westcliff West area are a bit on the wealthy side and tend to send their kids to either Trinity Valley School or Country Day School (both are highly respected private schools in Fort Worth). So, if you have the money, those two schools might be worth looking into as well (my wife spent a couple of years at Country Day when she was in elementary school).

Also, if you do look in Westcliff West, be sure to verify the schools on every property you look at. Some homes for sale in the Westcliff West area will say on the real estate data sheets that the address feeds into Tanglewood Elementary when in fact they do not. Just a word of caution.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by spielboogie; 07-17-2013 at 11:32 AM.. Reason: Adding info
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth