Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2013, 03:16 PM

40 posts, read 73,106 times

Advertisements

We are relocating in the next few months and I am an RN. Where is the best hospitals to work around Ft. Worth? Also what's the nursing market like right now? As in is it hard to get a job right now due to oversaturation of nurses or is there a huge need for nurses right now? Just want to get a feel for how the market is currently since I'm not there physically to check it out yet. Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 03:23 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
What is your specialty? How many years of experience do you have?

No, it is not hard to get a RN job in Fort Worth. There are still more open nursing jobs than there are nurses to fill them. Some specialties are more sought-after than others, and ease of getting a job depends on that and how much experience you have.

Most of the hospitals in Fort Worth are in the "hospital district" just south of downtown. There are also a few in outlying suburbs, too. There is also a huge need for RNs at nursing homes, too.

DFW's Best Places to Work list has several hospitals: Dallas-Fort Worth Business News - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News - The Dallas Morning News

Old 07-11-2013, 05:40 PM

I have been working for a year on a med surg floor that specializes in neurology. Lots of strokes, brain injuries, brain bleeds, etc. What I would like to do is NICU. I worked in one for 4 1/2 years before and during nursing school. When I graduated there was a hiring freeze so I could not be hired. I would be happy with any sort of pediatrics though. I have heard great things about Cook's but not sure on the other one's.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:17 AM

611 posts, read 2,234,800 times
I realize this is going to sound like a really crazy and maybe even an "out there" idea.....but in a place like Fort Worth one really needs to actually figure out where they are going to actually be working before they go through the process of finding the perfect home with a 1/2 acre lot and the perfect school district only to find out that the place where they can find a job to afford to pay for all of that is a 1.5 hour drive each way every day for work because that type of commute is expensive and hard on family life

Crowley, Texas where your boyfriend lives

//www.city-data.com/forum/fort-...owley-isd.html

is only 15 miles from Fort Worth, but that can be a long 15 miles in driving time for a commute each day to downtown Fort Worth

maybe your husband

//www.city-data.com/forum/houst...live-good.html

realizes that and he would rather live somewhere closer to where you are sure you are going to find a job (or maybe he just does not want to move in with your boyfriend), but there are also not a lot petro chemical plant jobs in Fort Worth as well which means your husband might have to look at some other area of work for his job and perhaps that will mean that Crowley with your boyfriend or some of the places that you might have your heart set on from people listing off places on this forum to consider might not work as well

it is nice that your husband is considering the Fort Worth area so that you can be closer to your boyfriend, but fewer chemical plants is going to lessen his chances of employment in that field and since you are flexible as a nurse you might want to find where your husband will be working first and then pick where to live and then you can look for nursing work near to there

I bet if you ask nicely your boyfriend in Crowley would probably let all 5 of you stay at his place until employment is all squared away, but that would possibly involve a change in school districts for the three kids as well

Old 07-12-2013, 07:14 AM

TexasVines,
Thanks for your concern but let me explain. My boyfriend/husband is the same person. I call him my husband or boyfriend because we've been together for 10 years and we have 2 kids together so basically he's my husband even though we've never gotten married. Might as well be after that long. Either one goes at this point. 2nd of all, he was down there on a job that we thought was going to be more permanent but didn't work out that way. So he was staying down there and we were going to relocate down to the Crowley area with him but found out the schools were terrible. Once we found out the job wasn't going to work out, we had considered moving to Houston because of the chemical plant work possibility, but after some investigation and lengthy discussion we have decided that Houston isn't where we wanna raise our kids and he's been out of the chemical plant industry since 2002. We lived in Ft. Worth before so we decided that would be a good place with lots of jobs and our children loved it too. I am aware of how big Ft. Worth is and the commute times. We probably won't both have jobs lined up first but are certainly going to try. Once again, thanks for your concern!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth