U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 04:49 PM

17 posts, read 85,899 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of relocating to Dallas-Fort Worth area, I would actually be working in Fort Worth, in the hospital district. I have a 3 year old, a 7 year old and a 9 year old. I'm willing to commute as far as 30 minutes, would like to buy a home below $300,000 or rent for around $1700. What are the best suburbs of Fort-Worth that meet these criteria, a good place to raise family and with the best public schools? Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 08:59 AM

1,575 posts, read 2,908,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bredyb View Post
I'm thinking of relocating to Dallas-Fort Worth area, I would actually be working in Fort Worth, in the hospital district. I have a 3 year old, a 7 year old and a 9 year old. I'm willing to commute as far as 30 minutes, would like to buy a home below $300,000 or rent for around $1700. What are the best suburbs of Fort-Worth that meet these criteria, a good place to raise family and with the best public schools? Thanks

Others know much more than I, but it's going to depend on what's important to you. Do you value a smaller town feel with more open spaces, do you want activities and shopping to be near by, do you want a newer / big house, or are you okay with old build, etc.

People raise their families all over the place in Fort Worth -- one spot isn't necessarily any better than the others... just depends on what you're looking for.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:44 PM

5 posts, read 38,968 times
Burleson is a very nice family town, population close to 30,000. It's about 25-30 min's from downtown during traffic. You can buy or rent a very nice house for your price range! There is a water park for the kiddos, lots of parks, shopping, & dining! Love it here.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:21 PM

10,538 posts, read 22,428,002 times
I agree with TexasCrude. It really depends on what you want. New house or older house? More rural, or typical suburban? You have a lot of choices and options within 30 minutes.

The only area you'd really want to avoid is the area to the north, such as Keller, that would require a commute on I35W. That highway is about to be totally reconstructed, and the project will run until 2018.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:30 PM

20 posts, read 54,011 times
I just came to the area recently, working in SW Fort Worth. We moved to North Richland Hills, and love it. Easy commute to Fort Worth, better schools, and plenty of dining/shopping/recreation in the area. It's also one of the 10 safest communities in the Metroplex based on the last crime stats I saw.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:25 AM

16 posts, read 51,493 times
I prefer not to live near Saginaw or Northwest Fort Worth if you like urban communities, if need to go to Dallas Counties for something live near Haltom City or Watuaga, you have easier access to Highway 183 and 820. Don't like rural areas becuz of snakes and scorpions.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:16 PM

410 posts, read 609,161 times
I wouldn't cross Keller or North Fort Worth off the list at all. They are good communities. Yes, I-35 is bad and is about to undergo construction, but 183 and 820 have been under construction for the past year and I haven't noticed much change in the traffic from before construction began. I think many people utilize backroads and avoid the freeway once construction starts. I-35 will probably be the same.

I also agree that Burleson is a nice community. I really like Benbrook, too. It's a nice small town feeling community with some scenic hills and a lake. But some people are turned off by the fact that it's part of FWISD. I think the schools are fine.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:42 AM

10,538 posts, read 22,428,002 times
https://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/p...rth/i-35w.html

Here's the problem: there are really only two back roads (North Main and 157), and they both are already heavily traveled, have stop lights, and school zones. 183 is being rebuilt to add toll lanes, and its still 3 lanes wide during construction. 35w is being rebuilt because its too small, and it will continue to be too small (just 2 lanes) during the rebuild. The highway is a parking lot during morning and afternoon rush, and it can take an hour to get to Keller from downtown (according to my coworkers who live up there.) after the construction finishes in 2018, it will be a much better drive, but for now, it just stinks!

Old 07-22-2013, 07:22 PM

32,545 posts, read 51,084,504 times
If you haven't a change for the worse on 183 since construction started I guess you haven't been driving in the area under construction--
it reeks and yes
--the surface roads HAVE seen a definite uptick in traffic especially during commute times
Frankly I don't think we will see much improvement AFTER 183 is finished because many of the people using it won't pay the toll and will fill up the open/free lanes...

we drove into Dallas the first of the month and frankly I think there are some serious design flaws that are doing to play havoc with drivers who aren't familiar with the roads/interchanges...

What kind of person are you--OP?
religious conservative, liberal, Republican with a big R, do you believe in Creationism vs the Big Bang Theory,
Texas is a very conservative state and small towns are usually more conservative than larger ones--even though Fort Worth is definitely not liberal except in certain pockets and in that larger populations have more liberals just as statistical variation...

Old 08-03-2013, 03:02 AM

2 posts, read 35,105 times
I used to live in North Richland Hills and that area is pretty nice. If you need to go to downtown you can take Davis and then go south on 121. I went to Richland High School in 2003. Yes, ten years ago, but my experience at that time was very positive. You could do worse.

Another perk is that it's easy access to the rest of the metroplex. Benbrook is nice. It's not far from 30 and it's an easy shot to downtown. And I heard that they're building a new retail center there. I wouldn't recommend Burleson though. It's too far from everything and there's nothing to do. It might be nice when your kids are young, but when they reach middle/high school, it's easier for them to fall in the wrong crowd. Ten years might or might not be that long ago, but I remember hearing Burleson peers complaining about their city. You know how's there a joke about nothing to do in Lubbock except drink?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth