U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2013, 08:01 AM

1,576 posts, read 2,915,198 times

Advertisements

I went to tour a few model homes last week and saw a few that had their garage floors done very well. I asked about them and I guess the product was called "color flake". Has anyone here used this before or have a contractor to recommend? I'll give Angie's List a shot if nobody has a referral.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 10:16 AM

32,609 posts, read 51,197,807 times
we had our garage floors acid washed and had the flooring applied w/o the color flake--
my husband didn't really care for that look and the guy doing it said it really didn't hold up because the tires of the cars are normally VERY hot when you drive into the garage after making any kind of a drive...
the heat from the tires will cause the color flakes to come off easier than the main color...

we have found that my single-bay garage (we have double bay and single bay) has more of the paint coming up than where my husband parks in his side of the double bay...
pieces maybe as large as silver dollar or larger...

in FL where we bought vacation house a year ago--we wanted to do similar resurface to the garage floor because it does improve the look of the garage...
the painter doing our job said that it was better to stain vs paint the concrete floor because the stain sinks in the concrete vs the paint which is applied on top and even if sealed is more susceptible to coming up...
so we had the floor sealed about the same dark gray we used on our TX garage floor...
while we are not in/out of this garage as much I do think the stain vs paint is just more logically superior...

so I would suggest doing some more research about which process lasts the longest...

you might also consider getting some cheap outdoor rugs from Costco and putting down as well...
we did that in our FL garage because our SIL parks a vintage truck his dad owned on one side of ours (we bought house next door to our daughter and SIL) and it leaks oil...
we bought some type of dark poly rugs at Costco to use under his truck and replace the cutup cardboard boxes he was using...and my husband liked how they looked so he bought couple more to put on the open side...
so having the garage floor stained is kind of moot at this point...

Old 08-08-2013, 11:31 AM

1,064 posts, read 3,384,917 times
I don't know of a contractor but my brother did this himself on his 3 car garage. He ordered the supplies from Armorclad and took off 2 days of work and did it himself over a 4 day weekend when the wife and kids were gone. It was not a quick job, that's for sure. He had to etch the concrete first because it was a new, unpainted garage and then apply the epoxy, the paint, then sprinkle the flakes and apply the top coat. I remember he did it 2 summers ago, when it was horribly hot. However, he did a great job and it looks really good, very clean, professional and any mess is easy to clean up. We have thought about doing this ourselves also but just haven't gotten around to doing it.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
we had our garage floors acid washed and had the flooring applied w/o the color flake--
my husband didn't really care for that look and the guy doing it said it really didn't hold up because the tires of the cars are normally VERY hot when you drive into the garage after making any kind of a drive...
the heat from the tires will cause the color flakes to come off easier than the main color...

we have found that my single-bay garage (we have double bay and single bay) has more of the paint coming up than where my husband parks in his side of the double bay...
pieces maybe as large as silver dollar or larger...

in FL where we bought vacation house a year ago--we wanted to do similar resurface to the garage floor because it does improve the look of the garage...
the painter doing our job said that it was better to stain vs paint the concrete floor because the stain sinks in the concrete vs the paint which is applied on top and even if sealed is more susceptible to coming up...
so we had the floor sealed about the same dark gray we used on our TX garage floor...
while we are not in/out of this garage as much I do think the stain vs paint is just more logically superior...

so I would suggest doing some more research about which process lasts the longest...

you might also consider getting some cheap outdoor rugs from Costco and putting down as well...
we did that in our FL garage because our SIL parks a vintage truck his dad owned on one side of ours (we bought house next door to our daughter and SIL) and it leaks oil...
we bought some type of dark poly rugs at Costco to use under his truck and replace the cutup cardboard boxes he was using...and my husband liked how they looked so he bought couple more to put on the open side...
so having the garage floor stained is kind of moot at this point...
Do you know much about the product they used? From reading online, it seems that the "home depot" grades only last 2-3 years, but a high quality grade will last up to 15. I'd be pretty upset if it started to peel after a few years....

Old 08-09-2013, 09:32 PM

32,609 posts, read 51,197,807 times
Lot has to do with the prep and I think the quality of concrete you want to seal

Old 08-10-2013, 07:50 AM

17,025 posts, read 2,280,216 times
We had it and replaced it with Gladiator tile. Works like Lego and moves to your next location with you.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:23 PM

28 posts, read 44,299 times
Quote:
Do you know much about the product they used? From reading online, it seems that the "home depot" grades only last 2-3 years, but a high quality grade will last up to 15. I'd be pretty upset if it started to peel after a few years....
I learned that there is a big difference in the type of epoxy flooring you can install in your garage. My brother installed one of those Home Depot kits last year and is already starting to complain. Though I live in California, the area I'm in gets awful hot in the summer and I didn't want his problems but I knew there had to be something better. I mean warehouses use this stuff. I called a flooring guy in my area and I felt like he was just making stuff up.... it just didn't feel right. Fortunately my wife had found this site here All Garage Floors - Garage flooring ideas, options, and tips that explained the differences in garage flooring and how it worked.

What I learned was that the preparation is the most important part and then the quality of the epoxy is important. We ended up finding a guy that we liked and our floor is awesome. It's been in for a year and it still looks brand new. Our guy put down 4 coats total (I think one was a primer?) and we haven't had any problems. And it gets up to 110 degrees here on some days. Just do your homework. We found that you get what you pay for. Good luck

Last edited by nvrfinished; 09-19-2013 at 09:28 PM.. Reason: spelling and wrong name of website

Old 09-20-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrfinished View Post
I learned that there is a big difference in the type of epoxy flooring you can install in your garage. My brother installed one of those Home Depot kits last year and is already starting to complain. Though I live in California, the area I'm in gets awful hot in the summer and I didn't want his problems but I knew there had to be something better. I mean warehouses use this stuff. I called a flooring guy in my area and I felt like he was just making stuff up.... it just didn't feel right. Fortunately my wife had found this site here All Garage Floors - Garage flooring ideas, options, and tips that explained the differences in garage flooring and how it worked.

What I learned was that the preparation is the most important part and then the quality of the epoxy is important. We ended up finding a guy that we liked and our floor is awesome. It's been in for a year and it still looks brand new. Our guy put down 4 coats total (I think one was a primer?) and we haven't had any problems. And it gets up to 110 degrees here on some days. Just do your homework. We found that you get what you pay for. Good luck
Thanks for sharing. We ended up using a guy here in Fort Worth. It was a bit pricey (about $3.75 per square foot), but like you, I came to understand there's a big difference between flooring jobs. He had ~70 reviews on Angies List and gave it a lifetime warranty against fading, peeling, cracking, etc. Said whenever it is that we sell the house the floor will look like the day it was installed, otherwise just give him a call and he'll come repair it!

We're loving it. Well worth the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth