Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 09:28 PM

11 posts, read 13,100 times

Advertisements

We are seriously considering a big move from CA. We're done with the way this state is headed and after reading what everyone has to say, I really like what is said about the FT Worth area but need help narrowing it down.
We are retired but in our early 40's (long story) so jobs and commute are not an issue. We do have a 13 year old boy who is in 8th grade.
Our main concerns are a good school for our boy and a good community where we can feel like we aren't living in the ghetto surrounded by welfare recipients 24/7. I'm not trying to be rude or condescending, but where we live now, there's more people on generational welfare than who work.
I've been reading a lot of what has been said about The area and it seems like a place that may be a good place to raise our son. We know that no place is perfect, but there has to be a better place than the toxic place we live in now.
We will want to buy a house and will have a decent income. We are very blessed to have this opportunity so young. We do not want to waste it.
Any thoughts or recommendations or even advice is welcome.
I've looked at houses and schools in Midlothian, Burleson, Waxahachie and the surrounding areas and we like what we see. We visited one time a few years ago and would like some ideas for when we do come back. But real experience can always enhance the online experience
We live in a desert now, so we are aware that the climate will be similar.. Just looking for some outside ideas. Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 04:53 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
What's your budget for housing?

The areas you mentioned are ok, but they would not be my first choices when I could live anywhere in the metroplex...

Old 09-10-2013, 05:11 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,745 times
There are lots of nice neighborhoods within the city of Fort Worth itself that would give you easier access to all that the Metroplex offers. The cities you're looking at (Midlothian, Waxahachie, Burleson) are kind of out of the way. Or are you looking for something more rural and ex-urban?

Old 09-10-2013, 06:29 PM

We're looking to spend up to about 300k. We would like to be on about at least 1 acre but aren't horse people so we don't really need much more than that (but we won't turn it down) What we really like is that we see we may get that in TX. That's not even thinkable in CA.
We are used to traveling anywhere from 10-45 minutes for a good restaurant or shopping so that's not an issue.
We do not want to live in a suburban cookie cutter nighborhood like we do now.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:23 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
I would look in Argyle, Double Oak or Rockwall for that budget and decent schools for houses on 1+ acre.
Midlothian is certainly worth looking at, too. But, just be aware there have been air quality issues in Midlothian.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:17 PM

I second the recommendations for Rockwall and Argyle. Both have good public schools, pretty terrain, and will have like-minded people. Your budget will buy a nice place in Rockwall, but a little less in Agyle. An acre lot will not be a problem. Rockwall has more convenient shopping, restaurants, etc. than Argyle, although Argyle is fairly close to Flower Mound and Denton.

Google "Midlothian air quality" and see what you come up with. There are good reasons why the housing stock in Ellis County is cheaper than the rest of DFW...

Old 09-12-2013, 07:07 PM

Any other thoughts on any places like Keller, Denton, or Haslet. Like I said, we don't mind driving to services, we just want a little bit of land and space.
Thanks!

Old 09-12-2013, 08:32 PM

Keller...meh. It's a popular place for people to get a larger house for less $, but schools aren't the best and it is a LONG way from anything cultural, and traffic can be awful. Also, there are not many large lots there.

Haslet has space now, but is growing very quickly. Again, there isn't much there, and its a long way out. Most of the roads are still just 2-lane blacktop and have heavy traffic. A lot of the area is also under the flight paths for Alliance (cargo) Airport.

Denton could work, but the schools are not the best. It does have large lots...

Old 09-12-2013, 08:37 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
I know someone who lives in Azle and loves it, is very happy with the schools and says when the road construction work is done that property values are going to go up a lot. I know nothing about Azle but maybe worth checking out.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:40 PM

540 posts, read 1,105,803 times
Well, you might also consider Parker County, west of Fort Worth. I call a lot of this area "rural suburbia"...there are a lot more subdivisions out here than you might think but it doesn't necessarily feel that way...so far. The Aledo school district is typically considered good...probably the best in Parker County. There is a bit more development starting to come out this way but you might want to consider this area.

I just did a quick search on realtor dot com and for Aledo (zip 76008) there are 18 properties under $300k that have at least 0.5 acre lot or more.

I live about 6 minutes beyond Aledo "proper" but can make it to the Hulen Mall or Ridgmar Mall areas in about 20-25 minutes and the downtown/hospital district in about 35 minutes. The downside to this area is lack of good grocery shopping options. There is a Brookshire's grocery in Willow Park and they have good meats and produce and prepared foods but prices are a bit high. Then there is a Super WalMart at Hudson Oaks. Other than that I either drive in to Fort Worth to shop at Albertsons or Tom Thumb or I make a trip down to Granbury (35 minutes from my house) to HEB every few weeks. For everything else I split my shopping between Weatherford and Fort Worth.

I don't actually know much about the Keller/Haslet areas...except that everytime I'm on I-35 in that vicinity I hate it and vow to avoid it at all costs.

My parents spent a few years in Waxahachie...I only visited there and it is an OK town but not my cup of tea. I would certainly pick Aledo over Midlothian and Burleson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth