U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2013, 07:37 PM

1,575 posts, read 2,908,399 times

Advertisements

I just bought myself a Big Green Egg and decided I could really use some lessons on how to get into smoking / bbqing. Anyone know of a local joint that offers all day courses?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 10:18 AM

1,064 posts, read 3,378,139 times
I am assuming you purchased it through a dealer? Would they know of anyone who does classes? What about online videos or tutorials?

I had never seen a BGE until I went to visit my future spouse in AL. Everyone has one out there and that is all they ever use. My mother in law and her husband have referred to the forum, (www.eggheadforum.com) for help. I know that isn't exactly the same as a physical course.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:56 AM

14,088 posts, read 6,783,455 times
We've had our Egg for close to 10 years. Bought it mainly to smoke, but use it for everything.
Jackson's Home & Garden in Dallas might offer some classes and I think BarBQ Galore offers some from time to time. There should have been a CD in your packaging that might help. Lot's of information (and help) on the egghead forum if you need it.

Just read the book and jump in. We do baby back ribs all the time. Make our own rub, rub them down the day before and smoke low for maybe about 4 hours for 3 racks. We use the ceramic disc a lot when smoking and put a small tray of water on it. Read the forum and just follow the directions - you will love the egg. It used to be hard to find the hardwood charcoal but it's everywhere now.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:36 PM

1,575 posts, read 2,908,399 times
Good to hear you're enjoying the Egg Kibby. I signed up for some lessons through Premier Grilling, which has a class dedicated to the BGE. Should be fun -- will let everyone know how it goes!

Old 11-17-2013, 08:57 PM

6 posts, read 6,715 times
First don't waste money on lessons. Start off by making some basic brines and marinades. I used the same for both but for poultry I add salt of everything else it gets just equal parts of bop dark brown sugar, light brown sugar and raw sugar (and yes it matters that it's raw sugar) add black pepper and cayenne pepper to taste. For a brine follow the same but add salt until it's just slightly salty. Add that to a mixture of equal parts apple juice and apple cider, I use the frozen concentrates because they are cheaper and can be made stronger than regular apple juice and cider. Make enough brine or marinade to completely cover the meat, turkey oven bags work great as a container. Put it in the fridge for 12 hours. 6 hours before you are ready to smoke your meat pack you meat in the rub. The rub is super easy, it's the same ingredients as the brine but use more salt. I like to make my rub almost too spicy because the smoke mellows it out but I like my BBQ a little spicy.

So at this point you have 18 hours of prep in. Light your smoker about an hour before your ready to put on the meat. This allows the smoker to stabilize and makes for consistent cooking. I like to start my smoker out low about 175 until the meat is smoked to what I like. I determine by color, a dark gold. Once I'm happy with my color I wrap the meat and add more rub on top before I close it up. Kick your heat up to 225 and let your meat finish to temp. I usually pull my meat about 180ish.

Chickens usually smoke for about 2 hours before they are wrapped, 4 hours total cook time.
Ribs are similar to chicken, when the meat pulls back on the bone it's done.
Brisket smokes for 6 hours and cooks for a total of 12ish hours.
Pork butt/shoulder is similar to brisket but cooks for 8ish hours. I also trim the skin off but try to leave as much fat as possible.

Find rub recipes online that are easy and sound good to you and go from there.

Or go and buy grub-rub. That stuff is AMAZING and no you can not make a better rub but I don't like the price. I also use Stubbs BBQ sauce instead of making my own.

Steaks are great on the smoker and take about an hour or so, just season like you normally would.

If you need more suggestions google the smoke ring and they will take you to a million BBQ sites and forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth