Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2013, 07:15 PM

4 posts, read 7,039 times

Advertisements

I am originally from Dallas, but have been gone (college, military, etc.) for the last ten years. I recently moved back and intend to take a job I was offered in Southlake right off 114. Because I've never lived anywhere in TX except my parents' homes when I was in high school, I was hoping for some advice on where I should look for an apartment.

About me:

I'm 28, a "young professional," single male, I like to run and ride bikes for exercise, I own a 65lbs. labrador retriever. I own a car, but don't want a long commute. I prefer safe neighborhoods. Ideally, I'd live in an apartment complex or town home with others nearby that are of similar age, etc. In New England the cost of living was a LOT higher, and I was having to pay $1200/month. I would like to keep it below that, but I'll call that my upward limit.

Arlington and Irving (specifically Las Colinas) were suggested, but I wanted to hear if there were any others or if anyone had to say about those areas.

Thank you for your help.

--Recently returned Texan, happy to be home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 08:52 PM

11,835 posts, read 26,765,502 times
Southlake is family central, as are most of the nearby cities, and there are no apartments anywhere in Southlake proper. So, even though you don't want a long commute, you are going to have to make one in order to get what you want.

Las Colinas would be my first suggestion. That's the closest to Southlake that meets your needs. Unfortunately, it's going to be a lengthy commute in in the morning rush hour as traffic heading north on 360 and west on 114 is heavy.

You might be able to find a place in Grapevine. Look at the new loft apartments at Texan Trail and Northwest. This would definitely be closer, but I'm not sure about the demographics of the tenants.

Arlington? No. First, the drive to Southlake is not a direct route and has heavy traffic, and aside from UTA, there aren't many similar people to your demographic there.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:05 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,563,535 times
It's probably less than 15 miles from Las Colinas to Southlake. I wouldn't rule that out ;however, I'm not sure what you consider a long commute. Living in the Metroplex you're going to have to deal with some traffic, and there are much worse commutes than the one listed above now that the section of 114 by the airport is mostly complete. 7 lanes per side in one stretch. I drive through there in morning rush probably three times per week and have yet to see it be backed up.

Going north on 121/114 in the afternoons it may back up a little. Usually not too bad. The problem is the drop down to two lanes between DFW connector and Sam Rayburn, but coming from Las Colinas it wouldn't be in consideration.

I would second a Grapevine investigation as well.

Old 09-26-2013, 04:49 AM

Believe me, Ace. Traffic heading into Grapevine from the south in the mornings is HEAVY. I'm leaving town and heading south, and I just marvel at it!

Old 09-26-2013, 08:50 AM

I believe you, but I drove through there today at 8:30 from the 635 exit to the 114 121 split at 70mph with no issues. This was traveling south on 121 direction.

Are you talking about the stretch of 114 heading north before it combines with 121 or after they split again?

Old 09-26-2013, 01:58 PM

8:30 is long after rush hour is done. I'm talking between 7:15 and 8 am. I see the traffic coming north on 121 and 360 as I zoom south on 121!

Old 09-26-2013, 02:44 PM

440 posts, read 864,926 times
I 2nd Grapevine-specifically the north side of 114...plenty of parks-bike trails and walking trails-close to the lake for the lab to run and swim.....also depending on what you want Roanoke might be an option as well-they have apts and town homes (we stayed there for a while with three dogs and one was a lab) although it is a real mixed bag of ages-will take you less than 10 mins to work from there....super close to Trophy Club Park and the TC dog park and lake..plenty of restaurants in Roanoke's main center-plenty of parks and rec center....and based on the number of runners and bikers I see in TC and Roanoke on a daily basis I don't think you'll have a problem making a connection or too.

Old 09-26-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
8:30 is long after rush hour is done. I'm talking between 7:15 and 8 am. I see the traffic coming north on 121 and 360 as I zoom south on 121!
360 is irrelevant to this equation as no one would use it coming from Las Colinas. 114 is all you would need to travel, and post construction it's not an issue.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:20 AM

9 posts, read 25,972 times
I'd suggest the north Fort Worth/Keller area. My family lives here now, and I believe we're about 20 minutes from Southlake from where we live now. We're right in far north Fort Worth on the border of Keller.

The walking trails and parks are wonderful, and there's rarely any crime around here. There's a ton of nice houses even that you could rent for the $1,200 range, and there's plenty of town homes and apartments as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth